Which monitor to go for?

jonnyguitarman

Inspired
Been using mu shiny new Axe fx 2 for the last 3 weeks straight into my mac with a couple of m-audio monitors. Great but want more volume and something I can use live.

Done a bit of research and its come down to a choice of a QSC k12 of an Atomic Reactor FR wedge.

The only thing really stoppin me making the jump is the price as I can get a used Atomic in mint condition for £400 or I'll have to spend £750 on the QSC. Just want some opinions and a bit of guidance. So, Atomic for 400 of QSC for 750? Is the QSC worth the extra?

The Atomic sounds nice, and will be a definite step up from what you've been hearing. In my opinion, the RCF is the best of the bunch right now (with the new Matrix and CLR not out yet to test) but it is a lot more expensive than the option you have with the Atomic.

They are right - the Axe-FX II sounds like a dream through the RCF's, but you will pay handsomely for them. Mike Pyle is the guy to buy these from (mike@audiopyle.com) - we don't talk about his pricing out of respect and at his request, but he will cut you a great deal. If you can swing it, these are probably the kittens mittens (sorry - best I could do at the moment!). The other choices are probably also good, but the defacto 'best' seems to be these, at least for the moment. If you are able to take the leap, you will not be disappointed.

Pete

Thanks for the info. I've emailed the guy about the NX12SMA but got a feeling its way above my price point.

Has anyone had experience of both the Atomic and the QSC? If so which out of the two would you go fit taking into account budget is a big issue at the minute as I've just spunked 2K on the greatest piece of kit to happen to the guitar since the invention of the pickup :)

There has to be something in your price range where your at... Have you looked at the DB stuff? Last I remember that was a good monitor for the money on your side of the pond.

EDIT: The Flexsys and LD systems I think are the ones that some on the board here talk about.

Last edited:
I have the Atomic Passive wedge and Atomic 50/50 power amp which is the same as in the Atomic powered wedges and cabs. they are very well matched to give you a powerful and musical experience with your Axe II. I am really enjoying this for live use and get some great clean crunch and lead sounds with plenty of Oomph. ~for the price you cant go wrong.

Im also looking to purchase something to use with the Axe mainly for in-home use but would like as
good as I can get. However Id ideally like something I can run occasionally as a home theater setup.
Not necessarily 5.1 or anything like that, just two speakers. Can the RCF's be used in any way for this
as well or would I have to just go with studio type monitors such as the Focals or Genelecs????
Any suggestions or ideas appreciated.

Im also looking to purchase something to use with the Axe mainly for in-home use but would like as
good as I can get. However Id ideally like something I can run occasionally as a home theater setup.
Not necessarily 5.1 or anything like that, just two speakers. Can the RCF's be used in any way for this
as well or would I have to just go with studio type monitors such as the Focals or Genelecs????
Any suggestions or ideas appreciated.

You could do that with ether though I would probably lean toward the RCF's for the extra flexibility.

Love my QSC K10....for the money it's worked well for bedroom and gigs. If I had the money, I would probably move to the RCFs...

db Technologies bought RCF a few years ago, so (a salesman told me) the db flexsys 12 coax monitor is using the same components as the RCF NX12, which is more than twice as expensive as the db flexsys. At the moment I'm having the flexsys 12 in my rehearsal room for testing, it's by far the loudest 12" coax i ever heard (we are talking about budget class, not Mayer Sound, K&M, etc...) it has a very clean, big sound and has tons of bass-power. I also have the LD Systems Mon 12 Coax Monitor (2 pcs) for 2 years now and I'm very happy with them. They have a very dry, natural sound, at the moment I like 'em more than the flexsys, which - caused by a bass-reflex tunnel - they produce a little more bass than the LD Monitors, but for a price of about € 550,- they are a real bargain.
In A/B Comparison the musicstore, where I bought my LD's, they found no sonic difference between the db Flexsys 12 Coax and the RCF NX-12. So it should be worth a try...... I even think they have the exact measurements ;-)

Cheers,

Andy from Red Bull Country

And, before I forget .... Hands off the db Opera Systems Monitors. I didn't find even one of them sounding "great" for guitars. IMHO Floor monitors with coax driven 2-way systems sound way more natural and have a bigger sweet spot. This is just MY personal experience, so don't shoot me ;-) All of the db Opera 2-way Pa-Speakers sound extremely "processed" (I have two Opera 415 since 4 Years, I know what I'm talking about...)

Cheers,
Andy

Back
Top Bottom