Where’s my mojo?

Sometimes folks feel discouraged when some momentous event occurs (Father's Day, B-Day, etc.) that reminds us our biological clocks are ticking, and we've still got stuff on our bucket lists we've not even begun to explore. There are several reasons we feel this way: 1) we've become complacent with the status quo in our lives, and are looking to learn something new to incorporate into our playing. 2) our tone quest using various pieces of gear has reached a plateau. Or, 3) our financial circumstances in life have required that we downsize our most cherished pieces of gear for less expensive / satisfactory quality pieces.

1) Is internal, and is a natural desire to not settle for what we know currently. This desire is innate to most all human beings; we enjoy learning new things that inspire us and help us recognize more subtle warning signs of our health that might indicate we want too much before we can adapt to learning new things at an an achievable rate.

2) A tone quest plateau is common for many musicians during the course of their career as a practicing guitarist. A plateau can be simply a sign that one's ability to absorb new material has reached a slight impasse. An illustration might be that your learning ability has reached a saturation point, and you're looking to rid yourself of the excess you've tried to incorporate into your practice schedule. It's your mental self-defense mechanism that's telling you your brain is filled with ideas and concepts, but somehow you're waiting for a cathartic moment that will produce a key song riff or melody, etc...the money riff that might be a decent future song. The downside is that it's like writing a term paper for school. When you run out of things to say, your brain takes a dump.

3) Dependent on one's existing financial status, we may have spent a lot of time with our tone-quests hoping to learn valuable life's lessons and really come round full circle since our childhood days when a $400 guitar and $200 amp provided most every basic tone we needed, and our tone-quest focused on building and swapping effects on our effects boards. In order to afford what we desire most, we've stopped collecting, and have begun to downsize, collecting only the best gear at the least cost.

That being said, yes, I've experienced all of these feelings. In 2021 my boutique effects and amp were sold so my FM9 could replace the amp warehouses I'd need to store actual gear. It was a miracle that Cliff builds FAS gear doesn't command much more exorbitant prices. During plateau phases it might be necessary to set the guitar down for several weeks and try some occupational therapy (small DIY home projects, gardening, new meal prep dishes to break the monotony...). Sometimes even some home or auto repair if perhaps your garage houses workbench tools and such. Lastly, unless you've run out of storage space for guitar cases, music room amps and music related items, don't feel obligated to sell off your gear in hopes of acquiring a holy grail piece. Having owned several PRS Private Stock myself previously only means I was among the privileged who could afford high-end gear, and sadly could not justify owning such quality gear with my limited chops.

We will all experience these phases in life as guitarists; it's a natural history of life's events for reach of us on a small scale.

The key towards moving forward despite temporary setbacks or wait times is to realize that sometimes to reach a destination requires taking a detour because of road hazards or construction ahead. Just select an alternate route and your GPS will recalculate your travel and arrival time.

Just to note, the OP and I and others aren't saying we're depressed, or don't want to play, just that we're more inclined to improvise than learn other people's songs.

I'm having a blast playing these days, as well as exploring tones and refining my overall Axe setup. I've been playing a long time (!), and I've had my cover band years, I'm just not much interested in that now, for whatever reason.

Still have the joy in playing though!

I think we all go through this at one time or another. I can remember getting so burnt on playing other people's music, even as a sideman for original artists. Most of the time It's missing the fulfillment of creating something. I always love performing regardless, but just playing for the sake of playing is hard some times.
A couple years ago I felt like I was getting very apathetic about it all. My solution was to venture into different genres that were a challenge. Focusing on the learning the feel and the touch as opposed to just the notes. I can tell you that coming from a rock and blues background and trying to learn Brett Mason's or Brad Paisley style of playing is a challenge. It rekindled the fire to play and changed my outlook on music in general.
My perception was changed by changing my perspective.

My playing slowed down a lot after cv19... I still feel the pull of it calling me back and really miss it. Each time I think it's time to jump back in, life happens or the difficulties of working something out with others. When inspiration hits, I have the AxeIII and a guitar beside me to get it out of my system, I think maybe those moments need recorded. If I start thinking about lugging a rig somewhere, putting up with my own idiosyncrasies and those from several other people... it kinda kills the mood, but I still long for it. It's kinda like going through bad relationships, after you have had a few it's a little harder to get excited about new ones.
main-qimg-385d9ead6afbbbdb9822ba508c5000ab

And just maybe since I turned 59 a couple weeks ago, I'm just a grumpy old man.

What’s wrong with me? What is the cure??

I've found that if I wait around to "feel like it", "it" never happens. But once you put out a little effort and get started, things seem work themselves out. Of course, other people have a mind of their own if it's a group project there are many variables. Also taking too long a break between playing can make it take a little longer and hard to get back into, I've been here before but if you be consistent the passion always returns after a while.

