Which output to use on the Axe 3

neale dunham

Experienced
Hi,
At present I am using output 1 and output 2 from my Axe 3 to run two Fryette Powerstation Amps into 2 celestion 1x12 speakers independently.

After revisiting the manual, I am wondering whether to use to the unbalanced Outputs 3 + 4?
Is there much point in doing this?
What differences are there between the outputs?
I don’t want to go to the trouble of changing it all over unnecessarily only to find there is no discernible distinction?
Thanks

Apart from balanced vs humbuster, no real differences. Except that 3 and 4 have less output level because they’re unity gain with the control maxed, but the PS is loud enough to compensate.

I use out 1 to FOH and out 2 to my GT1000fx. Works great, no noise, strong signal. I did use out 3 once and it works, but had to increase the output block volume to match out2 (obvious, I know). I did this to add a PEQ block when experimenting with different cabs. Had a mesa vertical coming out of output 2 and a 1x12 out of output 3. No noise issue even not using a hum buster cable coming out of output3.

I'm using "normal" guitar cabs. Right now I have a mesa vertical 2x12 and a mesa compact 2x12 - all loaded with v-30s. I use two amp blocks, 1 for my FOH chain going to output1 and the other chains going to output 2 into my matrix. For the FOH path the advanced page of the amp block is set to FRFR, For the output 2 / Matrix path it's set to SS Pwr Amp + Cab. I also use the mesa 2x12 impedance curve. I have been very happy with the results.

I think im correct in saying that outputs 1+2 offer +20dB of volume from the front buttons.

So im guessing about noon on the dial would be unity gain?

I think im correct in saying that outputs 1+2 offer +20dB of volume from the front buttons.

So im guessing about noon on the dial would be unity gain?

I have no idea but why would that be important?

As you may remember I have Celestion F12 X200 and I sent it back to them for extensive testing after the speaker sounded as if it was blown, The results have stated that clipping maybe the issue.
As I am using Output 1 and this apparently offers +20db of gain.
Therefore, If Celestion say the speaker is working as expected and has no faults. This rules out the speaker. I Doubt it will be the Powerstation.

This is just a theory, but maybe I had the gain too high for the speaker on the axe fx if I had the dial for Output 1 set near maximum?

It’s a 200w speaker. It can handle a lot.

Clipping can occur inside the Axe-Fx, and is indicated by the red Output LED.

Clipping can occur at the input stage of the Power Station, because of the incoming signal being too loud, but that’s very unlikely.

I think maybe, as I was unaware that Output 1 is capable of adding +20dB I might have turned the output knob up too much for the Tweeter to handle not necessarily the main Driver.

Incidentally, Which output do you use for your feed to
your Powerstation Yek?

Last edited:
Not a power station user however at the outset when i first read the thread to me your symptoms did infer clipping to me... and reading the datasheet of the powerstation two things pop out..
1) the line in has no spec (and should), however none of the examples are likely to be stronger than +4dB...so a max'd out1 could well cause the input to clip
2) one of the troubleshooting tips for "distortion" is to " Check the signal level at other devices in the signal path or in the loop"

my 2c says you will be back on track..and look forward to a review :)

Agreed Mystic,

I think once I get my speaker back I can lower the output levels using Output 3 and I should be good to go!

Review is almost on its way....

Back
Top Bottom