What's your backup amp ?

I have a pod xt live that I have never gigged... It's not even setup in a favorable configuration for gigs. I also have a single channel Jet City 20w amp.

The one time the axe did go down, I used my wife's axe ultra (that still has my presets on it) and she used a DI box for bass. Didn't have a controller setup for it, but it was good enough to limp through the gig.

Your wife has an Ultra! That's awesome.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I went with the Mesa MKIV after and it worked a treat !

I actually swapped it for some Mesa Thiele cabs I wanted to shift after I bought the AXE FX so never needed to gig it, only ever used it for practice at our singers house. What a worthy backup it is though, great sound !

Will certainly look into the Positive Grid stuff for Ipad, can see that being a great backup too !

I use the Axe models as a backup, for the inevitable time my amp head has a problem, or I need to save space (4CM user). I put the fx block right on top of the amp block. If needed I can easily use the amp block with my presets.

I've always used a Vox Tonelab SE as a backup for my Axe-Fx II ( And needed it last year..), liked the fact that it had 2 expression pedals on it BUT.............

After watching Tom Quayle's YouTube video on Positive Grid's Bias app for iPad Positive Grid Bias Extensive Demo - Tom Quayle - YouTube

I downloaded Bias & Jamup Pro XT for my iPad Air , bought an iRig HD interface, iPad attachment for my Mic stand and a mini jack to twin male Xlr 3m lead.... Sorted, my new backup Rig is complete. (Well almost, Positive Grid are bringing out a Bluetooth footswitch soon, the final piece of the jigsaw.... Positive Grid – BT-4 )

I was already taking my iPad to gigs to adjust my IEM monitor mix on our Soundcraft Mixer so happy days....

Wow - I am sorry to hear you are having some difficulties.

Here are my backup rigs:

(1) Mesa Coliseum 300 Series (with Lexicon PCM42 digital delay in FX loop and an attenuator and dummy speaker load) for tone and distortion shaping (extremely responsive) slaved into Roland Jazz Chorus 120 (low impedance front panel input) for level control and subtle stereo chorus and tremolo effects (2x60W).

(2) Line 6 POD HD 500

(3) Line 6 POD XT PRO

I also have Wampler Dual Fusion and Xotic RC and AC Plus pedals I can integrate into my backup rigs or house rigs.

So far, though, the FAS AXE FX II, MFC MKIII and CLR NEOs have performed flawlessly. :)

It used to be a POD HD 500, now it's a 2nd Axe FX. I leave it at our rehearsal location so no more transporting my primary around all the time, and the singer uses it to play guitar on a few songs, so it's always there if I need it. As a mediocre guitar player, I'm comforted having a backup rig that wouldn't be a huge degradation in quality. I wouldn't feel right putting on a half-ass show for someone's wedding because my guitar amp crapped the bed.

Forgot this looks interesting TECH 21 - FLYRIG5

My not be the best sounding but certainly small enough

MY Mesa Mark IV is my backup but I don't carry it everywhere with me and thats when something usually craps out, on the gig.

John

Scott said he uses a Tech 21 - British ....

I'm interested in their "new" Sans Amp Fly Rig 5.

Just announced at NAMM. After reading about it, I'd probably perfer one w/a Liverpool option instead of the Blonde ..., but for a true "back-up" option why be picky ....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom