Where did the FOR SALE section go???

Apparently there has been an increase of scammers. One got me, but thankfully PayPal ended up siding with me, but only after a lot of back and forth.

A scammer hijacked someone's account on the forum with hundreds of posts and posted a listing for a reasonable price with pictures that checked out. I paid with PP goods and services as usual.

Scammer somehow found a tracking number of a random package that was delivered to an address in my zip code and added it to the PayPal transaction. The zip code is the only information about the package delivery address you can see on the USPS tracking page, so when I filed the dispute PayPal initially decided against me because all they can see is "package delivered to zip code <my zip code>," even though the scammer had apparently CALLED PAYPAL POSING AS ME TO REQUEST TO CLOSE THE DISPUTE BUT COULDNT PASS THE VALIDATION, and PayPal called me to check if it was actually me that wanted to close the transaction, I said no and that was probably the scammer, and they STILL decided against me. 🤦‍♂️

I had to contact my local post office who came in clutch with a picture of the actual package which was not even close to the size of an FM9 and an email confirming that it was not delivered to my address, so finally PayPal reversed their decision and refunded my money.
Ouch, that's a pain. I'm pretty sure I almost fell for the same scam a few months ago. Something set off my spidey sense, I backed out, and the guy deleted all his posts a couple days later.

Edit: And now I can't see his profile from my DM list either, looks like the account has been mostly nuked.

Yup and you can add my name to the list of folks that got scammed .... Unfortunately PayPal didn't ( wouldn't ) side w/ me and I lost a couple of grand .... I think that was the straw that broke ( so to speak ), becasue the For Sale forum was shuttered a copule of days later ....

I'm having to work with my credit care company on a challenging case because of what was taking place. Ultimately, it was my responsibility, but it was becoming a bigger problem here.

I understand, honestly, but I must say, since I bought my Standard in April, 2009, I upgraded EVERY AXEFX made (except the FX only and the AXEFX 3) and sold them here on the forum. I also have sold loaded pickguards, etc. NEVER had an issue.
BUT, I also ONLY sold to forum members I recognized from the forum....................

Yup and you can add my name to the list of folks that got scammed .... Unfortunately PayPal didn't ( wouldn't ) side w/ me and I lost a couple of grand .... I think that was the straw that broke ( so to speak ), becasue the For Sale forum was shuttered a copule of days later ....
That sucks ! PayPal was of zero help ? So much for “protection”…

I understand, honestly, but I must say, since I bought my Standard in April, 2009, I upgraded EVERY AXEFX made (except the FX only and the AXEFX 3) and sold them here on the forum. I also have sold loaded pickguards, etc. NEVER had an issue.
BUT, I also ONLY sold to forum members I recognized from the forum....................
Same. LOTS of deals (buying as well as selling) with forum members I recognized for years.

Same. LOTS of deals (buying as well as selling) with forum members I recognized for years.
I've bought stuff here too (well one thing), zero problems.

Thing is though, which you probably already read about, in at least one case the scammer took over the account of a well known long time member, so it LOOKED like someone the victim knew.

That's no protection though actually.

I was about to sell one of my Axe-Fx units and I was going to sell it through this forum. What's the next best way to sell? I don't use Reverb and I barely use Ebay.

I was about to sell one of my Axe-Fx units and I was going to sell it through this forum. What's the next best way to sell? I don't use Reverb and I barely use Ebay.
Facebook Marketplace.

Sweetwater has a used gear service.

Sell to Guitar Center.

Reverb and eBay are still quite popular.

Facebook Marketplace.

Sweetwater has a used gear service.

Sell to Guitar Center.

Reverb and eBay are still quite popular.
Reverb has steadily increased their prices over the years. I do not do eBay anymore because it got shady and expensive. Reverb is still solid, but they really got expensive quick....

If you don't want to deal with Reverb, just sell to GC. No muss, no fuss, no waiting, no shipping, no risk, just cash in hand, if they'll take your items. You'll get less than in a private sale, but the simplicity and lack of risk makes it worth it to me, at least in some cases. Not sure what their take is on Fractal gear though.

Unfortunate to hear this has been happening, also not ideal timing for me as I was just about to move off my old unit.

Back
Top Bottom