What's your favorite Q4.00 clean model

Andre Antunes

Inspired
The title says it all.

I'd like to know which models would you use in q4.00 that suit best the "absolute clean/no breakup" type of clean.

I think the clean amp tones have gotten better in the AXE over time.
The CAE3+ Clean is one I am using a lot for straight ahead jazz clean right now. The others mentioned also good.

Shiver Clean, 12AX7 AC-20 (with a lower input drive), or Gibtone Scout

Last edited:
I enjoy the 59 bassman at low drives (clean) with a DoubleVerb cab with the R121 mic (Stock cab 21)
Glorious sound to my ears, full and tubey tone for playing alone at home... can't speak to how it holds up in band context yet though.

It sounds best to me just straight and plain with some reverb... doesn't seem to hold up as well as a pedal platform though I haven't really dug in to make it work.

Triptik for piano clean.
Morgan AC20 EF86's for Voxey clean.
Matchless DC30 for clean right up to the edge of breakup (transitions well to its own amazing pushed sound).
Shiva & Dr Z's for twangy clean.
Tweeds & Deluxes for smokey cleans & bluesy stuff.
Dumble for fusion-y cleans.

...DC30 is probably my favorite of the lot.

I like the tube pre, when it has to be squeaky clean like Nile Rodgers or Another Brick in the Wall

Being a british flavour kind of guy, I actually also love the JM45 for its cleans (I changed tubes to EF86 and KT88 IIRC). The Dirty Shirley will do similar cleans. When I am in the mood for Voxey cleans, I prefer the AC15.

59 Bassman and the JTM45 have been working really well for me lately. I typically go for AC30 type amps for my cleans, but have been using these two most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom