Which DAW do you use (and why)?

Stringtheorist said:
Any reason why I should use Reaper in preference to Logic (price notwithstanding)? Probably a bit like comparing apples to oranges I know, but the one thing that I find attractive about Logic is the pre-bundled instruments.
Possibly if you prefer Windows or OSX would be a compelling reason between those two. AFAIK, both are exclusive to their respective platforms.

godprobe said:
Stringtheorist said:
Any reason why I should use Reaper in preference to Logic (price notwithstanding)? Probably a bit like comparing apples to oranges I know, but the one thing that I find attractive about Logic is the pre-bundled instruments.
Possibly if you prefer Windows or OSX would be a compelling reason between those two. AFAIK, both are exclusive to their respective platforms.
Reaper can't be exclusive to Windows as I've been using it.

Stringtheorist said:
godprobe said:
Stringtheorist said:
Reaper can't be exclusive to Windows as I've been using it.
Ah, awesome! News to me!

(apparently very old news... maybe I'm thinking of some other software?)

Samplitude & RME FireFace 800.

Samplitude:
It sounds best to my ears.
Very CPU efficient.
Extremely fast editing.
Rock solid (for me).
Has had a list of features for years that the other app's are only just catching up with.
I'm not a MIDI bloke, so I won't comment on that, but it was always an "audio first" app.

FF800:
RME drivers are rock solid.
Sounds great.
The Mixer matrix is a breeze to use.
Low latency.

Over,
Bob.

GarageBand here, but I don't record professionally. If I did, I'd probably use Logic.

Stringtheorist said:
Logic is well worth the money, as it comes with a heap of high quality plugins and virtual instruments. It is feature-rich and currently ahead of Reaper. I don't know about stability, though. So if price doesn't matter (Logic costs 10x the price of Reaper) and you can get around the way Logic works (UI and workflow-wise), Logic would be a very good choice. I hated the weird, ugly, inconsistent and non-standard UI back in v4-5 days, but that's just me and hopefully Apple commanded a complete rework after buying Emagic.
And Logic supports AU-plugins only (no VST), doesn't it? There's a $99-Wrapper from FXPansion, though.

Stringtheorist said:
but the one thing that I find attractive about Logic is the pre-bundled instruments.

From my experiance, pre-bundled instruments are cool at the beginning.....
A year or two forward and you will most likely won't be using them anymore.
Many of the 3rd party bundled instrument are usually limited in features.

For Bass I use:
http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/trilogy.html
(it's very good)

A more budget solution, ManyBass:
http://www.manytone.com/products.php?filter=instruments

;)

Ya logic can't use vst's without the wrapper, but a lot of software has audio units built in. I'm using komplete 5 without any prob's. The built in instruments are pretty good on the new version and it's got a nice sampler you can start building your own sounds with if you start getting bored, as well as companies making new instruments for that sampler.
You could check around for demo's though, Ableton has one, Sonar and cubase used to but I'm not sure if they still put them out or not.
Good luck!

samplitude and pro tools win hands down for audio editing (speed/features/logical layout etc)

The most common daw (amongst friends anyway) or the most 'likeable' daw in my neck of the woods is cubase/nunendo- most likely for it's creative workflow/midi setup. I like cubase a lot, but find the stock plugins average at best, and don't like the audio editing style.

Some people love logic, some don't. I think a benefit is that 1) you'll be on a mac :lol:
and 2) it's kinda future proof.

I need to look at logic a bit more..........damn gas :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom