Which hardware pedal did you keep since getting your Axe-Fx III and why?

I still have my TC Nova Repeater... call it nostalgia, but I seem to get exactly the right 'feel' for rhythmic delay with it and I haven't gotten around to emulating it in the Axe yet... still figuring out how to work the amps!

Sold the lot - including Strymon, Eventide, Wampler, Dunlop, Suhr amongst others

I've yet to miss any of them

Same here I sold virtually everything and use the III exclusively. I need to get better, way better at preset organization, though love having individual settings for each song as needed. The organizing comes down to multiple guitars/tracks in a song. I think that’ll just come over time

Everything I’ve built (like Iaresee), my original fuzzface, big muff, talkbox, tube driver, crybaby, Octavia, and Univibe (old enough where all this stuff was cheap, lol), and a simple board for guests. Oh, and there’s a Kemper currently in the closet.
UPDATE: Sold the Kemper! Back-up will be an FM3, when/if I get a letter: My waitlist email was April 23, 2019 at 1:33PM EDT.

Electro harmonix 720 looper pedal. Just because it’s practical with an outboard looper pedal sometimes, when you’re jamming at home

The only one I still use is my DOD Carcosa. The thing's my favorite fuzz ever, and super versatile.

Maybe there's a way to replicate it with the of the drive block models, but fuzzes are such finicky things.

I just put my FreqOut on my III yesterday. I put it in a loop so I could blend and bypass it easily.

PSA. Before you spend half an hour trying to figure out why the loop isn’t working, check to make sure the output level on the front panel is turned up.

I use mine the same way. I primarily use it to add a background high tone floating over heavy reverb, single note swell lines.

Just curious to know which hardware pedals you kept since getting your AxeFX3.
I kept (recently purchased) my SD 805 and DT Drop. Simply because I just adore the sound of the 805 with the AxeFX and the Drop to me feels/sounds better but perhaps more because I have a rack unit and when I go to jam sessions I prefer not to lug the rack unit around. When I get my FX3 I would probably still keep the 805 and Drop but I wouldn't GAS over others. Examples. Boonar, H9, BigSky.
The Strymon Sunset OverDrive is the only pedal I have kept.
The reason I kept it is there is no equivalent of the Sunset in the AX3...... Yet......

I'm down to just one pedal and that's the prototype for an overdrive based on the ver.1 Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal, with red LED clippers and a presence control similar to that used in the MI Audio Crunch Box overdrive pedal. I don't use it with the AxeFX III though. I keep it because it's my favorite overdrive / boost pedal (and because it's my prototype build).

I worked too long and hard on building great sounding pedalboards to let them go. Keep everything if you can😁👍
I absolutely agree with keeping everything I can. I'm only partially thwarted, by the cute little 5'4" blonde that's been lurking around every corner for the past 38 years, clutching the visa bill...

By the way, I liked your first sentence. It reminded me of every Scooby Doo episode, and how I feel about my amps and pedals, and how Fractal changed it all. Suddenly I'm the old guy in every Scooby Doo episode: "I worked too long and hard on building great sounding pedalboards to let them go. And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!"

I have a Crybaby Rack Wah that I keep in one of the loops, just because I don’t have any expression pedals to mess around with the internal wahs. In a few weeks that should be changing though, so the wah will probably go away for a while.

I also keep my Neunaber Seraphim shimmer verb in a loop in the Axe. I know we have shimmer verbs in the box now but honestly, I tried to dial the shimmer in on the Axe and couldn’t get it to sound how I liked. Maybe I’ll give it another go sometime.

Since the FreqOut is on a parallel path, I tried putting a heavy compressor in front of it (someone posted in another thread that they were doing that). It helps stop those squeaky note releases that it does sometimes.

I have it in series, I'll have to experiment with that.

I keep all the gear I buy just because I learned early on that I've regretted every sale I've made and in every case have found myself saying "Shit, I could really use ____ right now". The only thing I still use is my FreQout, which I've also got in a loop. It's parallel right now but I'm going to try playing around with it in series, which is how I used it in my previous rigs.

I like having a separate rig setup in my studio for when I have friends come over and jam. Eventually I want to grab an FM3 for a travel rig/friend rig.

Back
Top Bottom