Which laptop is best to interface with AxeFX?

If you're genuinely only ever going to use it to update firmwares, then any cheapo windows laptop will do.

If you're using it for more stuff I don't think anything beats a macbook personally in terms of design, ease of use and durability.
A lot of it depends on budget and what operating system you want to use, windows or macos.

But I still think macbooks are the best laptops, the new M1/M2 chips are fantastic, as much as it pains me to say because of Apple's pricing and business practices (like offering 256GB as a storage size in 2023), my windows laptops are dire in comparison.

Last edited:
I wouldnt personally support Apples closed-system, DRM-ridden, monopolistic approach to tech. 🤷‍♂️
Same. And also, I had a company provided macbook air some years back... dual booted into Windows as well. On the mac side, my latency in Reaper was 25ms, and when booted into Windows it was 13ms in the same project. Also had far more problems booted into macos than I did on the windows side. But we can let the fanbois continue pretending.

So, for the sake of "buy-once-cry-once", if I do decide to do a DAW down the road, which platform is better/easier (Mac OS or Windows) Keep in mind whichever one I decide it will be the very 1st time I've attempted to do any kind of digital audio workstation so the learning curve will be from ground zero.
Well, the quick and dirty answer is based on money. If money is no object, and you want to buy the "top shelf" industry standard stuff, then you may want to go with a Mac and Pro Tools. The downside is that it is the most expensive solution to DAW, give or take. Of course, the comfort level with the OS still comes into play.

Personally I don't care for Mac OS or hardware, so I use a Windows platform and Cubase Pro for my DAW. As mentioned, there are cheaper solutions for DAW on Win like Reaper as well, so you can get a lot of bang for your buck on the Windows side.

Either platform has much support available via the usual sources, and again it really does boil down to OS preference and money, nit necessarily in that order. Both platforms and the associated "big boys" of DAW solutions are very polished and provide professional level tools and results.

I suspect the Win side of things are probably a bit more prevalent in the general population because of price and that Win is a much larger market in general, but the one place a Mac consistently shines is in audio production.

Maybe poke around a bit and look into Pro Tools, Cubase, Reaper, Sonic and any other DAW solutions out there, see what intrigues you, fits your comfort zone, and narrow it down from there.

Good luck brother, exciting times ahead!

Garageband is probably the best entry-level DAW. It comes in the box, it "just works," it's super easy to learn, and if you ever want to move up to a pro-tier DAW, it's a seamless transition from GB to Logic.

I've been using Macs professionally for more than 20 years and vastly prefer MacOS to Windows, but you definitely pay a premium for Apple products that may or may not be worth it to you. If you were gonna get a Mac, I'd say just go with a basic MacBook Air. That'll do everything you need and then some.

Well, the quick and dirty answer is based on money. If money is no object, and you want to buy the "top shelf" industry standard stuff, then you may want to go with a Mac and Pro Tools. The downside is that it is the most expensive solution to DAW, give or take. Of course, the comfort level with the OS still comes into play.

Personally I don't care for Mac OS or hardware, so I use a Windows platform and Cubase Pro for my DAW. As mentioned, there are cheaper solutions for DAW on Win like Reaper as well, so you can get a lot of bang for your buck on the Windows side.

Either platform has much support available via the usual sources, and again it really does boil down to OS preference and money, nit necessarily in that order. Both platforms and the associated "big boys" of DAW solutions are very polished and provide professional level tools and results.

I suspect the Win side of things are probably a bit more prevalent in the general population because of price and that Win is a much larger market in general, but the one place a Mac consistently shines is in audio production.

Maybe poke around a bit and look into Pro Tools, Cubase, Reaper, Sonic and any other DAW solutions out there, see what intrigues you, fits your comfort zone, and narrow it down from there.

Good luck brother, exciting times ahead!
I got pro tool free with an Avid Eleven Rack multiFX unit I bought. But it looked like the learning curve wss gonna be STEEP. I barely have time to noodle on guitar these days, let alone learn a full-blown software program.

Hell, I cant even figure out how to adjust the parameters on the AxeFX III delays using the front panel. The Digitech GSP-2101 was SO much easier to use.

Can't beat Reaper for the price and it runs on both Windows and MacOS. It's tiny, stable, fast, and very actively supported with constant updates.

As for hardware, it's mostly personal preference these days. Both are equally capable. Both have their pros and cons.

