Which Line 6 Relay do you use with the AX8?

Hansen

Experienced
So this is obviously only for the people who use Line 6 Relay with their AX8. I have used G90 with my Axe II and have decided to stick with Relay as I already have the transmitter. A few questions:

1. Can I use my G90 Transmitter for the Relay G10, G30, G50 or G70?
2. Which is your preferred option of these four? I am looking for a unit to have together on a pedalboard with an EXP and the AX8. To me the G30 (less expensive and no antennas) or G10 seems like the best choice, but are these durable enough?
3. Is there any convenient way I could combine my G90 with the AX8?

Last edited:
I use the Line 6 g30 - a decent little unit aside from the battery clip is not the most robust piece of engineering (nothing a piece of duct tape or a rubber band wont solve.)

1. The G90 transmitter looks to be the TBP12, same as the G50. From the TBP12 manual:

"Switching between RF1 and RF2 Mode
The TBP12 with V2 or later firmware utilizes our latest digital wireless transmission method, and is fully channel compatible with Relay G30, Relay G50, Relay G90, XD-V35, XD-V55 and XD-V75 models that have Version 2 software running RF2 mode"

2. I have the G50 and like having it on my pedalboard. Cuts down on setup time for me.

I use the G-90. I do not always use it though. Sometimes I still use my trusty cable (Mogami Gold 18'). It really depends on the venue. I have been using the G-90 for years without a glitch. I did swap out the transmitter cable though. I use a high-quality Lava cable. Don't remember the manufacturer. Sorry. Gettin' old.

I have the G50 and the G10. I used the G50 for a few years and then switched to the G10. The range on the G10 is definitely limited to 50 feet or so, but the ease of use is outstanding, and the fact that it is rechargeable is what sold me initially. No cable for the transmitter, just plug it right into your guitar. Also, I take it out between sets and it charges back to full again in 10-15 mins. Quality of sound is the same as the G50. I've had it mounted on my pedal board since I got it and durability has been fine. With the G10 i would worry about the power cable and socket durability if it was not permanently mounted.

G10 with the AX8 in smaller venues.
note: I secured the USB cable to the back of the unit so it doesn't fall out.

G90 with the AXE FX II on bigger stages

no troubles with either.

I've used a G30 for 3 or so years.
Many gigs and rehearsals as it is attached to my AX8 pedal board.
I like the fact that it uses AAA batteries and rechargeables work great.
Also uses a standard guitar cable.
I don't use the belt clip as I have it in a neoprene pouch on my strap.
IMO there is no need to buy a more expensive unit as the G30 works perfect.

I use the G-90. I do not always use it though. Sometimes I still use my trusty cable (Mogami Gold 18'). It really depends on the venue. I have been using the G-90 for years without a glitch. I did swap out the transmitter cable though. I use a high-quality Lava cable. Don't remember the manufacturer. Sorry. Gettin' old.

So you have the G90 in a rack and the AX8 on the floor? I already own the G90 myself, but I do not really see a convenient way to combine it with the AX8 as a floor unit?

I have the G50 and the G10. I used the G50 for a few years and then switched to the G10. The range on the G10 is definitely limited to 50 feet or so, but the ease of use is outstanding, and the fact that it is rechargeable is what sold me initially. No cable for the transmitter, just plug it right into your guitar. Also, I take it out between sets and it charges back to full again in 10-15 mins. Quality of sound is the same as the G50. I've had it mounted on my pedal board since I got it and durability has been fine. With the G10 i would worry about the power cable and socket durability if it was not permanently mounted.

Could you send me a picture of how you mounted it?

G10 with the AX8 in smaller venues.
note: I secured the USB cable to the back of the unit so it doesn't fall out.

G90 with the AXE FX II on bigger stages

no troubles with either.

I already own the G90 and use it with Axe II. But I guess it is not easy to combine in a convenient way with the AX8?

I've used a G30 for 3 or so years.
Many gigs and rehearsals as it is attached to my AX8 pedal board.
I like the fact that it uses AAA batteries and rechargeables work great.
Also uses a standard guitar cable.
I don't use the belt clip as I have it in a neoprene pouch on my strap.
IMO there is no need to buy a more expensive unit as the G30 works perfect.

Could you send me a picture of how you attached it?

I use the G30, and I've never had a problem with the range, and I've only once experienced drop-outs in a Wifi-heavy environment. Using channel 2 instead of instead 1 solved the issue.
I wouldn't want to drop the transmitter though, it doesn't feel overly sturdy. I place mine in my back pocket, as the belt clip is not very good.

I used the g90 for years in a rack application with maybe 1-2 drop out issues that were attributed to having the wrong antennas chosen by user error...haha

I switched to the g50 in june when I got the AX8 so I could have something more portable & also still keep using the same 3 transmitters I had from the g90.....in 5 gigs...ive suffered drop outs in 4 of them....I troubleshooted last night & my main body pack is set to version 1...which is exactly how it was at this last gig & I didn't even get to make it past the 1st song.....perhaps the way I have it mounted under my pedal board has something to do with it...(I have it under the pedal train classic, upside down on the top right corner. one antenna is there pointing outwards across from the stage & I ran the 2nd antenna via a bnc cable to the left to cover the side/front.....) so maybe that is also a contributing factor....maybe I need to run the other antenna to the right side so that its linear point to point from left to right instead of one top right & one on the left......

anywho.....im considering going back to the g90...but the whole point is to keep the most compact set up feasible...so maybe ill try the 70...or 55 or 75...I haven't kept up with all the newer ones.....lol

anyone else have similar experiences...?

So you have the G90 in a rack and the AX8 on the floor? I already own the G90 myself, but I do not really see a convenient way to combine it with the AX8 as a floor unit?
I have it in a 3U SKB case. I also have a power conditioner in the case. I never did find a convenient way to combine the AX8. I just use the AX8 as a stand alone. I haul it and my expression pedal in a laptop bag.

Could you send me a picture of how you attached it?
Velcro.
wp-20160921-003_orig.jpg

Back
Top Bottom