Which laptop is best to interface with AxeFX?

I've used a Microsoft Surface tablet for every session I've ever done. Many tours stash a MacBook Air in a rack drawer beneath their Axe-Fx IIIs for editor work. Do with that info what you will, but the editors are very lean and mean. Anything basic, new or old will be just fine. Recording USB direct is a slightly different question, but even that is well within the capabilities of anything made in the last decade.
As I said before, I'm a Mac guy, but Surfaces are incredibly solid pieces of gear. My wife has been using one for 6+ years now and it's still chugging along.

Budget not a concern. I have no kids, no grandkids, no car payment. Other than the rent on my condo and an Amex bill from my Vegas vacation, I have no payments...so my money is mine to do as I wish. Probably why Ive dropped over $28K on guitars and gear over the past two years.😉

I dont mind spending more if its something i will end up needing down the road. Hell, I havent even taken the FC-12 out of the box. But someone here said Im gonna want it...so I bought it.😁

The best laptop for music production right now is hands down the Macbook Pro with the M2 Pro CPU. You don't have to break the bank to get one either. The days when you had to pay significantly more for a Mac are over. Put Garage Band on it and you'll have a rig that is great for getting your feet wet with recording, and can easily handle cpu heavy jobs in the future as your recording needs grow and you use more plugins.

Budget not a concern. I have no kids, no grandkids, no car payment. Other than the rent on my condo and an Amex bill from my Vegas vacation, I have no payments...so my money is mine to do as I wish. Probably why Ive dropped over $28K on guitars and gear over the past two years.😉

I dont mind spending more if its something i will end up needing down the road. Hell, I havent even taken the FC-12 out of the box. But someone here said Im gonna want it...so I bought it.😁
Heck, after reading this, I would just skip the laptop and head on down to Micro Center and have them build you a screamin Windows tower.
Get a nice big monitor to go with it, and BOOM…..instant bad-ass studio!

The best laptop for music production right now is hands down the Macbook Pro with the M2 Pro CPU. You don't have to break the bank to get one either. The days when you had to pay significantly more for a Mac are over. Put Garage Band on it and you'll have a rig that is great for getting your feet wet with recording, and can easily handle cpu heavy jobs in the future as your recording needs grow and you use more plugins.
Well, I hope to NOT start the same old Mac vs Win argument, but their is no BEST. There is personal preference and that is how it should be.
Not wanting to argue Glenn but lets be real. Best, hands down?

Well, I hope to NOT start the same old Mac vs Win argument, but their is no BEST. There is personal preference and that is how it should be.
Not wanting to argue Glenn but lets be real. Best, hands down?
I'm usually extremely cautious about using language like that, but in this case I think it's warranted. The power profile for the M1/M2 makes laptops with that cpu the top of the heap for music production right now. Desktops are a different story of course, and the situation might change in the near future, but that's my opinion today.

I admire the way you "lit the fuse" and ran... LOL
M2 Mac Mini ( M2 Pro Mac Mini if you can afford... )... less headaches...
If laptop is a must, M2 MacBook Air...

If you basically want a low maintenance laptop for day to day job I would get a Mac, I use both Windows 11 and Apple stuff and while I love the former; TBH I have lost my will to keep pace with all updates and somehow lack of cohesion of the Windows environment vs the Apple one, and use Windows in my professional life. But you cannot go wrong with many Windows laptops either. Anyway if you want it only for firmware updates, just get the cheapest that meets the requirements.

ANY laptop will work for Axe Edit, etc.

That said - as a long term dedicated Windows user, who was recently talked into buying his first MacBook. I will never go back to Windows.
MacBook Pro is just such a simple smooth experience. My DAW has run flawlessly.

75F09B01-BF95-4F2A-BE70-5C2314899DA3.jpeg

Late last night, listening to a new composition. Part of a weekly comp challenge at another forum. Love this stuff.

I was a rabid anti-Mac person for a long time. Then I was forced to use one for work. I am a mac person now.

But seriously, I love my MacBook, but it really doesn’t matter. Fans of each system can share their opinions all they like, it’s not hurting anyone! So I personally would say hands down a mac. Others might disagree, and that’s ok.

Back
Top Bottom