Which Mesa combo to amplify my Axe-Fx?

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
Not a question you run into every day. Anyways, I'm searching for a high quality combo amp that I can use at rehearsals as is but if I want to I can use the power amp and speaker with my Axe-Fx as the preamp only to get the most versatile combo possible. Now, Mesas cost a lot here in Europe. Too much TBH. The preamp isn't that important since I'm probably going to be using different preamps from the Axe-Fx most of the time. I have a few options. Mesa F-50, Mesa Express, Rectoverb or something close to that.

1) Which one of these do you think has the best power amp or is it basically the same power section in every 50W 6L6 Mesa combo?

2) Are there other combos like Fender or something else that has basically the same power amp as the Mesa power amps? Would be a lot cheaper than Mesa...

Thanks in advance!

I have a few offers already. Mesa F-50 for 900€. And a few offers on Rectoverbs but we don't know the price for those. Someone actually asked 2000€ for a 1x12 Rectoverb... that's crazy expensive IMO. I can't find Mark series combos ATM which is weird.

In theory you can use pretty much any amplifier with an FX Return.
The problem with using a guitar cab is you are then going to be processing the Axe FX (which models power stages) with another power amp stage.
Mesa, in particular, are quite coloured and you will have to be ok with the idea of having a 'mesa' tonality to all your tones.
If that is ok with you then you could go for a DC5, F50, Lonestar, Express or any that suits your budget.

You are paying for the entire amp though so it probably isn't cost effective unless you buy used.

Yes, Fender, Marshall and other companies also have amps with FX returns.

Why do you want a combo in particular?

Well there are many reasons. The first reason is that I want to own a proper tube amp and not only rely on my Axe-Fx. (I'm actually a bit scared that I'm getting used to some digital aspects the Axe-Fx still produces) And I'm kinda sick of IRs to be honest. The second reason is that I have to play clubs with crappy PA systems and I'm not going FRFR. I tried the Atomic Reactor and it wasn't my cup of tea. The other day I had a chance to gig with an Orange Rockeverb combo and I literally started drooling when I played it. I'm 100% for Mesa... always have been. I'm in a situation where I have enough money to buy an amp or go abroad so I'm trying to find a way to do both. Why a combo? Because of the simplicity. I don't want to hurt my back carrying a halfstack. I actually prefer a 2x12 cab over a 4x12 cab anyways. I guess I'll limit my options to strictly Mesa combos.

Do any of you know the main differences between vintage Mesa power amps and modern Mesa power amps?

have you considered any of the blackstar combos? i own a 5 watt head and its awesome, you should check out their combos i recommend them.

I just got my ULTRA the other day and ran thru the presets on a pair of MACKIE HR824s. Sounded pretty good, but something was missing!

Ran it thru my Mesa Boogie F-30 and my jaw was on the floor!

Demo'ed an ATOMIC powered wedge and something was STILL missing.

Now I'm in the market for a 2nd F-30 so I can hear everything in stereo!

Yeah rectoverb is awesome, but I have always use mesa until I tried the orange rockerverb 50!
Plug and play, Nice reverb, great clean, sounds incredible, also sounds incredible at low volume!
But god i hated that orange color!! (I had head + 4x12 orange cab, even my guitar was orange at that time!!

monorange.jpg

Even our old living room was orange (one wall!!) :I
Forgot to say that for a mesa combo your best choice is a Mark IV., my favorite amp for sure!
But be prepare to spend time learning it, not plug and play :p
Or check the Mark V, haven't tried it but I'm sure that it's incredible!!
The mark amps are like having 5 or 6 amps in one!!

Last edited:
Even our old living room was orange (one wall!!) :I
Forgot to say that for a mesa combo your best choice is a Mark IV., my favorite amp for sure!
But be prepare to spend time learning it, not plug and play :p
Or check the Mark V, haven't tried it but I'm sure that it's incredible!!
The mark amps are like having 5 or 6 amps in one!!

i agree! i have a mark 4 and it rocks!

best amp i have ever played but you have to know how to work it

the cool thing about using the axe fx this way is that you also have the possiblity of using the axe fx in front of your combo for effects only (just create a signal chain without an amp and cab block). i've tried it through the power amp section of a mark IV and it sounded great

Haha, funny Orange story. I've actually owned two Mark IV's in the past. One was a combo and one was the head version. Also two Mark III's. I know how to tweak them. I'm just worried that the overall tone of that amp comes from the graphic EQ and I don't know what it'll sound like if I use a preamp from the Axe-Fx through that combo. Will everything still sound like a Mark series amp. That's not something I want. And I actually got sick of that tone since I had to scoop it a lot not to sound vintage and then it didn't cut in a mix. :( The Recto power amp on the other hand is something I'd like my Axe-Fx going through.

I'm glad that Caribefatboy is going through the same phase I am. So glad that I'm not the only one. :)

Love the sound of my Axe going into the fx return of my Mark V but YMMV. FRFR hasn't done it for me yet but this setup makes me very happy these days.

I'd say without doubt the Mark V combo. I run my Ultra through mine using 4 cable method and it's great. My logic is that I presume you have an Axe-FX because you want variety of tone and, if so, then the Mk V must be one of the most flexible amps around.

If you wish to bypass the Mk V preamp and use the combo only for amplifying the Axe-FX tones, it probably doesn't matter so much, although I prefer my Axe through 6L6 than EL34 because they give a better clean base to load onto.

Don't think for one minute that the Mk V is a metal amp, it can be if you want but it also covers all ranges down to Fender cleans. It's the best amp I have played through - I've got two, I like them that much. Between that and the Axe-FX, you can do most things.

It's pretty expensive. I know the features trust me, I almost bought one instead of th Axe. :) If I'm mostly using the Axe preamps then it's stupid to buy something that expensive. The power section is pretty much the same in vintage Mesa's that go for under a thousand € right?

How's the Mark V power amp compared to Fender power amps?

Back
Top Bottom