Which Cab IR for "Shiver Clean" Amp (ala Trey Anastasio 2016)

imrecs

Inspired
After seeing Phish this past New Years run, I've been very inspired by Trey's sound (his tone sounded incredible at MSG)...Bogner Shiva, Clean Channel, Master Volume maxed I believe (so it functions like a non master volume amp), Gain/Volume on the edge of breakup (about 8ish), Treble up high, bass rolled off low (ala Derek Trucks)...For his cabinet, he's using a 2x12 enclosure with 2 40 watt Tone Tubby Purple Haze Speakers

https://tonetubby.com/product/purple-haze/

It seems to be a 30-40 watt Alnico Hemp cone Speaker compared to a K120.

Which Cab IRs might be best to try to get as close as possible to this setup in the Axe Fx? I have all of the Cab Packs that Fractal Sells with the Mic+DI method and tend to prefer the sound of those, so any suggestions from those packs specifically?

Whoa... When did Trey stop playing the Mesa stuff? I saw a rig rundown where he talked about using the same gear forever...

Whoa... When did Trey stop playing the Mesa stuff? I saw a rig rundown where he talked about using the same gear forever...
This summer. He was flirting with Shivas during the Summer tour and went completely to a Shiva plus the Purple Haze speakers during the Fare Thee Well tour this year with the old Dead guys. And it's stuck. He ran them for his TAB fall tour and the 4-night MSG run last week.

This summer. He was flirting with Shivas during the Summer tour and went completely to a Shiva plus the Purple Haze speakers during the Fare Thee Well tour this year with the old Dead guys. And it's stuck. He ran them for his TAB fall tour and the 4-night MSG run last week.

Ok, cool... I'm interested in the preset, but since you seem to have an XL+ that probably won't do me any good :(

Are there any videos or audio recordings of these shows you know of? I'd like to hear what it sounds like :D

Ok, cool... I'm interested in the preset, but since you seem to have an XL+ that probably won't do me any good :(

Are there any videos or audio recordings of these shows you know of? I'd like to hear what it sounds like :D
All four MSG shows and the Phish summer tour are on LivePhish.com now. Here's some official video:

The Fare Thee Well stuff got a DVD set IIRC.

Which Cab IR are you using?

What would best represent the 2x12 40 watt Tone Tubby Purple Haze Alnico Hemp Cones Speakers? Would be awesome if Cliff could convince Trey to lend him his cabinet for an IR capture haha

What would best represent the 2x12 40 watt Tone Tubby Purple Haze Alnico Hemp Cones Speakers? Would be awesome if Cliff could convince Trey to lend him his cabinet for an IR capture haha

haa that would be nice..yes treys tone is killing right now.

I went with something from Andy's Cab Factory collection but without my unit in front of me I can't recall what. I think it was one of the Eminence captures. It had the right mid-range and top end characteristics when paired with my Hollowbody.

When I post my patch I'll post screen shots of the pertinent blocks.

I would pay lots of money for a proper shoot of Trey's actual cabs <<--- @Admin M@ just sayin' ;)

Even a Hard Trucker 2x12 cab with V30s and Purple Haze's would be awesome. The oversized 2x12 is pretty unique and part of Trey's "round" sound for sure.

All four MSG shows and the Phish summer tour are on LivePhish.com now. Here's some official video:

The Fare Thee Well stuff got a DVD set IIRC.

To my ears it feels like his clean-ish sounds are a bit more chewy and carry a little more girth, while his lead tone seems less nasal and slightly toned down in gain.

To my ears it feels like his clean-ish sounds are a bit more chewy and carry a little more girth, while his lead tone seems less nasal and slightly toned down in gain.
Yea, that's how I hear it too: there's more low end in the sound than ever before. And his drives sound fuzzier, not as tight and focused. It's great. Different. But great. I don't think he's stacking the TS-9s as much as he did in the past.

Also, here you go guys and gals: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/trey-a-fw-q1-06-v1.108955/

I just finished reading the interview with Trey in the recent Guitar World magazine. He changed a LOT!

Good read...

Back
Top Bottom