What's the "one thing" I should try?

marsonic

Power User
I'm very much enjoying my FM3.

I'm also very much satisfied with my "kitchen sink" preset. I've always been a simple-rig kind of player. And, if anything, I feel like there might be "too much" in it. I've got the switching/FCs worked out in a way that makes sense to me. Basically, I really like it, and I think I'm close to "done".

So...what's one thing you think I should really try? Some effect you love? An amp model you find indispensable? Some cool trick you found?

So I,ve had the fm3 for a while and high res in the cabs for a bit . Never thought the high res was too much different , but last night I tried again and ya ,I think the high res sounds better . I actually found that for me ,it made more of a difference switching to high res playing though my monitors than with head phone on 😎

So I,ve had the fm3 for a while and high res in the cabs for a bit . Never thought the high res was too much different , but last night I tried again and ya ,I think the high res sounds better . I actually found that for me ,it made more of a difference switching to high res playing though my monitors than with head phone on 😎

Amp dynamics for compression.
Definitely using both of those things. But, thank you....different timing, and I would have been thanking you profusely.

Get a couple of expression peddles if you dont already, use the modifiers to control them. I just love the waw block so much fun to try different models. Also really "dig the delay block type "2990 w/Modulation" fav... needless to say the amp and speaker blocks are the cat's meow! I also like to leverage the channels, may take some effort to get use to but when you do they really are great for switching out block types on the fly.

Try the Plex Delay and replace your Delay and CPU heavy Reverb consumer with that ;)
I should get around to this. I did try the multi-tap delay a couple different ways. But...I'm not much of an ambience junky. I don't even really like spring reverb in actual Fenders. I have a pretty basic delay set up for my version of ambience....which is actually what I was doing before fractal. I found that if I ever turned my reverb pedal off, I never bothered to turn it back on. So, when a reverb block spiked the CPU by like 20%, I just deleted it and moved on with my life. What do you like about it?

Modifiers. Try attaching the pitch follower or LFO to different stuff.

I'm using the Envelope Follower (on input 1) to change my (parallel) delay feedback and input level so I can just leave it on all the time. I basically just use the volume control on my guitar to go from clean to dirty. Ducking is part of the solution to not bother turning it off (and not having it become a ridiculous mess), but that envelope follower is very much the icing on the cake.

Get a couple of expression peddles if you dont already, use the modifiers to control them. I just love the waw block so much fun to try different models. Also really "dig the delay block type "2990 w/Modulation" fav... needless to say the amp and speaker blocks are the cat's meow! I also like to leverage the channels, may take some effort to get use to but when you do they really are great for switching out block types on the fly.

I have a cheap expression pedal, which I set up as an auto-engage wah. I want to get a better one probably with a spring at some point, but it's already my favorite "wah". 2290 is good...so far, I prefer the DM-2 model. But, I went through a pile of delay pedals before I found my real DM-2s, and the fractal version does everything I like about it...and obviously more (at least without breaking out a soldering iron).

TRY THIS : CHICKENPICKS + PLEX DELAYS

Your into was hilarious. The last thing I need in my life is more picks. I think I have like 200. Obviously not one each of 200 different ones, but still...

I should get around to this. I did try the multi-tap delay a couple different ways. But...I'm not much of an ambience junky. I don't even really like spring reverb in actual Fenders. I have a pretty basic delay set up for my version of ambience....which is actually what I was doing before fractal. I found that if I ever turned my reverb pedal off, I never bothered to turn it back on. So, when a reverb block spiked the CPU by like 20%, I just deleted it and moved on with my life. What do you like about it?

I'm using the Envelope Follower (on input 1) to change my (parallel) delay feedback and input level so I can just leave it on all the time. I basically just use the volume control on my guitar to go from clean to dirty. Ducking is part of the solution to not bother turning it off (and not having it become a ridiculous mess), but that envelope follower is very much the icing on the cake.

I have a cheap expression pedal, which I set up as an auto-engage wah. I want to get a better one probably with a spring at some point, but it's already my favorite "wah". 2290 is good...so far, I prefer the DM-2 model. But, I went through a pile of delay pedals before I found my real DM-2s, and the fractal version does everything I like about it...and obviously more (at least without breaking out a soldering iron).

Your into was hilarious. The last thing I need in my life is more picks. I think I have like 200. Obviously not one each of 200 different ones, but still...
Thanks a lot man, really appreciated !
Only the Plex Delays block was used, no other Delays & Verbs :)

I have a cheap expression pedal, which I set up as an auto-engage wah. I want to get a better one probably with a spring at some point, but it's already my favorite "wah".

You can use rubber bands to turn your exp pedal into a spring loaded pedal. I converted an old crybaby. Love it. Auto engage is awesome. I wrap the rubber bands to hold it heel down. Saw a video on the tube, a guy was cutting up inner tubes and using those. I tried that and they just broke on me after a short while.

You can use rubber bands to turn your exp pedal into a spring loaded pedal. I converted an old crybaby. Love it. Auto engage is awesome. I wrap the rubber bands to hold it heel down. Saw a video on the tube, a guy was cutting up inner tubes and using those. I tried that and they just broke on me after a short while.

I saw that video too. He at least was a member here. I tried that as well after seeing it.

But, it really is a crummy expression pedal. I might as well just get one with a spring when it breaks. It's fine without it for now...just something I think I'd probably like.

• impedance curves
  • try other IRs!
  • playing in stereo
  • right high and low cuts with 12db filter slopes in the cab block ...
  • eq block right before out 2 (only if you play through a real cab) to remove some stuff in the super highs and lows

• impedance curves
  • try other IRs!
  • playing in stereo
  • right high and low cuts with 12db filter slopes in the cab block ...
  • eq block right before out 2 (only if you play through a real cab) to remove some stuff in the super highs and lows

• Variable impedance curves are actually a large part of why I picked Fractal. I think I've tried all of them.
  • Do you mean other factory IRs, or do you have specific recommendations. That's not really something I want to just sit and demo compared to getting close and using an EQ.
  • I've played in Stereo before, and I actually don't like it. I have this theory that a large part of the reason why so many people have problems with going direct (whether with a modeler or some kind of DI) is that they're using speakers wrong. I really just want (and use) one speaker, behind me, basically on the floor. It interacts with the room the way my brain expects a guitar amp to interact with the room. Apart from being a lot quieter and feeling smaller, I kind of think it's the key. I also think that's why so many people like guitar-focused FRFRs...they more-or-less force you to use them like that.
  • Actually, yeah....I should re-map my performance controls for that. I was doing that with a PEQ block last in line so I make sure to do it after any nonlinearities in blocks after the amp. But, I also moved the cab to right before it...so that gives me 2 more bands in the EQ to use.
  • No, I play through a single "FRFR" (it's actually a relatively cheap 3-way monitor), but I already do that. Why do you recommend it in that specific case when the cab is going to filter out a lot of that anyway?

Fremen's Drones of Arrakis preset, and switch scenes while playing, letting your solo/noodling follow the chord changes.

Back
Top Bottom