Where do you run your output knob on front of Axe?

I run mine about 9 - 10, this is with the xlr out. With the 1/4 out, I run closer to noon...if I run hotter, it will start clipping the mixing board.

flat out and control my volume from my Matrix.

Wow. Do you attenuate the levels of your patches a lot?

The input level of my powered monitors is set at about 10 o'clock and I run the Axe output level 1 (XLRs) at around 9 o'clock. Most of the stock patches, especially the high gain stuff, are way too loud for my setup and I have to knock the Level control down 3-10dB.

This is highly variable and does not and should not coincide with what other users are doing.
Myself, When in the studio, going xlr into MOTU 896HD I/O, I watch meter on 896 and raise AFX II level until Hitting 1st red, then I back off a bit and consider it correctly set.
The moral here is, set it correctly to feed a max hot signal, but not to overload or clip whatever you re feeding. This is he whole job of this level and where others set it really does not matter IMHO.

I run mine into a tube power amp and I like to keep those levels around noon because I don't want too much break up from the Tube amp. So for gig levels I keep the output on the AXE around 3-4 o'clock, but for bedroom practice around 9-10 o'clock. When going TRS into my EMU interface, I can only turn it to about to 10 o'clock otherwise I get clipping. Good thing about the power tube amp, you can't really clip it if there's no converters!!

It's probably purely psycho-illogical :D but my feeling is the output needs to be at least between 9h20 and 10AM to be able to fully let through the sound here.

I rarely go part 9 o'clock, connected to Yamaha HS80Ms via 1/4" TRS, and the level on the monitors are also around 3 o'clock.

Not meaning to be rude or indignant... but have you read the manual...page 15 to be specific... here is an excerpt

"The front panel OUTPUT LEVEL1/2 knobs independently control the volumes at these rear panel jacks.
Output 1 also adjusts the headphones level. Optimal levels will depend on what the Axe-Fx II is connected to.

To operate with unity gain, simply set the Output Level knobs to maximum. If you then route shunts from the input
to the output you will get out exactly what you put in".

So Fractal recommend running it flat out.. unless you start clipping you external equipment. :evil

Wow. Do you attenuate the levels of your patches a lot?

The input level of my powered monitors is set at about 10 o'clock and I run the Axe output level 1 (XLRs) at around 9 o'clock. Most of the stock patches, especially the high gain stuff, are way too loud for my setup and I have to knock the Level control down 3-10dB.

lol. My global outputs are attenuated by 11db - that feeds the correct signal strength - when the AFX outputs are maxed AND the Matrix is maxed to drive my speakers with their full power handling -ie 60 watts. It means I can EITHER run the Matrix flat and control the vol from the AFX OR run the AFX flat and control volume from the Matrix. I used to run the Matrix flat with my standard BUT initially I got the motor boat noises when adjusting OP2 on the AFX2 - and actually I run a cable under the AFX to the input jack - and that makes using the OP knobs (particularly OP2 which runs to the Matrix) awkward. I find it easier to just leave them full up and control volume from the Matrix.

At home the Matrix is between 9 O'Clock and 11 O'Clock. At gigs its between 12 O'Clock and 3 O'Clock - so I have volume to spare should I need it.

Not meaning to be rude or indignant... but have you read the manual...page 15 to be specific... here is an excerpt

"The front panel OUTPUT LEVEL1/2 knobs independently control the volumes at these rear panel jacks.
Output 1 also adjusts the headphones level. Optimal levels will depend on what the Axe-Fx II is connected to.

To operate with unity gain, simply set the Output Level knobs to maximum. If you then route shunts from the input

So Fractal recommend running it flat out.. unless you start clipping you external equipment. :evil

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-players-what-your-out-levels.html#post615030

Better quote that directly, it's important!

Fractal Audio said:
Everyone listen and listen closely:

UNITY GAIN IS ONLY FOR WHEN RUNNING FOUR-CABLE METHOD. OTHERWISE, USE THE LEVEL CONTROLS TO CONTROL THE LEVELS. YOU SHOULD NEVER TURN THE LEVEL KNOBS ALL THE WAY UP UNDER NORMAL USE.

My own settings:
Out 1 via xlr to desk: ~ 25% (I always ask the soundguy to tell me if I should go higher or lower)
Out 2 to my 12ma (set to 0 dB): ~ 50% at rehearsal (with loud drums in a room that seems to suck the sound), ~ 35% on most stages, w/ my monitor at my feet directed at me

p.s. global EQs usually flat, unless something calls for changes at the venue

run flat out for 4CM

Depends on what I'm running, if it has the headroom, I'll have the axe flat out. If it doesn't, like for eg when I run to most FoH, it's about 9 o clock or near.

I think it's best to run a power amp pretty much full up and control volume from the pre-amp or mixer - exploits the maximum clean headroom of the amp. Depends I suppose on those sweet spots that you find sometimes - maybe the amp likes a hotter level at input meaning you have to wind down the output vols .... or there's a spot that sounds good in the amps volume setting that isn't full up. As long as it's never set low enough to clip or high enough to pop a speaker .....

Can't beat a good definitive answer huh?

To operate with unity gain, simply set the Output Level knobs to maximum. If you then route shunts from the input to the output you will get out exactly what you put in".

"To operate with unity gain" is not the same statement as "Make sure you operate with unity gain."

It's as if a car manual said "To operate with throttle wide open, press the gas pedal all the way." Then blaming the manual for going too fast.

Reactions: jon
Back
Top Bottom