Where should the noise gate be placed?

Hansen

Experienced
I am wondering where I should place my noise gate for high gaing settings. Currently I have it between the amp and the cab. I just checked out Periphery's bulb preset from the Axe change site and they both have a noise gate in the IN/gate plus they have a noise gate block. This noise gate is placed before the amp, so it is kind of like two noise gates after each other.

Any recommendations here?

Last edited:
If you want to cut down on noise being increased by the gain, before (or just use the input section gate). If you want to get that drum tight staccato thing, after. As in all things, placing it wherever you think it works best IS the best option. ;)

I have found that using more than one gate can really help smooth things out. I have some presets that use the input gate, a gate after the Drive block and one betwixt the amp and cab block.

For high gain stuff, keep the input gate default and use a gate directly post input, preamp. When using high gain though be careful to not over do the settings the gate or you'll get that low bit rate effect as it craps out your signal like it's supposed to

Also - try the intelligent gate on the input - It's smarter than I could set a noise gate!
Thanks
Pauly

For high gain stuff, keep the input gate default and use a gate directly post input, preamp. When using high gain though be careful to not over do the settings the gate or you'll get that low bit rate effect as it craps out your signal like it's supposed to

You mean using default instead of intelligent in the Input gate?

I have found that using more than one gate can really help smooth things out. I have some presets that use the input gate, a gate after the Drive block and one betwixt the amp and cab block.
Do you find that having a gate between the drive and amp, makes the preset less heavy or does it only kill the noise?

If it doesn't change the character too much for your taste, another option is to go into the Amp block/advanced/PreDyn/ and increase the Dynamics Knob. In Axe Edit it's: Amp Block / Dynamics Tab / Preamp Dynamics Knob.

I'm not a big high gain user, but this is my preferred way of reducing/eliminating noise.

Do you find that having a gate between the drive and amp, makes the preset less heavy or does it only kill the noise?

I spend most of my time in high gain territory so, take it for what it’s worth; I found that NOT depending on one gate to get me what I want, seems to work better so, I sort of split the work between 2-3 gates. For me, this works because for example if I want to lower my guitar volume for a slightly overdriven bluesy solo part, I can also turn one gate off but, still have some noise reduction going on. Though, I haven’t tried using the above mentioned where placing one after the amp and switching the side chain to the input. That would most likely get me the same results or better. I actually forgot the Axe can do that so, I know what I’ll be experimenting with tonight, lol!

Tayq: No, I don’t think it kills the tone or sound at all. Each gate is only performing a small amount at each section of the signal chain.

Last edited:
Where in the noise gate to you adjust the chain setting and what does this effect?

The side chain selects what the gate threshold "listens to". By setting the side chain to input the gate threshold will open and close based on the dry guitar signal but the actual gating will affect the signal after the amp.

I have taken a screenshot of Axe Edit which shows where the side chain select is

Attachments

• Axe gate.PNG
    Axe gate.PNG
    257.1 KB · Views: 123
The side chain selects what the gate threshold "listens to". By setting the side chain to input the gate threshold will open and close based on the dry guitar signal but the actual gating will affect the signal after the amp.

I have taken a screenshot of Axe Edit which shows where the side chain select is
^ +1 on this.

Using the gate block in this way, in conjunction with the input gate, makes the gate block behave exactly like an ISP Decimator ProRack G.

If it doesn't change the character too much for your taste, another option is to go into the Amp block/advanced/PreDyn/ and increase the Dynamics Knob. In Axe Edit it's: Amp Block / Dynamics Tab / Preamp Dynamics Knob.

I'm not a big high gain user, but this is my preferred way of reducing/eliminating noise.

What does this exactly do?

it really really depends on what the "noise" is exactly. if the noise is just as loud as the notes you want, then a gate won't do too much. gates don't "seek out" noise. they just look at volume.

it really really depends on what the "noise" is exactly. if the noise is just as loud as the notes you want, then a gate won't do too much. gates don't "seek out" noise. they just look at volume.

Thanks. How do you usually set your noise gate settings on high gain presets. Do you ever use compressor to compensate for the noise gate somehow?

Back
Top Bottom