Which amp for a Dave Grissom tone?

RichardC

Inspired
Hey all

I just listened to Dave Grissom's most recent release '10,000 ft'. Not my cup of tea musically, but GREAT guitar sounds.

Where should I start to try and find that warm OD tone? My fave is the opening riff to the first tune "Keep Rollin' On". It's got a Marshall low end growl, but so sweet on top. I have one of his signature PRS guitars, which I love, and I'm hoping with that and some help here I can get close to what he's got going there...

Thank you! I love this place.

RC

The Dr. Z that I remember reading about him using the most as a Rt66. According to the Dr's website, it was designed to try and get that classic "Beano" tone.

So you may want to try a Marshall JTM-45 as well.

Dave Grissom uses Badcat Panther amps... so the Matchless amps are a good place to start. He gets that grittiness more from power amp distortion than pre-amp distortion and he is not a fan of hi-gain amps usually according to articles. He likes bottom and not as much treble as most folks, it's a little darker tone.... he plays PRS guitars but also teles and don't leave all your tone knobs up on 10 esp. on Tele and that may help you.... He's a phenomenal player with his own style for sure!

let me add those are 6V6 tubes as well, which is a different kinda thing and give some chime like the best Deluxe reverbs do...

you know I have been playing around with it and thus far I get the best Grissom tone from using the Budda "Buttery" amp -- it has power amp distortion qualities similar to Dave Grissom's tone.

Back
Top Bottom