Whats your favorite Axe amp for "modern sounds"

stm113

Power User
I am about to redo my Axe to take advantage of all of the glory of 7.0! I play in a cover band that runs the range of Thin Lizzy to Shinedown. I like having 2 -4 preset banks for my 80's stuff 1 is for the Hair and the other is for well the other 80's stuff we do. I also have a 4 preset bank for my classic rock stuff. I have my maind 4 preset bank which is my just all around tone i like the best. It works for the modern stuff well enough but I really do want a 4 preset bank for our modern songs.

What do y'all like to use for Shinedown, Sixx AM, Linkin Park, Seether, Three Days Grace etc? I know the majority of these bands go Mesa but I find the Mesa amps on the Axe to sound too "dense" if that makes any sense. I need something also that I can get alot of power out of with out over saturating or over compressing the tone. If you listen to alot of "modern" bands from about 2004-2011 I think you'd agree that there's jot as much saturation in the tone.

Try the FAS Modern .... granted I tend to use it more for heavier/thashier stuff a la Trivium, As I Lay Dying, etc, but I like it because it sits in a mix easier for me than the Mesa sound I was going for before that. I can get great sounds out of a number of the high gain amps in the axe, this one just does it easier for me with my guitars with little to no tweaking in the axe or post eq.. It is a more "focused" sound for lack of a better term.

absolutely, in 7.0 I love the FAS Modern, it's like a cross between a Recto and a Mark IV.
Works great with a 7 string, you can get nice clarity on the lower strings but still play lead with it not thinning out.
I had posted on early in my fractal "carrer" if anyone had any success creating a patch that was like a hybrid recto/Mark
this is it.

Of course the FAS Modern, but the FAS 6160, FAS Lead 1 and 2 are really good amps as well.

Recto Orange is "my" main tone. I haven't really found what I want in the modern yet. FAS Lead 2 is sick. It nails those early John Petrucci era tones when he was using the Triaxis.

Ive been all over the JVM lately. I like to keep the gain low so its just above a "crunch" and then use overdrive pedals for bigger sounds.

A mix between a Recto Orange Vintage and the Friedman. The Recto for the lows and highs and the Friedman for the Marshall mids.

I really love the Energyball, FAS Modern, PVH 6160 and Mesa Red Mdrn. They all sound really good paired with the good cabs.

For my modern high gain tones I have been using the Cameron ch1 with the gain about 6 and set to the modern voicing, boosted with the T808mod. It's a very good modern high gain Marshall tone.

Back
Top Bottom