Which cabinet for ART SLA-2?

Stringtheorist said:
Joegold, why do you recommend a single speaker cab? Wouldn't a 2x12 disperse the sound more?

Because the EVM-12L is exceptionally heavy and a cabinet with 2 of them will be very hard to lift, and because a single 12L gets really loud.
IMO The dispersion pattern of a typical 2 X 12 open back cab and a 1 X 12 open back cab is not all that different. They're both open back.
People usually use 2 drivers because a single driver of the type they're using can't handle the power they're going to throw at it.

If you need more dispersion then try 2 open back 1 X 12 cabs with 12Ls in them.
That works great for stereo btw.

joegold said:
Stringtheorist said:
Joegold, why do you recommend a single speaker cab? Wouldn't a 2x12 disperse the sound more?

Because the EVM-12L is exceptionally heavy and a cabinet with 2 of them will be very hard to lift, and because a single 12L gets really loud.
IMO The dispersion pattern of a typical 2 X 12 open back cab and a 1 X 12 open back cab is not all that different. They're both open back.
People usually use 2 drivers because a single driver of the type they're using can't handle the power they're going to throw at it.

If you need more dispersion then try 2 open back 1 X 12 cabs with 12Ls in them.
That works great for stereo btw.
Interesting. That explains why those old Mark IV combos were so heavy. A friend of mine fitted castors to his. :D

One other question:

If I were to use 2 guitar cabs for stereo (the SLA + AXE combo allows for that I presume?), what would be the recommended wattage of each guitar cab? I prefer to spend more and get tons of headroom of course, but usually the cabinets I'm browsing seem to state lower watts that the 200W from the SLA and that should be a no-no?

lusoaxe said:
One other question:

If I were to use 2 guitar cabs for stereo (the SLA + AXE combo allows for that I presume?), what would be the recommended wattage of each guitar cab? I prefer to spend more and get tons of headroom of course, but usually the cabinets I'm browsing seem to state lower watts that the 200W from the SLA and that should be a no-no?

A buddy of mine just gave me an Avatar 212 loaded with two 8 ohm 60 watt Hellatone speakers (vintage 30's). I setup the cab to run stereo and hooked up my SLA 2 and played through it at near gig levels. Speakers were fine and that was with the amp masters all the way up and the Axe at 11o'clock.

Granted my patch volumes have been balanced out so none of them are at 0db just to give you a frame of refferance. My Patches range from -3 for some of the cleans all the way to -17 on one of the dirtys. I don't know if their is a better way to do it or if it even matters but just so you have an idea and don't go and hook up with a patch that is set at 0db and use the setting I have mentioned. More then likely doing that could cause some speaker dammage.

So,as a rule of thumb, a 60W speaker should handle the 200W SLA power with no problems?

In the HI-FI world the speakers should always have more power than the amp, so this is all news to me (always had a combo amp in the past).

lusoaxe said:
So,as a rule of thumb, a 60W speaker should handle the 200W SLA power with no problems?

In the HI-FI world the speakers should always have more power than the amp, so this is all news to me (always had a combo amp in the past).

Yes and no it's really a game of managing volume and available head room. You still need to be mindful of how much power you send to the speakers. If I were to dime the output of the Axe with the levels with in a certain patch set at 0db and the SLA masters maxed out after the first power chord I hit would more then likely nuke the speaker.

I was merly stating that one could run a lower wattage speaker with a power amp that can deliver more power than that speaker can handle given the right settings. If you are worried about the ability to control your volume then perhaps a higher wattage speaker would better suite your application.

ok, so i just ordered my ART SLA2 so can some one send me a graph or a little tutorial on how to make my own 1/4" to banana plug cable just to know wich cable goes to wich color i would apreciated thanks !!!!

Hi, I am new here, just ordered an Ultra and have been considering an amp choice. I have been reading about the QSC, the FBT powered monitors etc, and ran across a youtube clip of the Art SLA-2 power amp today. It seems like a much more cost effective approach. I also like EV's but I prefer my old SRO Alnico 12's. I built a Dumble* 1-12 clone cab and Head and its been the best 1-12 speaker cab I ever used with the Ovderdrive Special Clone and my Mesa Mark IV. It has a lot of low end for a 1-12, most people can't believe it! It has a sweet compression when really pushed and a little different midrange, I like it better than my EVM-12L's, Maybe the EVM-12L's would sound better with the Ultra/SLA-2? I have been using a modified Mesa Mark IV for about 4 years now with a set of "Doug's tubes", his preamp tube suggestions made a huge difference in tone and have a set of Ruby 6L6GC Mcmaster's in the poweramp, also it has a older output tranny from a 2:90 simulclass poweramp made with the same type output transformer as used in the revered IIC+. It also made a big difference in my tone, so that it is very silky, open and sings when set at gigging levels, which I am hoping I won't have to crank this system up so much to get those sweet tones...? Has anyone used the Art SLA-2 with EV's and gotten close to that vintage Mesa tone? I prefer the Carlton/Ford-like tones, also David Gilmour and Carlos Santana's tones ;)
thanks,
Ed

Edge59 said:
Has anyone used the Art SLA-2 with EV's and gotten close to that vintage Mesa tone?

Yes.
Although I ended up buying an SLA1, I've spent quite a bit of time using the SLA2 also.
My Mesa oriented Axe Presets (USA Clean, USA Leas 1, MKIIC+ amp sims) sound *better* to me than the MKIIB, the MKIII, the MKIV and the Triaxis/Simul-Satellite amps I've owned over the years when I run them through SLA and the EVM-12L in an open back cab.
Plus the EQ is a lot more versatile.

But if you like the speaker you have now, why not use it?

arcangel said:
ok, so i just ordered my ART SLA2 so can some one send me a graph or a little tutorial on how to make my own 1/4" to banana plug cable just to know wich cable goes to wich color i would apreciated thanks !!!!

Are you going to leave them hooked up or will you be removing them at each breakdown? I leave mine connected to the amp so I just tinned the ends of a speaker cable that I cut in two and sinched them down with the binding posts. other wise try GC or some of the on line parts houses for the Banana connectors. Heres one http://www.audiopile.net/products/Adaptors_Connectors/Banana_Cord_Ends/Banana_Cord_Ends.shtml

But if you like the speaker you have now, why not use it?

Hi Joegold :)
I plan on using that cab/speaker and build one more and use them with the Art SLA 2 if its a winner at getting the tones I want ;) I really love the old vintage Mesa Fusion tone, but at listenable levels. How do the other sounds like the synth type sounds do with this type amp/speaker system, is it hifi enough for synth sounds? Is there a sax or horn patch in the Axe Fx Ultra? Curious if I could do a harmonized horn section with the Axe Fx.
thanks,
Ed

Don't know if anyone has mentioned, but you can also just get banana to 1/4" female adapter cables which allows you to then use any speaker cable you want. I have a pair of those for my SLA-2 which I use for monitors. I got mine at Metro Sound in St. Paul, MN, but I have to assume they're around at bigger internet stores.

Back
Top Bottom