Where to start for an overdriven acoustic guitar sound?

Ugly Bunny

Power User
So, my cover band recently decided to cover Wheatus' "Teenage Dirtbag." It's a super fun song and, having two guitarists and competent backing vocalists makes it an absolute blast play. I play acoustic on my JTV-59 Variax. To add to the authenticity, my bassist, @Thirtyandseven, suggested I put distortion on the sound for the choruses rather than just let the other guitarist carry the distortion. For those of you with a really cool/satisfying distorted acoustic preset, what would you recommend?

a) The AIAB route: Are there any distortions/drives that can be used by themselves that sound good enough and full/nasty enough that I wouldn't need an amp/cab?

Or...

b) If I go the amp/cab route, which I'm currently doing with more or less arbitrary selections, what amp(s) and stock cabs (or generally type of IR) would you suggest? It doesn't currently sound terrible, but I do have the lower-midrangey-almost-cocked-wah resonant frequency that is quite difficult to dial out. I'm thinking a PEQ before the amp might help with this. I guess I'm more or less trying to go from nice clean acoustic to wall of distortion and back again in as few blocks as possible, but also have that wall of distortion be very pleasing and sit in the mix well.

I would start with a 3sigma audio acoustic ir… I use the Martin 45… it’s great. Maybe try running that into a tweed deluxe amp that’s pushed a bit. Not sure how gained up you want it.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Listening to the original I think a clean boost, a filter and a Matchless type of amp could get you real close in a live setting. For cabs I would start with a flat sounding 1x12.

Back
Top Bottom