Hi Dave,

I didn’t say that. Perhaps you made an assumption?

Thanks
Paul
Just to note, the OP and I and others aren't saying we're depressed, or don't want to play, just that we're more inclined to improvise than learn other people's songs.

I'm having a blast playing these days, as well as exploring tones and refining my overall Axe setup. I've been playing a long time (!), and I've had my cover band years, I'm just not much interested in that now, for whatever reason.

Still have the joy in playing though!

Hi Dave,

I didn’t say that. Perhaps you made an assumption?

Thanks
Paul
Think we've got our wires crossed here Paul :)

I was reacting to the post right above mine, addressing how "Sometimes folks feel discouraged". I didn't think you were saying you were discouraged, not at all, and I was agreeing with you that I don't feel so much like playing other people's songs either, but I'm very much enjoying playing.

Are we clear? It's easy for things to get tangled up on the net.

I will say this, even though it may be slightly off topic. Lately whenever I find a venue, or other outlet for music, it quickly vanishes. Long running jam sessions and open mics seem to regularly disappear just as we find out about them. So many places are shutting down. Recently, my wife and I met a married couple—pro level songwriters and musicians—lovely people that we clicked with instantly. Shortly after, we learned that they’re moving out of state. Just another in a very long string of kicks in the teeth. Honestly, it feels like I’m cursed….and maybe I should stop trying.

Ah when you said ‘OP’ I thought you were referring to ‘original poster’.
No worries.

I was reacting to the post right above mine, addressing how "Sometimes folks feel discouraged". I didn't think you were saying you were discouraged, not at all, and I was agreeing with you that I don't feel so much like playing other people's songs either, but I'm very much enjoying playing.

Sometimes folks feel discouraged when some momentous event occurs (Father's Day, B-Day, etc.) that reminds us our biological clocks are ticking, and we've still got stuff on our bucket lists we've not even begun to explore. There are several reasons we feel this way: 1) we've become complacent with the status quo in our lives, and are looking to learn something new to incorporate into our playing. 2) our tone quest using various pieces of gear has reached a plateau. Or, 3) our financial circumstances in life have required that we downsize our most cherished pieces of gear for less expensive / satisfactory quality pieces...

😅😂🤣
Trying to get pregnant?

giphy.gif
Reading for context is very important...not merely cherry-picking phrases like Colbert and Kimmel do for a laugh.

Hi, Dave,

I guess it was my comments about how life's events can cause a slowdown or plateauing effect of how or when we'd enjoy playing...though I personally find it very much influenced by what else is going on that causes this plateau.

If this sounds familiar, perhaps the bucket lists of things we'd like to do just need re-prioritizing...even though playing music may take a back seat for a while, there will be times when we get to play out in public again...

Honestly, it feels like I’m cursed….and maybe I should stop trying.

"Feels like I'm cursed" sounds like a great song in the works to me.

Seriously, I'm thinking maybe us old guys need to embrace the modern way and start posting our own music on the different media platforms. Sometimes I feel the need to share with (or torture!?) others...
Pretty sure no one is going to call and hit me up to go on tour. Making $ is difficult for even the best musicians nowadays and there are almost zero places to play around here live except for a random festival. Music is in a funny (or not so funny) place. Many are interested but few want to make the commitment.

I quit playing for a couple years in the 90’s. Tired of my equipment and my tone and I was playing the same stuff I always have. I went ballistic on fishing during that period too. But I got back into it. New guitar, started building amps, jamming with some guys. Then I bought a FM3 and some more guitars which kicked me into gear. It’s a great headphone amp so I can practice at a good volume without bugging people who might not want to hear me play the same exercise or song over and over. Then I took some lessons for the 1st time ever and am doing better at practicing. Learning new stuff keeps me going and being able to play anytime day or night helps. So to the OP, try some lessons. Might spark you up.

I've been an electric player most of my life. Recently I started getting into more acoustic playing (and players) and it's rejuvenated my love for guitar. Go play some high end acoustics and see if they resonate with you (pun intended). I still play electric every weekend, but acoustics have opened a new learning path for me. It's not good for my GAS, but I'm having a lot of fun.

I've also been listening to bluegrass (like Billy Strings) and although it's never going to be my first choice when I'm on a road trip...it's fun to listen to different guitar styles and try to play them. Much harder than I expected. The new challenge is good for my brain.
This is great way to get back Mojo or break out of any slumps. Put the electric down. Pick of the acoustic.

It keeps you from playing the same licks over and over again as on the electric.

Back
Top Bottom