What's your opinion for paying me a little bit for a patch you love to have it !

if in xl not gonna happen, if I downloaded a patch and used it consistently with little tweaking myself, I'd consider it, but as others have said I'd rather think we were all brothers here doing this for fun, love etc. Now if you went online with someone and spent hours tutoring them, that's different.

For your own presets, I think the donation route is the way to go.

On the other hand, you might consider charging for consulting. In a consulting role, you work with the client until the client achieves their goal. There is more iteration and the goal is for the client to be happy. You are helping them tweak it to their taste.

That's OK but I don't thing the Fractal forum should become an "advertising platform". Can you imagine the ramifications? I know that's not what you want either I am just elaborating on your post- I still think folks who want to do this should just put a link to their website in their signature - period-like Tyler does-His link doesn't say Donations here or presets for sale, or whatever. But when you go their their is a link for donations, which is OK of course.

BTW, just an example. I use Tylers "old" Dumble patch from quite a few years ago and I did make a donation. Yes, I tweaked it but it still is 80% his settings. So I am not saying that is wrong -

And I also bought the TAF Bronze for the Presets mainly - so I could learn more and I have and it's great!

I will follow up and say that for a new user buying a set of patches may be a great idea. You could take their settings to see how a basic set up would work and then go from there

There is nothing wrong with asking for donations.

That being said, there is no substitute for learning and creating your own patches. Some of the more esoteric delay/wah/whatever we all might need help with, but Fractal has made it SO easy to get great tone out of the amp. The variations on playing style, guitar, routing (FRFR, AMP/CAB, etc) make sharing patches problematic IMO.

As far as the downloading, I've downloaded very many patches off AxeChange, a sum total of zero have made it into my lineup. This is not against these patches, but more to do with what needs I have.

R

Half of it is tone, the other half is feel for me. I like a pretty saturated gainy tone, and I'm the kind of guy that's got to experience it for myself. I DLed Fremen's presets and there was a ton of stuff in there that I use on a daily basis, so I kicked him some money.

I've also DLed a bunch of stuff off of the Axechange and I've probably kept and used 1% of it. There's no way I'd pay first, but if I DLed a patch and really dig it I'd have no problem sending you a buck or whatever. Just realize that even though I grabbed it and didn't pay, it's not because I'm ripping you off for a dollar. It's because it didn't feel right to me so I didn't use it beyond a trial period.

Just do it. You will succeed or fail determined by the market. Each person should decide their contribution path and what their time is worth and FAS users will determine if they are worthy of $$$. I bought Coopers video training. From it I derived my go to patch, for my XL, from one of his example patches. Then I replicated it on my Ultra. It changed my entire set list as it became my go to sound. Win/win.

You are welcome to solicit payment for your patches, just as I am free to say, "No thanks". Don't get me wrong here. I understand musicians trying to support themselves. For me, building presets helps me understand the functions of the electronic gear I love so much, and perhaps claw my way up to being half as smart as Cliff. The Fractal - $2500. Guitar - 4k. Knowledge gained from tweaking? Priceless.

I'm thinking about how much time it would take to tweak that patch per person and how it can be worth doing it. And what are the guarantees if the patch isn't 100% there but needs some adjustment here and there etc? Many questions unanswered.. but sure.. if someone would pay... even $5 for that service and it takes an hour to load up that sound and reamp it through the Axe-Fx and create that patch I don't see that as something very effective. $5 minus tax is like $3 in reality. And what about if the patch uses commercial IRs? There are no rights to resell digital products.

Who said anything about $5? I personally could spend a hundred or two if somebody made me a set of patches for my needs. In a way, Fractal Audio does this for artists they endorse, it seems, so there is demand for this service even though those artists probably have techs who know a thing or two about sound. I simply have no time for all the endless tweaking, no matter how much fun it is. Ever since I bought my AFX I started actually playing guitar much less, in fact.

And with regard to commercial IRs, what's the problem? I can buy them myself, I just need to know which ones to buy. I have some, but I never even tried 99% of them, so I'm really reluctant to buy any more "packs" of anything.

I just wanna have your opinion whether or not you like to pay me for a patch which you think it's worth of paying !, and also the time I spent for that !.

i think the patch sounds great but thru the past couple yrs there have been some dynamite uploads along w/ the dross that would make it impractical to pay for just one good patch. besides it was pointed out depending on the gear used, a patch may need much tweaking anyway. keep up the good work- very impressive! :mrgreen

Bill Gates bucked the free software sentiment of his time and went on to be the richest person.

I say go for it, worst case scenario, you fail. Your investment is nothing. Of course your market reach will be small and at best this will be a beer money endevour.

I would pay only if it was designed on my rig. Lots of times they don't sound the same on my gear due to guitar, speakers and other factors.

For me, I think I'd only buy named artist patches from the actual artist (e.g., Petrucci, Vai, U2, ...). For example, I would pay for Petrucci's actual patches, or Vai's.

It would have to be highly specialized and precise for me to buy otherwise (e.g., a dead-on Ty Tabor Gretchen tone).

I mean, you are definitely welcome to go this route. Not everyone will want to pay, but maybe there are some that would.

I don't see it as being any different to people charging for amp profiles on the Kemper, or well produced IRs etc. If some people struggle to master the intricacies of the Axe Fx they may very well be willing to pay a small fee to get them there.

A free market and paid market can co-exist just fine.

I don't think many people will buy patches from an unknown guitar player or patch maker if they can not try it beforehand. 75% of the patches I have downloaded from other users sounded bad or not to my taste on my gear. So I would never buy patches that I can not try for myself beforehand. If I like it I am willing to make a donation. But not before I can try it.

i think the patch sounds great but thru the past couple yrs there have been some dynamite uploads along w/ the dross that would make it impractical to pay for just one good patch. besides it was pointed out depending on the gear used, a patch may need much tweaking anyway. keep up the good work- very impressive! :mrgreen

Thank you for your time and listening :)

Back
Top Bottom