Whats the best way to make my patches sound alive? not dull.

Hi Neil.

I'd get into the User IR business if i was you. I have, and the difference is incredible. Since Cliff have chosen all the stock IR's and he's using Event 20/20 monitors (unless he bought a new pair), the stock cabs have similar characters that sounds very good in those near field monitors. I have a pair of those too, and I've had difficulties to get the high mid frequencies to work everywhere.

Now there's a lot of speculation in the statement above, but in my own experience, that could be the reason. I'm using JBL speakers now, and they have a different high mid which make the stock IRs sound... different. Go User IR.

Disclaimer: IMO.

I agree, i've been using the Red Wirez IRs for a few weeks now and it was definitely money well spent. My dirty presets definitely have more life to them now. If you can't find a great sounding combination between the Axe FX Amps and the Red Wirez Cabs then there is something seriously wrong! ;)

Thanks I will look into that, I have not even got that far into the AXE after a month of use, I need to try it with the software editor too (well first) :D

I have some of the RedWirz IR's but I'm having a hard time figuring out what works. Any suggestions to really make your sound come alive and jump out? My main heavy patch is the Soldano.

Also try changing the tone stack type. It's in the advance parameters of the amp block. I found some pretty cool combos that make an awesome Bruta1zzz tone (energyball w/ euro uber tone stack is massive and articulate). It sounds like there's too much gain on the Das Metall clip. Reducing the gain will let it breathe more and have a better attack to the tone (when I use the Das Metall sim I have the gain at about 11:30 maybe a little less or more when using different guitars.) And above all, use your ears. ;)

Get the Redwire ir's also try playing with damp setting.

Hey moab I see your in FT Walton, I am in Milton, maybe we can catch up sometime.

The best tutorial ever!

goodwill559 said:
Here is one method to instantly load and listen to IR's: Please note that Errors can occur with the beta release and you'll just have to reboot the AXE-FX, the application, or your MIDI interface, or all of them, and try again

Make all needed connections.

Open AXE-EDIT

From AXE-EDIT, Click SETTINGS and choose PRESET MANAGER to open the preset manager

From PRESET MANAGER, click SETTINGS, if AUTO-AUDITION is not checked, click it to mark it as checked, if it's already checked, leave it be

From PRESET MANAGER, click SETTINGS, then click WORKSPACES, if AXE-EDIT is not checked, click it to mark it as checked, if it's already checked, leave it be

You should see three WORKSPACES open in the PRESET MANAGER

From the center WORKSPACE, click the CABS tab, then click SOURCE and a navigation window will open

From the navigation window, navigate to the folder RED WIRE IMPULSES

From the navigation window, highlight the folder, then click CHOOSE and everything thing within the sub-folders which is in .syx format will load into the CABS tab

From the right WORKSPACE, click LOAD, then LOAD BANK

Allow the Dump to complete

From the right WORKSPACE, right click the preset you want to use for auditioning IR's, one that uses USER CAB and click EDIT (I suggest creating a patch with a simple, minimal signal path such as just amp and cab for auditioning)

From the center WORKSPACE, click any IR you want to hear, you will see activity in the status bar, and as it hits 100%, your AXE-FX MIDI IN light will flash,

You will also notice that the right WORKSPACE now displays the USER CAB SLOTS (They should appear empty even if you have loaded IR's into slots from a previous session. They only register what you have loaded in the present session.)

The IR is loaded into USER CAB slot 1 of the AXE-FX unit and voila,

Click another IR from the list and boom, it's loaded for you to audition

When you find a cab IR you want to save, From the center WORKSPACE, click and drag that IR into a user slot (I would suggest avoiding SLOT 1)

Later, you can choose that IR by choosing the appropriate USER CAB slot. Make notes as to what is where!

moab said:
Also try changing the tone stack type. It's in the advance parameters of the amp block. I found some pretty cool combos that make an awesome Bruta1zzz tone (energyball w/ euro uber tone stack is massive and articulate). It sounds like there's too much gain on the Das Metall clip. Reducing the gain will let it breathe more and have a better attack to the tone (when I use the Das Metall sim I have the gain at about 11:30 maybe a little less or more when using different guitars.) And above all, use your ears. ;)
Thanks I will try that, oh and the gain is on 3.5 :D

I tried the trick above also and it sounds good, but I still need to bring the sound out a bit, it sounds a bit lifeless and flat, also distant (and I use plenty of mids).

Back
Top Bottom