what's your favorite hard rock dirty / rhythm tones?

Kings X (Ty Tabor) - Grechen era!
Anthrax (Scott Ian) - Sound of White Noise (not my favourite album of theirs but a great tone!)
Def Leppard - Hysteria album (can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet!)

Kings X (Ty Tabor) - Grechen era!
Anthrax (Scott Ian) - Sound of White Noise (not my favourite album of theirs but a great tone!)
Def Leppard - Hysteria album (can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet!)

I have to say I like just about all of Ty's tones.
I also have to agree with the sound of white noise being an awesome home but then again I think I like all the guitar tones from the album on.
Hysteria was one of the ones that just barely missed my list, I still can't believe all those guitar tones are done with a Rockman distortion generator.

I

Speaking of Hysteria, one of the most INTRIGUING tones I've heard is the solo to Armageddon It. The 5th bar in that pull off open string run! No technical wizardry or anything, just a cool lick with a great tone. Not exactly clean, not exactly dirty either, but very chimey, glassy and ringing. Very cool...

Sorry, I know this thread is about rhythm tones, but I just really dig that lead tone. Something different.

my top 5 rhythm sounds:

steve lukather / toto on the mindfields album
steve lukather / toto on the hydra album
steve vai - passion and warfare
andy timmons - resolution
van halen - don't tell me what love can do (that intro tone is just killer)

Some may consider this more "metal" but I'd say Vivian Campbell's sound on the Holy Diver album. Otherwise, Joe Perry on Get Your Wings...

1980'
Slash on Appetite for Destruction.
Without a doubt the Album that meant/means most to me ever.
Yes i was 13 and on my first illegal moped...
I don't care what people say about Slash, but I love him.

1990's
Pearl Jam
Alice in Chains

2000's
Foo Figthers

2010's
Alice in Chains (so far)

Back
Top Bottom