Last edited:
I got pro tool free with an Avid Eleven Rack multiFX unit I bought. But it looked like the learning curve wss gonna be STEEP. I barely have time to noodle on guitar these days, let alone learn a full-blown software program.

Hell, I cant even figure out how to adjust the parameters on the AxeFX III delays using the front panel. The Digitech GSP-2101 was SO much easier to use.
I hear ya brother and I assure you you're in good company. It is a whole new world of pain and constantly feeling like you're not putting in enough time, should know more, etc when it comes to DAW.

So here's my suggestion, YMMV. Go and get yourself a current, cheapish Windows laptop. Just something with all the basics, don't spend more than $300, maybe a bit more if ya really want that model. Use it for the Axe FX, use it to watch tuts from @2112, @Cooper Carter, etc, use it to browse the forum here while you're playing and learning the new gear, and wait on the DAW stuff until you feel like ya havebtge desire to dive in.

Life is waaaay too short to stress out and be in a constant intellectual battle with gear and new realms. Spend the time learning the AFX and enjoying the new gear ya just dropped 3K on.

Just my suggestion as you and I have some things in common, and I've been right where you are. I sometimes wish I spent more time just enjoying my gear instead of constantly raising the bar, and while there's a sense of satisfaction conquering things, I have small regrets for not just enjoying things.

Anyhow, be sure to let us all know what direction you decide to take, the good news is you can get what you need for the AxeFX updates, etc, very cheaply and be good to go, ready to learn the eternal mysteries of the AxeFX! ;)

I've used a Microsoft Surface tablet for every session I've ever done. Many tours stash a MacBook Air in a rack drawer beneath their Axe-Fx IIIs for editor work. Do with that info what you will, but the editors are very lean and mean. Anything basic, new or old will be just fine. Recording USB direct is a slightly different question, but even that is well within the capabilities of anything made in the last decade.

Last edited:
I agree with the fact that any laptop will do the updates, but you have to ask yourself what all you want to use it for. What is your budget? If I was in the market I would probably look for a Lenovo on sale at newegg.com

So, for the sake of "buy-once-cry-once", if I do decide to do a DAW down the road, which platform is better/easier (Mac OS or Windows) Keep in mind whichever one I decide it will be the very 1st time I've attempted to do any kind of digital audio workstation so the learning curve will be from ground zero.
At this point whichever you are used to... both PC and Mac have certain software that works better on each and there will be a learning curve with whichever you choose. Keep in mind in about five years whatever you buy will feel a bit outdated, so there is no buy once cry later. When I went the laptop route I didn't use it much, now it sits. About every three years I build a new PC for gaming and music. I choose the parts I want for stability and performance, and they are so reliable that I still have the last four machines running and gave away my fifth oldest. You got much more performance that way, but not portability. So, choices, choices...

Just to update? The cheapest thing that has internet and usb. A nasty little windows laptop will do.

(I have a MacBook Air, so be aware that they only have usb c, and you’d need an adapter or dongle. Great machines - annoying connectivity!)

However if you want to use AxeEdit… then you can still get the cheapest, nastiest laptop you can stomach. It’s just another program, no special requirements.

If you want to record, then I will leave that question to others. I love macs because the sound just works and you don’t have to worry about usb drivers and asio etc. I’ve had no trouble recording bits and pieces with reaper on my MacBook Air (M1).
EDIT: I meant to reply to the OP.......
Windows and MACs- one is NOT better than the other contrary to BS old wives tales. Yes, decades ago Macs had an advantage with respect to Daws and graphics mainly.. That has long faded.
Of course, you cannot go wrong with either.

I agree with the fact that any laptop will do the updates, but you have to ask yourself what all you want to use it for. What is your budget? If I was in the market I would probably look for a Lenovo on sale at newegg.com
Budget not a concern. I have no kids, no grandkids, no car payment. Other than the rent on my condo and an Amex bill from my Vegas vacation, I have no payments...so my money is mine to do as I wish. Probably why Ive dropped over $28K on guitars and gear over the past two years.😉

I dont mind spending more if its something i will end up needing down the road. Hell, I havent even taken the FC-12 out of the box. But someone here said Im gonna want it...so I bought it.😁

I just bought a mac mini for $499 Education discount. I don’t know how you can beat that for home use running Logic and axe edit/fractal bot. I used a mac air for a couple of years as well that worked great. The M1 air can run all of the above as well and would be a good choice for home IMO. Logic is a steal at $199. They haven’t raised the price in years and all the upgrades are free.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom