Which FRFR? Is it worth it?

I have been using these:

HiVi-Swans M5A Hi-Fi Bluetooth Bookshelf Speaker - Professional Studio Monitor Speakers - Living Room Powered Home Speakers with 8 inch Woofer, Explosive Bass Sound for Big Room

I originally discovered swans / hivi when I was looking for studio monitors. At the time I took home a pair of Adams A7X and a pair of the swans t200b 6" studio monitors and I ran them head to head. In the end the swans won on sound quality and they were half the cost.

I took a chance on the m5a above when I was looking at a solution to pair with my fm3 and to have a good music system for playback in that part of my house.

I have been very happy with them for both purposes although I haven't tried a lot of the commonly recommended solutions from this forum the M5A are nicer by far than my t200 and I preferred the t200 to the Adams A7X which a lot of people recommend int his forum.

The m5a are monsters though large and heavy so more for a permanent setup at home than a transportable solution

I received the Elis.8 bundle some days ago and cannot be happier.
More mid-focused than my Yamaha DXR10 and less bassy... way more open, defined and clear.

Definitely, the feel is closer to a regular guitar cabinet than any other FRFR solution I've tested so far. More "plug and play".

And even if they are quite well balanced (sonically speaking), they still reflect any subtle tweaking in the output EQ.
They're impressive little speakers.

Questions about FRFR systems for guitars replacing guitar amps.
My questioning does not concern live or group sound systems.

I myself have been a user of FRFR amplification systems for several years, I can clearly see the logic of using a neutral response amplification system since we give the desired frequency response with the amp simulator of the AMP block associated with the Block IR that I usually set with a low pass filter at 6.5/7.0 khz and a slope of -6db/oct.
On the other hand, I wonder about the interest or not of Full - Range.
The full-range being a system having a bandwidth which should have a frequency response of +/- 3dB from 50/60hz to 19-20 khz.
A 6 string guitar has a frequency range, if we take into account the harmonics from 80Hz to 10-12 kHz I think.
Aren't GRFR systems more suited to our needs as guitarists?

I personally use a RedSound LG12SE active+passive amplification which is qualified as a GR/FR system by Redsound with a bandwidth of 60hz-16khz at +/- 3db it has no treble cone or tweeter.
I found a second-hand Tech21 Power Engine Deuce Deluxe, this amp has the particularity of being able to cut the tweeter if desired.
If you know the frequency response of the Tech21 with and without the tweeter on, I'm interested.

These 2 amplifiers seem to correspond better to what seems to me to be suitable for a neutral response system, not full range.
I'm waiting for him to be home to do some testing.

Do you have any opinions on this? Are there on the expert forum the GR/FR and FR/FR amplification systems?

I used Google translate to switch from French to English, so there may be some errors in meaning....

You’re talking about the Red Sound MF.10 speakers. @Marco Fanton helped design them. @Sashman also has a pair and really likes them.

See Red SoundMF.10 G66 Edition FRFR Review too.

I had the ELIS.8, the little brothers to the MF.10, for a while and really liked their sound. Red Sound does a good job.
You seem pretty experienced with a lot of the fractal gear, have you tried the friendman sec-10’s? I’m on the fence with them. There’s no comparison or real discussion of them and redsound together.

Back
Top Bottom