Which Axe-Fx Outputs are you using for recording straight to DAW?

Strange - theoretically, the digital output should provide a more accurate representation of what's going on inside the Axe-Fx, since there is no analog conversion going on until something is actually recorded, versus converting to, from, and then back to analog.

It does, but there are issues related to SPDIF and then there is the fact that you are locked to 48khz in your DAW. Me no likey.

Yeah, the 48kHz is a deal breaker for me as well. It was something that I was pretty adamant about having, but after seeing it in practice the analog outputs are far better.

And SPDIF is a consumer format and it really does show. I used a different audio interface prior with SPDIF from the AxeFX and it wasn't usable. Monitoring was a real pain, but I got jitter (not just perceived, it was audible and almost sounded like a weird form or aliasing). Basically the issue comes from taking two devices with independent clocks driving them; they can both be set at 48kHz, but they aren't synchronized and in reality they are going to be more along the lines of 48004Hz and 47993Hz...not a good idea.

Yeah, the 48kHz is a deal breaker for me as well. It was something that I was pretty adamant about having, but after seeing it in practice the analog outputs are far better.

And SPDIF is a consumer format and it really does show. I used a different audio interface prior with SPDIF from the AxeFX and it wasn't usable. Monitoring was a real pain, but I got jitter (not just perceived, it was audible and almost sounded like a weird form or aliasing). Basically the issue comes from taking two devices with independent clocks driving them; they can both be set at 48kHz, but they aren't synchronized and in reality they are going to be more along the lines of 48004Hz and 47993Hz...not a good idea.

These are two questions I still have:

1) I'm monitoring a digital input into my Fireface 400, but I have not switched the input to DIGITAL ONLY. I had thought from reading someone's post that that was impossible, so what am I hearing in the fireface on the SPDIF channel then, if not the Axe FX digital output? Also, my Fireface clocks to it, because it shows up in the Fireface control panel that the sound card is receiving sync from the Axe FX.

This next question assumes I am actually monitoring and recording digital signal on the SPDIF in my Fireface (a logical conclusion - maybe).

2) Is the fact that I'm running an RME Fireface off the Axe's 48k clock (and the fireface theoretically has some technique for correcting aliasing on-the-fly) allowing the SPDIF, be it consumer-aimed crap, to do better than what was intended, giving me a signal that is fairly jitterless?

Because 2 weeks ago I got SPDIF cables, and ran them between the Axe and the SPDIFs on my Fireface400.

And believe it or not I actually like having the SPDIF,.

I can't prove the difference, and I wouldn't put my life on it, but it FEELS at times like a tiny bit cleaner/brighter recording, when played back, in some cases, like if I'm doing something that has a lot of stereo imagining and higher frequency reverbs, the presence clarity seems EXACTLY like what I hear, whereas if I've recorded from the analog IN's in the Fireface the signal may be more like ALMOST exactly what I hear. Of course, I have both plugged in, and both signals show up in the Fireface mixer. And I can't detect the difference really when monitoring directly, but only when playing back the recording.

Well, mainly I like the fact that it sounds different, which means its not a complete waste to have gone out and purchased the SPDIF cables. At least there appears to be a difference - that I think I can detect. (hear the difference it helps that the guitar strings are very spanking new (less than 6-8 hours of play is best - but I've tried putting white mineral oil on the strings and this seems to make them last longer). The other part of this is that I'm usually running a few chunky vst synths during recording, so maybe doing analog recordings was just requiring still one more layer of processing, whereas directing copying the (possibly corrected un-ailiased) digital data from the Fireface 400 is less in terms of overhead. This is SUPER specialized-technical stuff, so I would like some guru who knows the Fireface to give feedback on if this is possible, and if there is a difference in the recordings of analog versus digital.

BTW I am a vinyl junkie, so its totally ironic that I would like something better about digital outputs, and here I am now using a digital emulator of tube amps. But still, avoiding adding yet another level of Analog-To-Digital DOES make sense to me, since I suppose there is more of the carving off of natural, organic sounding data that the digital world of the Axe FX uses that 600+ Megahertz processor in the AXE FX to busily re-invent.

Ah well, there's a chance life is one big mystery, even when they smile, tell you to go by the numbers and not worry about the "harmless digital truncation".

Last edited:
Any new input from anyone on using an S/PDIF connection between the AFx and the sound card? In theory it should be the best possible way to go since it doesn't have the added and unnecessary steps of converting the AFx audio from D-A only to run it on a cable for the sound card to convert it right back from A-D. It *should* be the best, even ideal way to record. I'm curious as to answers to the questions posed in the previous post. My M-Audio Fast Track Pro just arrived today, and on Sunday I'll be trying it out for the first time, so hope to have all the input I might be able to glean before then. Thanks for any insight!

I've been using a Toneport UX2 for the longest time, which only supports mic or line. I decided to try a Tascam US800 which supports SPDIF. I futzed with it for a while, and just can't deal with the results. Recording at 48k just screws everything else up (i.e. if you import a wav file into your project, it plays at the wrong speed). I haven't figured a way around this yet. On top of that, when I A/B a tone recorded with SPDIF, and then record the same thing with analog outs, the SPDIF track sounds dead and muffled compared to the analog. Strange indeed. So you could say I confirmed several of the comments above ;-)

So, the setup I'm sticking with is, Axefx Output 1 to my room monitors for every-day jamming, and (copy out 1 to out 2) Output 2 to the Tascam line inputs. I like using out 1 and out 2 so I can control level separately.

Last edited:
I use 1/4" TRS cables (balanced) from the Axe into the line level inputs on a Digi 002. I tried using the XLR's, but to be honest I found the signal harder to control.

The SPDIF into the Presonus Firestudio Mobile is an absolute dream! Can't say enough about this box - and in addition to the 6 balanced ins, it has a pair of mic / instrument inputs on the front with very nice preamps, zero latency monitoring, headphone mixer, midi (compatable with the axe), rack mountable and runs fine as a standalone mixer without the laptop. Perfect for me and leaves the axe-fx balanced outs free for my KW122's.

For those of you using the 1/4" unbalanced Axe outs to your interface: What kind of cables are you using? Regular instrument cables? I'm trying to track down why my direct tone is not great, and I'm wondering if it's the cheap Hosa cables I'm using. I have to go from 1/4" on the Axe side to RCA on my Audiophile 2496 so I use the Hosa with appropriate ends on each side. When I have a chance, I'm going to take a pair of home-made Mogami cables and use an adapter for the RCA side.

Just wondering what else everyone uses.

Thanks.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom