Which of these two SG's would you prefer?

Which of these SG's would you prefer?

• Total voters

Suhrfer

Experienced
The Angus Young SG has a 1.55 nut!

As a signature model from Gibson USA that’s made to the artist’s own specifications, the Angus Young SG undoubtedly looks the part. Dressed in a high-gloss finish, the guitar carries Angus-certified “lightning bolt” inlays on its rosewood fingerboard, a signature-engraved truss-rod cover, and contrasting vintage-cream fingerboard binding and selector switch ring. The Angus Young SG’s distinctions don’t end with the visuals, though, and this model is built from the ground up to a short-lived set of specs that are rare in existing SGs today.

Light, ultra-resonant mahogany is selected for its dual-horned body, while the dimensions of the guitar’s solid-mahogany neck are extremely unusual. Matching the extra slim, narrow neck on Angus’s own ’68 SG Standard, the Angus Young SG carries a neck that’s just 0.775” thick at the 1st fret, and 0.850” thick at the 12th, with a nut width of 1.550”. These specs yield a neck that is superbly playable, equally suited to grinding power-chord rhythm work and speed-freak soloing. To squeeze every drop of tone from the instrument, Gibson USA loads it with the popular ’57 Classic humbucking pickup in the neck and an Angus Young Signature humbucker in the bridge for added punch and sizzle. Vintage-style tuners and a Corian nut grace the headstock, while down at the business end, the classic pairing of a tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece keep things rock solid.

Oops, it was supposed to be 120th Anniversary SG in the poll above.

In celebration of 120 years of making some of the finest and most influential instruments on the planet, Gibson USA has gone through their most popular models and found ways to improve, expand upon, and perfect their guitars for the year 2014. Also these models come equipped with Cleartone coated strings, a Graphtech nut, and cryogenic treated fret wire for longer life and corrosion resistance. Also some new models are being introduced to meet the demands of musicians’ ever expanding taste and playing styles.

Introducing the new 2014 SG Standard; it is better than ever! With Gibson’s state-of-the-art Min-Etune system, you get the pinpoint accuracy and immediate robot tuning that takes human error out of the equation. ’57 Classic humbuckers deliver authentic gritty, powerful SG soul, with push/pull coil tapping for modern versatility. We are really liking the ’61 style small pickguard as well!

120th Anniversary Model
Heritage Cherry Finish
Solid Mahogany Body
SG Slim Profile Mahogany Neck
Rosewood Fretboard with Trapezoid Inlays and 120st Anniversary on 12th Fret
24.75" Scale Length
22 Frets
'57 Classic Humbuckers with Coil Splitting
Individual Volume Controls and Tone Controls
Three Way Selector Switch
Min-Etune System
Tune-o-Matic Bridge with Stopbar Tailpiece
Vintage Tuners
Black Graph Tech Nut
Chrome Hardware

Last edited:
So close, but I voted for the Anniversary model SG, although both would have been the best option. For some odd reason though I'm craving spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread now, so maybe I should have voted for that.

I voted 50th anniversary. I would add the Zappa Roxy SG to the choices.

ITFkHtC.jpg

120th anniversary model, except, I like the straight up stock '61 RI without the E-tune stuff. The AY model is cool, but I'm not into the inlays.

ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!!

Guess it depends on what the Angus pickups are like. I am not a fan of 57s in the bridge so they would have to come out of the Anniversary model. Does Gibson actually market the Corian nut as a feature? That's a joke. Worst material this side of plastic for a nut. Also if it isn't a nitro finish I'm usually not interested. Don't like glossy SGs. My Custom Shop 61RI blows either if these away ( I'm biased). I think the Roxy is fugly. I had spaghetti and meatballs tonight.

If you're really into looks and image, then go with yuor heart. For any guitar purchase, I strongly recommend playing it, acoustically first, tehn with clean sounds then with dirty, to see wnat floats your boat. Even same-model guitars vary significantly.

If you're really into looks and image, then go with yuor heart. For any guitar purchase, I strongly recommend playing it, acoustically first, tehn with clean sounds then with dirty, to see wnat floats your boat. Even same-model guitars vary significantly.

I'm not asking for advice on how to choose a guitar nor do I care about image. I'm just curious what others thought of these two guitars. I personally do not like either.

^--- haha, ok :)

fwiw, I wasn't criticising people who are into looks and image, so my advice stands for those: go with your heart.

Alright, in that case I'll vote for the anniversary because the wood looks nice ;)

Not much of an SG player and never really liked signature guitars but if I had to pick one I would have to go for the 50th.

^--- haha, ok :)

fwiw, I wasn't criticising people who are into looks and image, so my advice stands for those: go with your heart.

Alright, in that case I'll vote for the anniversary because the wood looks nice ;)

I agree with you about going with your heart and playing a guitar before buying it. I would feel confident buying a Suhr and a few select others online but not anything from Gibson. I really don't want that to offend anyone. I wish Gibson would get thier quality control shit together. As far as these two SG's go, I recently watched two guys go at it online over the bezels on these guitars. The bezels on the Angus sig do not cut in as far as the other. Apparently this is how the SG's used to be made. They were going at it over which was best. It was brutal. I bet most if not all here did not notice. I didn't until it was pointed out.

Having played a SG that subsequently lost it's headstock after I slipped on stage, I'm not their biggest fan and as such, I have not voted.

I like everything about the Angus except the inlays and that nut width. I'd love to get one with a standard nut width in that color scheme with trapezoid or block inlays.

The Frank Zappa Roxy model beats the pants off of both of these - amazing switching options for a much larger tonal palette.

I'm sure the Angus is a fine SG, I'm just not a huge fan of the lightning inlays. For an SG I prefer the traditional red of the Standard.

Back
Top Bottom