Which noise gate to use?

Hansen

Experienced
It is possible to insert a noise gate as a block in the layout, however there is also a noise get one the IN (first block) of the layout. Does this mean we should primarily use that gate if we need noise gate or do people insert it as a separate block instead?

The way I see it... benefits to the noise gate as a block: can be toggled on and off quickly and easily with fx bypass state, can be placed after the amp if that's your bag. Benefits to the noise gate on the input block: one less block to have in the preset. They're not mutually exclusive either, you could have the input noise gate to cut down on some hiss when not playing and then a GTE block after the amp to keep your rhythms snare drum tight if that's your thing. I personally tend to only use the input block noise gate, 'cause it's just one less thing to add. ;)

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...noise_gate#Noise_gate_types:_preset_and_block

Most people just use the default to clean up the signal before any gain or effects are added (a very good idea).

You can, however, use the block later on (say, after the amp) and side-chain the input so that it is "seeing" and reacting to the input dynamics, but applying the gate wherever you've set the block.

I like it better as a block after the amp and cab blocks. It feels more alive to play like this.

I do have some older presets using the input gate, but I usually set the attack to at least 20ms to avoid messing with the attack transient too much.

I use the Noise Gate block as the first effect in my chain. I do not the noise gate on the input section and have the threshold at 0. I have the Gate block dialed in to be fairly tight and aggressive and only activated on my rhythm channel to keep the rhythm playing tight. For my lead and clean channel, I have it disabled so I can hold really long notes and/or do subtle techniques without worrying about my signal cutting out.

I personally like to have the noise gate first in the chain because I'm always tweaking my amp tone. If I have the noise gate after the amp and change any amp block parameters - like boosting mids or cutting bass or something - I'll have to readjust the gate to compensate for the volume changes. By having the gate first in the chain, I know I won't have to adjust the gate block because my guitar's volume knob is either 100% open or completely closed. It's consistent. For me, having the Gate block first is just "set it and forget it."

Last edited:
About 80% of my presets are gateless... always try to have as little gating as possible, just don't like the feel... As ML noted in his vid, going lower on input/preamp gain helps and a lot of time you will not notice. That practice can help find just the right spot in input gain sometimes really...

When I need a gate, I use the 'Intelligent' mode of the default input gate rather than burning a block on it. Again, I just go for the most unobtrusive setting for the preset @ hand.

If that is not 100% satisfactory I do have just a handful of presets where I use the gate on a super low setting where it is actually still letting noise through and then supplement it with LP filter whose cut off frequency is controlled by the envelope. I almost always customize the slope of the envelope controller so that it is specifically tailored to the preset. This helps stop hissing as the note fades without completely choking the note. It's kind of a fiddly setup but sometimes I feel like it helps preserve the feel without sacrificing the gain level.

If that is not 100% satisfactory I do have just a handful of presets where I use the gate on a super low setting where it is actually still letting noise through and then supplement it with LP filter whose cut off frequency is controlled by the envelope. I almost always customize the slope of the envelope controller so that it is specifically tailored to the preset. This helps stop hissing as the note fades without completely choking the note. It's kind of a fiddly setup but sometimes I feel like it helps preserve the feel without sacrificing the gain level.
OMG this is genius. I must try this.

1. Am I right that the first gate only controls the noise when not playing? So I should set this as high so that the amp does not make any noise when I am not playing?
2. For tight rhytm playing on high gain presets I should add a gate after the amp to avoid noise from the actual playing?

1. Am I right that the first gate only controls the noise when not playing? So I should set this as high so that the amp does not make any noise when I am not playing?
2. For tight rhytm playing on high gain presets I should add a gate after the amp to avoid noise from the actual playing?

A gate can't stop noise when you are playing. If the notes come through so does the noise. A gate is not a noise reduction processor.

A gate can help noise at the end of notes and chords. When you hold a note or chord, when the notes are trailing off, the noise can be more noticeable.

A gate can be setup to create an artificial release envelope. This effectively turns down the entire signal so the noise is diminished along with the notes.

I have a love/hate relationship with noise gates. I use them as little as possible. Most of my presets have no gate, but I find a few that need just a touch to quiet them down. My issue with not liking them is on the note decay not the attack. I love the little after-tones that occur as a note decays. The gates chop them off or silently kill them. If I can avoid the gates I do.

I use the Noise Gate block as the first effect in my chain. I do not the noise gate on the input section and have the threshold at 0. I have the Gate block dialed in to be fairly tight and aggressive and only activated on my rhythm channel to keep the rhythm playing tight. For my lead and clean channel, I have it disabled so I can hold really long notes and/or do subtle techniques without worrying about my signal cutting out.

I personally like to have the noise gate first in the chain because I'm always tweaking my amp tone. If I have the noise gate after the amp and change any amp block parameters - like boosting mids or cutting bass or something - I'll have to readjust the gate to compensate for the volume changes. By having the gate first in the chain, I know I won't have to adjust the gate block because my guitar's volume knob is either 100% open or completely closed. It's consistent. For me, having the Gate block first is just "set it and forget it."
You can set the side chain selection parameter to "INPUT 1" so it will track the input while the gating happens after the amp.

A gate can't stop noise when you are playing. If the notes come through so does the noise. A gate is not a noise reduction processor.

A gate can help noise at the end of notes and chords. When you hold a note or chord, when the notes are trailing off, the noise can be more noticeable.

A gate can be setup to create an artificial release envelope. This effectively turns down the entire signal so the noise is diminished along with the notes.

Well it sure can remove the hiss when you are not problem. That is one of the main uses.

Back
Top Bottom