Which laptop is best to interface with AxeFX?

Kidfixer

Guess I need to buy a laptop if I expect to be able to update firmware. I use my phone for everything now, so I currently dont have one. Should I go with a Macbook, or will a Windows-based machine suffice. Obviously the Windows laptops are much cheaper, but I dont need extra headaches if they're not ideal for the task.

Please advise.

Obviously the Windows laptops are much cheaper, but I dont need extra headaches if they're not ideal for the task.
These days there isn't a significant price difference between mac and pc. But if all you need is a computer to use to load firmware onto an Axe-FX, almost anything will do, mac or pc. On the other hand if you think you might want to get into recording, the new M2 Macmini is a an incredible bargain.

I would go with a macbook. For anything around music it will just give you better performance. I am using a macbook pro since about 4 years, first a second hand 2015 model, upgraded to a current one last year. Absolutely hassle free.

Just about anything will suffice as long as it's not ancient. You could probably find something off of facebook marketplace or craigslist in your area (or something equivalent if you're outside the US) for next to nothing. However, I'd avoid buying a dirt cheap brand new laptop because they will probably break or be a horrible experience. 4 years, I've always recommended Lenovo ThinkPad T series laptops because they are ubiquitous on the used market, built well, have pretty good specs and usually go for pretty cheap because the market is flooded with them.

Last edited:
Guess I need to buy a laptop if I expect to be able to update firmware. I use my phone for everything now, so I currently dont have one. Should I go with a Macbook, or will a Windows-based machine suffice. Obviously the Windows laptops are much cheaper, but I dont need extra headaches if they're not ideal for the task.

Please advise.

Go with the platform you are most comfortable with at the OS level. Regarding the stated task alone, its polished on either platform and trivial.

The question in my mind would then be: Am I planning on using it for a DAW as well?

The answer is about the same as above, but whatever DAW platform you're most comfortable with is the OS/hardware you should choose. The big difference is if you'll be getting into home studio with it, the cost of the hardware jumps and makes a difference as to pros/cons and costs for Mac vs Win.

If its just for dealing with the AxeFx and daily driver stuff, go budget, @deathbyguitar has a great approach.

Best buy is currently showing a windows based laptop for ~180 and the cheapest Mac laptop is 800. For simply loading firmwares, you might hard-pressed to beat that. Best of luck.

Just to update? The cheapest thing that has internet and usb. A nasty little windows laptop will do.

(I have a MacBook Air, so be aware that they only have usb c, and you’d need an adapter or dongle. Great machines - annoying connectivity!)

However if you want to use AxeEdit… then you can still get the cheapest, nastiest laptop you can stomach. It’s just another program, no special requirements.

If you want to record, then I will leave that question to others. I love macs because the sound just works and you don’t have to worry about usb drivers and asio etc. I’ve had no trouble recording bits and pieces with reaper on my MacBook Air (M1).

Just an FYI, if you do go with a Windows machine and want to dabble in recording, Reaper seems to work fine with it as well.

Imo cross the recording bridge when you get to it. In the meantime a $200 barebones machine probably gets the job done.

Yeah just buy pretty much any cheapo new laptop. Worst case scenario you might need to buy a USB-C dongle to plug into the Axe.

Go with the platform you are most comfortable with at the OS level. Regarding the stated task alone, its polished on either platform and trivial.

The question in my mind would then be: Am I planning on using it for a DAW as well?

The answer is about the same as above, but whatever DAW platform you're most comfortable with is the OS/hardware you should choose. The big difference is if you'll be getting into home studio with it, the cost of the hardware jumps and makes a difference as to pros/cons and costs for Mac vs Win.

If its just for dealing with the AxeFx and daily driver stuff, go budget, @deathbyguitar has a great approach.
So, for the sake of "buy-once-cry-once", if I do decide to do a DAW down the road, which platform is better/easier (Mac OS or Windows) Keep in mind whichever one I decide it will be the very 1st time I've attempted to do any kind of digital audio workstation so the learning curve will be from ground zero.

So, for the sake of "buy-once-cry-once", if I do decide to do a DAW down the road, which platform is better/easier (Mac OS or Windows) Keep in mind whichever one I decide it will be the very 1st time I've attempted to do any kind of digital audio workstation so the learning curve will be from ground zero.
That's really more of a question about what DAW would be best when starting out and less of a question of what kind of computer. I can recommend Garage Band for that. It's dead simple to use, but has plenty of features for getting great recordings. And it has a nice path to easily move up to Logic as your needs grow.

Back
Top Bottom