Where to EQ?

wire_twerp

Inspired
As I use my Axe 3 in an FRFR setup, I like to make cuts in the EQ at about 80Hz and 8000 (for the sake of argument).

My problem is that the Axe 3 has so many places for making these cuts in both amp and speaker blocks (not complaining, just a little bewildered).

Where is the best place to make these cuts? Do I need to make the same cuts in all the different places (probably not?) What is the most effective way of deciding where to EQ even before I think about GEQ, PEQ or even global EQ?

Advice welcomed!

If you're trying to shape the final sound, EQ after the amp (post-eq). If you're trying to shape the texture of the amp's breakup, EQ before the amp (pre-eq).

The cab block is an easy place for high and low pass filtering to tame the final top and bottom end as they are built in there and require no additional blocks.

It depends on your goal.
  • If you just want to limit the frequencies, maybe cab block low/high cut features (preamp to affect all cab slots, otherwise per cab low/high cut) are enough.
  • If you want it switchable, use a graphic or parametric EQ block after the amp or cab.
  • If you want to shape it more granularly, then graphic/parametric block after the amp or cab block is a good place.
  • If you are looking to adjust how it sounds in the room or through a particular device, global EQ would be the best option.

If I feel like my dirty tones are a little muddy, I'll cut 80 or 120 and lower at the input of my drive block, and/or the input EQ of the amp block. I'll typically do the usual 6500 cut after my cab block.

Beyond those, I might boost the mids a little before my drive block or amp block, depending on the tone. More often though, I'll do whatever tone shaping I want after the cab block.

For live gigs you don't want use many different IRs, so you don't have many different versions of the cab block. You add these blocks to your presets via copy and paste. When the high and low cuts are already in there and get copied within the cab block, that's the most efficient way. No need to worry about cuts when you try different amps from then, because trying amps, that's what will happen on and on.

Imo if you dont know why you would do a cut in a certain block, dont do it. Just do your cut at the cab block as a novice user (or a filter block at the end).

Id recommend experimenting with all the various places you can make cuts to see the differences and explore those use cases at some point.

As I use my Axe 3 in an FRFR setup, I like to make cuts in the EQ at about 80Hz and 8000 (for the sake of argument).

My problem is that the Axe 3 has so many places for making these cuts in both amp and speaker blocks (not complaining, just a little bewildered).

Where is the best place to make these cuts? Do I need to make the same cuts in all the different places (probably not?) What is the most effective way of deciding where to EQ even before I think about GEQ, PEQ or even global EQ?

Advice welcomed!
Right after or in the cab block.

I've found the closer to the input block, the more dramatic. As opposed to near the end of the signal path.

And I agree, there are many many places and ways to EQ . . . sometime ya just need that little bit.
EQ-ing the delay and reverbs would be what I call 'final shaping'.

Back
Top Bottom