Which midi cable with the GCP for phantom power?

octatonic

Experienced
Hi all,

I did a search but couldn't find the answered.

I have a GCP and my AXE FX is incoming.
I currently phantom power my GCP using a GCX but I am downsizing my rig and hoping to get away with using the GCP without the GCX being required.
I see that both the GCP and the Axe FX have 7 pin midi but I currently power the GCP with a 5 pin midi cable.
On the back of the Axe FX it says 'phantom power to pins 6 & 7'.
Hmmm...

If I wanted to power the GCP using phantom power directly from the Axe FX what would I need?
A 7 pin to 7 pin midi cable?
A 7 pin to 5 pin mici cable?
A 5 pin to 5 pin midi cable?

Many thanks.

I did a bit more searching.

Looks like I need a 7 pin cable, right?

Also, I have to plug the GCP's power adapter into the back of the AFX to get the phantom power?

Hi James,
yes, GCP power adapter into back of AXE to get power on pin 6&7.

Easiest would be, to have it done with a 7 to 5 midi cable. Problem is, that you have to check,
1.) on which pins the GCP needs the power.
2.) on which pins on the 5 pin side of the 7 to 5 cable power comes along /from pin 6 & 7 on the 7 pin side).

Maybe this will fit as is, maybe not.

With some soldering, cable and connectors, you could just make an adaptor (this is what I would do).

But other folks with the GCP will chime in and probably have better suggestions.

Good luck!

7 to 5 Midi cable (with adapter input jack next to 5 pin jack) has to be used
in case the unit itself (AxeFx in this case) isn't capable of sending power to a controller via Midi cable,
in other words, it has no 7 pin Midi In but only 5 Pin.
However, AxeFx is very capable of doing that since it does have 7 pin Midi In.
GCP also has 7 pin Midi Out so everything is in place to go with 7 to 7 Midi cable, :)

Muris_Varajic said:
7 to 5 Midi cable (with adapter input jack next to 5 pin jack) has to be used
in case the unit itself (AxeFx in this case) isn't capable of sending power to a controller via Midi cable,
in other words, it has no 7 pin Midi In but only 5 Pin.
However, AxeFx is very capable of doing that since it does have 7 pin Midi In.
GCP also has 7 pin Midi Out so everything is in place to go with 7 to 7 Midi cable, :)

Sorry, this is a bit confusing to me.

Are you saying I just need a 7 pin midi cable?
Or a 7 pin midi cable AND the GCP power adapter plugged into the back of the Axe FX?

Many thanks.

You need both, otherwise you won't get power on the cable.

This is the nicest solution indeed.
Hope this works for you, have fun.

Yup, 7 to 7 cable and GCP power adapter plugged in the back of AxeFx,
AxeFx is just a middle man so it doesn't give any power on its own, it's selfish. :)

there is an instructional video with the gcp thats pretty informative.it should be in this section of the forum.

sidler72 said:
there is an instructional video with the gcp thats pretty informative.it should be in this section of the forum.

Cheers.
I check it out - had everything up pretty quickly.

I use the Rocktron RMM 900 midi cable from Axe-Fx to my GCP. Just plug the GCP adapter to the Axe-Fx phantom power jack and you'll be good to go. ;)

Back
Top Bottom