Which are your go to drives ?

I live on the TS808 for hi gain rhythms. I think I like the BB for hi gain (or any gain) solos stuff
For more mellow stuff lead stuff, I'm really into the ZEN right now. I actually have the Zendrive and spent last night A/B the two...I should have a video comparison. The FX8 version sounds so damn close, on playback I would never know which is which. The only caveat being that the FX8 controls are not the same as the actual pedal, so dialing it in the same is difficult. No matter, it nails the flavor and sounds stellar for the stuff I play

I live on the TS808 for hi gain rhythms. I think I like the BB for hi gain (or any gain) solos stuff
For more mellow stuff lead stuff, I'm really into the ZEN right now. I actually have the Zendrive and spent last night A/B the two...I should have a video comparison. The FX8 version sounds so damn close, on playback I would never know which is which. The only caveat being that the FX8 controls are not the same as the actual pedal, so dialing it in the same is difficult. No matter, it nails the flavor and sounds stellar for the stuff I play

You really should make a video comparison!

I've dialed in a really nice tone with the Tube Drive 3-knob, using HV tube clipping and EQ tweaks. It's really on par with my Bogner Ecstasy Blue and Wampler Triplewreck, but no substitute per se. I don't think I have the ears, or at least the talent in the art of EQ (or patience!), to match the tone signature of those pedals. This is why I will not likely ditch my analog drive pedals. It's much easier to just use the pedal than wait for FAS to make an accurate model or me to figure out how to tweak the drive block accordingly. The Triplewreck kills, I'm totally diggin' that pedal right now! My drive block is awesome too, the clarity and dynamics are almost as good at the Ecstacy Blue. My drive block has a "brighter" and slightly "thinner" character when I "clean it up" by lightly picking or backing off on the guitar volume. Not bad per se, just different. The Bogner's "cleaned up" tone sounds more like a clean amp setting, warmer with more "body", without dulling the highs.

I've dialed in a really nice tone with the Tube Drive 3-knob, using HV tube clipping and EQ tweaks. It's really on par with my Bogner Ecstasy Blue and Wampler Triplewreck, but no substitute per se. I don't think I have the ears, or at least the talent in the art of EQ (or patience!), to match the tone signature of those pedals. This is why I will not likely ditch my analog drive pedals. It's much easier to just use the pedal than wait for FAS to make an accurate model or me to figure out how to tweak the drive block accordingly. The Triplewreck kills, I'm totally diggin' that pedal right now! My drive block is awesome too, the clarity and dynamics are almost as good at the Ecstacy Blue. My drive block has a "brighter" and slightly "thinner" character when I "clean it up" by lightly picking or backing off on the guitar volume. Not bad per se, just different. The Bogner's "cleaned up" tone sounds more like a clean amp setting, warmer with more "body", without dulling the highs.
I have some time today to tinker and am planning to give the new FAS Boost a spin. I'm hoping it'll clone my analog pedals so I can give them a rest.

I've been running a Tape Distortion in my rhythm Scene to give my tone a little flavour. Gain on my amp is about 1-2 oclock. Tape distortion about Noon with 20% in the mix. For Leads, TS808 Mod about 11 oclock distortion, 20% in the mix. Lovely for heavier liquid tones (I tune to C Standard).

Back
Top Bottom