which Gator Rack to get?

dajart

I purchased my gear

AXE FX II XL+
MFC101
Matrix GT1000FX 2U
Furman M-8x2 Power Conditioner (1U)

Im going to order whichever Gator I need from Sweetwater but need advice quick! I just don't really under stand how the measurements go

8 rack spaces?, 10 rack spaces? more?
Thanks for any help!

The Axe Fx is 2 spaces
The matrix is 2 spaces
the furman is 1 space

I would get a 6 space rack and a 1 space blank panel.

Get the 6 space (as noted by jrh) but with the wheels. For the blank panel get a grated one to give you air flow. The nice thing about the rolling wheeled racks is there is a 3/4 open space at the bottom (for the wheels/pullout handle), so if you have a grated panel in the middle of the gear (I would put the Furman on the bottom, the Axe sitting on that, the blank space and then the Matrix at the top- heat rises, so this way you keep the Axe nice and cool) you'll have great airflow and much less risk of overheating any of the gear.

Get the 6 space (as noted by jrh) but with the wheels. For the blank panel get a grated one to give you air flow. The nice thing about the rolling wheeled racks is there is a 3/4 open space at the bottom (for the wheels/pullout handle), so if you have a grated panel in the middle of the gear (I would put the Furman on the bottom, the Axe sitting on that, the blank space and then the Matrix at the top- heat rises, so this way you keep the Axe nice and cool) you'll have great airflow and much less risk of overheating any of the gear.

This is great you all! Would you mind recommending the one by posting a link? Is that allowed here?

Again, I'm just so new and worried i'll get the wrong one.

If you are going over 4U I would consider a rolling solution. I have the 4U version of that Gator case and it's right on the edge of being unwieldy. Otherwise it's served me well.

Thanks for the help! Will this work as well? Im ordering some other stuff from them today and saw this. They also have the one you pointed me to on Amazon for $20 less ($159 for 6U)
Gator GR-6L - 6 Rack Spaces | Sweetwater.com

Yes sir that would work, however, I enjoy the finished plastic look of the other one available on Amazon (and at Sweetwater). It is more designed for rugged style protection and not "generic" gear protection like the link you provided.

To each their own though, that rack from Sweetwater will work just fine. My comment is merely perception of the product and style ;)

+1 for the SKB racks IMO they feel more sturdy then the Gator case you're looking at. Something about the material they use doesn't seem as stout for some reason.

Reactions: npx
For anyone that's wondering, the Axe FX itself sticks out by about a half an inch beyond the back side of the shallow Gator racks. The cover can still be put on, but you need to remove the ac plug.

I have a 6u case. It has a Furman, the Axe, 1u matrix, a patch panel and a drawer. It's really heavy. I should have gotten one with the wheels. Stuff adds up quick. Even the drawer added a good amount of weight.

A Vafam breakout panel in that blank slot will save you messing about around the back of the rack when connecting things to the Axe .... all the commonly used ins/outs are instantly available with no poke and hope.

I have a 16 hole one - Exp pedal (TRS) | USB |blank | In 1 R | blank | MFC (ethercon) | Faslink | MIDI in |blank |Out 1 L (TRS)| Out 1 R (TRS) |Out 1 L (XLR) | Out 1 R (XLR) |blank |SPKR L | SPKR R

The 'SPKR's are Speakon connectors that connect to my Matrix GT1000FX outs that I then connect my traditional cabs to.

The Vafam panel is a life saver (and your I/Os at the back of the Axe stay minty as you only ever plug something in once and then leave it forever).

I have been using a Gator rolling 4-space rack for a while now. Works GREAT!! Easy to move, the wheels are good quality.
Since you need 6-spaces, I'd go with the Gator 6-space rolling rack...you won't regret it.
That last space in yours can be a wireless half-rack unit...oh yes

Actually, I just bought another 4-space Gator rolling rack for the back up rig :)
Haven't tried an SKB as SixString mentioned above. Probably also a good choice.

Transporting everything in one rack = priceless! (if it rolls)
For example, I have a 6U SKB rack, for an Axe-Fx II and a power conditioner, but then the open spaces on the bottom can hold all my cables, the MFC-101, my expression pedal, and my stage clothes!

Transporting everything in one rack = priceless! (if it rolls)
For example, I have a 6U SKB rack, for an Axe-Fx II and a power conditioner, but then the open spaces on the bottom can hold all my cables, the MFC-101, my expression pedal, and my stage clothes!

I have a Gator 4U with wheels. Works great. One point to add: I'm using 2 both "sides":
- Front = AF2+In-ear+patch panel.
- Back = Power conditioner (right in front the patch panel).

The patch panel is great: I just need to open the front side of the gator and plug everything in the patch panel (including power via a self-made power cable with powercon plugs). But I still need other bag to carry my FCB1010 + cables (power, guitar cable and XLR to mix table).

I separated all my gear into 2 smaller cases - I have my Axe-Fx & power conditioner in a Gator 3U case (GR-3S) and my In-ears & Wireless in a Gator 2U case GR-2S - both are about 14" deep and fit perfect.

If I played out more I might go for 1 larger case and build a patch-panel like Plim did, that's very convenient.

Is this for home studio? If so, I would look at the cool 8 space end stands on wheels. You mentioned being a newbie so I assume you're not on tour.

Back
Top Bottom