Where to put BOSS NS-2 (Noise Suppresor)

NORMAN AGUILERA

I'm so confused..... where to put my NS-2....

This is my gear, and want 4CM, really want to use the effect loop in the amp.

Marshall TSL602, Boss NS-2, Ibáñez TS808, TC polytune 3, Morley A/B instrument switch, Fractal FX8 II and 2 EV-1's (volume and expresión) Also I have a channel switch cable.....

Any ideas were to set up the NS-2 ?

Do you really need the NS-2 instead of the build-in NG of the FX8? Then: AMP Loop SEND - NS2 - FX8 - AMP return
Cheers Baerti

I am with Bearti, although I cannot speak about the quality of the BOSS-NS2 noisegate ...

I have a Marshall JVM410 which is well known for highgain noise on the OD-channels on the yellow and red modes.
Also have connected the FX8 via 4CM and my OD-channels are quite as a mouse.

How do I do that: --> I use 2 Noisegates of the FX8 to dime the noise floor of pickups/ amp feedback AND noise from the pre amp section of the Marshall amp. Using BOTH noisegates may not necessarily apply to you. But the following description will show you proper positions of noisegates in a guitar signal chain ...

source 1 for noise/hum: pickups/feedback
-------------------------------------------------------
Set the Gate/Out in your preset as the FIRST noisegate. I have the following parameters. This may be different from your Marshall. Change by ear:

Treshhold: -75 dB
Ratio: 2,5
Attack: 1ms
Release: 100ms
Input Gate Out level: 0dB
Input Z: auto

This noisegate is I think the first FX in your signal chain.

source 2 for noise: the pre(amp) section of the amp
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use the GateExp effect as your FIRST effect in the signal chain in the FX Loop of your amp (this is the signal which comes directly out of the pre amp). I have the following parameters. This may be different from your Marshall. Change by ear:

Treshhold: -30 dB
Ratio: 2,5
Attack: 1ms
Hold: 1ms
Release: 100ms
Low cut: 10 Hz
high cut: 20.000 Hz
Level / + Balance: 0 dB

There are other potential sources for noise/hum, e.g. cables, etc. which I have not adressed.

In addition, I like to point out the following: The more external effect you use, the more you cannibalize the smartness of the FX8-functionality and simplicity.

Any how: whether you use the FX8 possibilities to reduce noise or your BOSS NS-2, my comments should give you an idea where to place them within the signal chain

wolbai

I’m currently trying to get the FX8 to behave the same way. The NS-2 set this way just plain works.
It works because basically the NS-2 is functioning as two noise gates, one before the preamp input and the other in the efx loop. If you want the FX-8 to work the same way you have to use TWO noise gates in the FX-8, and all will be well,

It works because basically the NS-2 is functioning as two noise gates, one before the preamp input and the other in the efx loop. If you want the FX-8 to work the same way you have to use TWO noise gates in the FX-8, and all will be well,

Luckily I do know that much already. I am using 2 currently - the one at the input and one in my post section. There are just so many more options on the gates then I am used to and neither is reacting correctly yet. I’m going to keep working at it and see what I can get to work. If all else fails I can always run the NS-2.

I will try the above mentioned settings as a starting point.

1. The trash.
2. Reverb.
3. Local buy sell trade fb group

Well that was very insightful and helpful. Many thanks.

I’m guessing from your input that you own the “best of the best” and that all of your gear is revered by all who are members of this forum.

Please post your full gear list so we can have a go.

Back
Top Bottom