Which do you prefer, neck-thru or bolt-on ?

the types of timber can affect the tone of a solid-body significantly. one of mine is solid walnut, and that is completely different sounding to my alder one.

as above posts though, if high output pickups are used - then that's going dictate the way the whole thing sounds; especially if you use active EMG.

Yeah, but there are characteristics that will remain. In my M1000 I just switched out my EMG81 for a Tone Zone, and while the latter is very dark in comparison, the pick attack and upper harmonics are similar, and more obvious at low volume.

I'm going to say I'm sold on neck-thrus. I just got another one (a Carvin ST300, all alder), and I just love the transmission of vibration. (Though both sit about the same on the body, I think I prefer the shape and fully rounded body sides of my DC127, second image) Of course, there is some hair to the overall sound, as I'm using Carvin's M22SD. I think it's as hot as I'd ever want to go, but maybe slightly too hot.

pcar.jpg

Last edited:
they say its easier to remove brightness than add it and i agree so i think the less glue to rob the high end the better.

Back
Top Bottom