Where to put EQ in chain?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
I just have a quick question.

I use an EQ as a lowcut on all my patches (going direct, cab sim on etc). As long as I put the EQ after the amp block, does it matter if it's after or before the cab block, rotary, delays, pitch etc?

if i use an eq block i usually put it right after the cab. i dont think it would really change if you moved it around as long as its after the amp. but if your doing this lowcut to all of your patches, why dont you just cut the lows on the global eq? i was doing the same thing you are and then when i messed with the global i could take all the flub out and make all of my patches instantly more clear. no need to put an eq block in everything if you do that.

For what your doing it's the best place for it. If you want to change the fundamental tone of the guitar you would put it in front of the amp block.

wowzers said:
if i use an eq block i usually put it right after the cab. i dont think it would really change if you moved it around as long as its after the amp. but if your doing this lowcut to all of your patches, why dont you just cut the lows on the global eq? i was doing the same thing you are and then when i messed with the global i could take all the flub out and make all of my patches instantly more clear. no need to put an eq block in everything if you do that.

A parametric EQ and graphic one works differentely. A graphic one can't do a proper lowcut, only a parametric can.

At least for compressor it matters if you eq before vs after.

Here's a signal chain that I could use

PEQ1 - CMP1 - AMP - CAB - PEQ2 - CMP2 - PEQ3

PEQ1 could cut out some lows so that CMP1 wouldn't have to worry about too much lows. The PEQ1 could also shape the guitar signal a bit. Basically PEQ1 would be fixing my guitar signal better for the rest of the chain.

PEQ2 would fix possible issues I have with the CAB. So basically PEQ2 would be fixing signal from cab better for the rest of the chain.

In this example PEQ2 and CAB blocks could swap places as long as drive isn't used in CAB.

PEQ3 would do high/low pass to cut out frequencies I don't need. So again fixing the signal better for the rest of the chain (outside axe)

You could also place another PEQ or GEQ between CMP1 and AMP. That eq would be fixing the signal from the compressor to make it more to your liking, e.g. boosting some of those mids.

Summa summarum... Use peq after any block after which you think that the signal needs to be corrected for the rest of the chain (=next block/output). But before actually using eq it could be wise to consider that is there another way to fix the problem you are having.

knoll said:
At least for compressor it matters if you eq before vs after.

Here's a signal chain that I could use

PEQ1 - CMP1 - AMP - CAB - PEQ2 - CMP2 - PEQ3

PEQ1 could cut out some lows so that CMP1 wouldn't have to worry about too much lows. The PEQ1 could also shape the guitar signal a bit. Basically PEQ1 would be fixing my guitar signal better for the rest of the chain.

PEQ2 would fix possible issues I have with the CAB. So basically PEQ2 would be fixing signal from cab better for the rest of the chain.

In this example PEQ2 and CAB blocks could swap places as long as drive isn't used in CAB.

PEQ3 would do high/low pass to cut out frequencies I don't need. So again fixing the signal better for the rest of the chain (outside axe)

You could also place another PEQ or GEQ between CMP1 and AMP. That eq would be fixing the signal from the compressor to make it more to your liking, e.g. boosting some of those mids.

Summa summarum... Use peq after any block after which you think that the signal needs to be corrected for the rest of the chain (=next block/output). But before actually using eq it could be wise to consider that is there another way to fix the problem you are having.

I can see that you love compression! :mrgreen: No there is no other way, lowcut is used on pretty much all the recorded guitar tones out there, to fit in the mix. Too much lowend just ruins everything, there is no place for kick or bass.

Back
Top Bottom