What's your favorite Fender single coil pickup set ?

The above pics are of the loaded DG pickguard and the stock one , and the stripped body I sanded down after seeing there were a multitude of shrink lines in the finish , across the body.

I didn't notice the lines until I got the guitar under bright light and saw it at an angle. I called Fender and they said , "it happens".
My OCD kicked in and I sanded the body smooth.
The wiring on the new pickguard looks very well done. The color of the guard itself ; unfortunately , was wrong , so my attempt at a lazy pickup swap - backfired. I had to swap all the controls and pickups.

She's back together. I rested the trem , put 10's on it. Feels stiff. The slinky floating strat with 9's is gone.
The D Gilmour pickup configuration sounds good. I can see these single coils need to be adjusted rather precisely , in terms of height. They are sounding better already.
I'll be tinkering for a few days.

Last edited:
I have a Kinman Traditional MK-III set on my strat and love them. I believe they offer a Gilmore Black Strat set of their Impersonator series but you would have to check their site. Kinmans are pricey but well worth it in my humble opinion.

These pickups have sparked my interest after watching a Brett Kingman video demo. Very sweet sounding. Are these your only Kinman pickups ?

Personally I think you need two strats for Gilmour - you need a something with real buzzy single coils (my PRS DC-3 fills this for me) and a strat style guitar with the EMG DG-20 setup (my DG-20 loaded strat). The tones are some completely distinctive - and they are both amazing. You can't really make both sets of sounds in one guitar in my opinion. You need both.

These pickups have sparked my interest after watching a Brett Kingman video demo. Very sweet sounding. Are these your only Kinman pickups ?

Yes they are my only ones. I had a set of Fender SCN Samarium Cobalt Noiseless in my Strat and never liked them. They were just plain dull. I was talking to Matt (@Admin) here and he recommended the Kinmans so I gave them a shot. I know several others that have different Kinmans than the set I chose and they all love theirs as well. Again, they are not cheap by any means but well worth it in my humble opinion.

I bought the K9 harness they offer with my pickups which made it a simple install.

I will say the Kinman's grew on me. I was not blown away at first.

Now I am hooked and would like to explore other Kinman sets.

Caveat, I was a dyed in the wool Gibson humbucker guy and was making the switch to a Strat as my #1 at the same time as getting the Kinmans. So part of my not bonding with the Kinmans was just the obvious learning how to play a Strat. I really never knew all the considerations about how to get the tones I wanted out of a Strat.

Now, I find some satisfaction and pride, how much I enjoy the Strat and that I can get good tones from it.

I will say the Kinman's grew on me. I was not blown away at first.

Now I am hooked and would like to explore other Kinman sets.

Caveat, I was a dyed in the wool Gibson humbucker guy and was making the switch to a Strat as my #1 at the same time as getting the Kinmans. So part of my not bonding with the Kinmans was just the obvious learning how to play a Strat. I really never knew all the considerations about how to get the tones I wanted out of a Strat.

Now, I find some satisfaction and pride, how much I enjoy the Strat and that I can get good tones from it.

...Sounds too much like MY story. Lol
I shouldn't say I want to sound like Gilmour. I like his tones. I also like the lead tones of EVH. And , I enjoy the pallet of tones available from a strat vs the LP , now that I've played around with one for a while.
I'd like to bit the bullet and get ahold of a set of Kinman pickups to put in my 2nd strat.
I've been full circle with humbuckers and LP's over the years , and came to the conclusion that the low output pickups give me the most tone. These single coils have taken it a step further , yet I still desire the singing leads , like the old VH.
I'm on the fence about which set to get. Kingman's Blues set demo sounds great too.

Back
Top Bottom