whats wrong with the axe fx tuner?

mniel8195

Inspired
hey guys ive been really noticing that the axe fx tuner jumps around allot. Its not because im playing hard so it goes out of tune or anything i just feel its really bad. could there be something wrong with my input settings or something? would it be worth it to get a Turbo Tuner ST-200? its especially hard when im trying to set up a guitar for intonation.

The Axe-fx tuner works very well IMHO, it's very smooth and accurate. Check out your cable and input level. I think the problem is not the Axe...

Agreed. I used a Stroborack for a year - only because I couldnt see the Axe tuner from across the stage. Since the MFC Ive not used the Peterson - the Axe tuner is almost as good - and better than most rack tuners (the Korgs etc). I have run both the AFX and Stroborack together - bot stable and both accurate. If yours is jumping around, theres something wrong somewhere.

Yup, something wrong somewhere. I am a NOTORIOUSLY difficult person to please, especially when it comes to tuners, and I have found that the axe is much to my liking. There are some issues when tuning basses and 7-9string instruments, but otherwise, it is a very smooth, very accurate tuner. What tuning are you tuning to? Do you have the tone pot rolled back? Is the guitar volume all the way up? Are there any other pedals etc in your chain? Do you have good cables?

Also note that the initial transients of a note will send the string slightly sharp, whether you hit hard or not, but is much more prominent if you hit hard. Some tuners do not pick up this transient, but the axe does. It could be this that you are seeing as well. It's best to wait a second for the initial attack to die off before making tuning adjustments.

I use the axe Tuner to intonate all my guitars-I have double checked it with my Strobesoft tuners, boss tuners, etc. It's spot on and does "not" move or jump around anymore thaen the otheres I mentioned, in fact less.You have something else going on there.

I have noticed the same thing too with mine. My guess it is the signal. I use the harmonics on the 12th fret to tune and for the most part it is stable unless the strings are going bad and need to be changed.

Mine seems fine... I really use my Strobosoft tuner on my PC (DAW). I end up tuning G a bit flat (5c) to compensate for nut/heavy fisting below the 5th fret... The front panel on the AX works nearly as well as the Strobosoft.. the MFC is display limited with the character format used... If it was a graphc capable display (i.e. able to form matrix objects), then we could have a better tuning display on the MFC... oh well..

Back
Top Bottom