Whats the best way to increase gain on a single amp with a controller

Bojangles

Experienced
Whats the best way to increase gain on a single amp with a controller on say a suhr badger or an amp without an overdrive

i.e. im trying to go from low gain to high gain with a controller, the caveat is it has to be a single amp, and not blending 2 amps together ( as this is already a dual amp patch)

would it be a combination of say.. the input drive and reducing input trim , or input drive and reducing the level, or some other black magic?

yeah x/y are fine, and are being used already, however, im just wondering what the best way is to increase the gain a single amp with a controller

ie increasing gain will add volume so something needs to decrease at the same time and i'm just wondering what that should be, input trim or level or something

i mean, there a few different things that can add gain, but to some degree, depending on the amp, it will def add volume. scene controllers would probably get you there.

Ahh thanks for your reply, however i think i was not concise enough with explaining what i'm trying to achieve

When i say controller i mean expression pedal,

so i'm trying to perform a gain increase (single amp) with an expression pedal

when increasing the gain, it increases the volume, so im looking at taming the volume increase with an inverse decrees in another parameter

so my question (i guess) is, what is the most appropriate parameter to help decrees the volume

im guessing its probably the level parameter

You could just attach the input gain to your ext controller to increase the gain when going from heel to toe, while also attaching the master volume or level to the same controller, but set it up in the opposite direction in the modifier screen so the volume decreases and balances out as you increase the gain. Using the master volume may affect the tone though, so the level control is probably better. Just play around with where you want the min/max values so you end up with the same overall level when the gain is increased.

ie increasing gain will add volume so something needs to decrease at the same time and i'm just wondering what that should be, input trim or level or something

I do this using an expression pedal;
- set up a controller on the amp's input gain, set your Min and Max gain values, leave default Start = 0%, End = 100% values.
- go to the amp's output, set it to use the same controller, set your Min and Max output level values, on this one change Start = 100%, End = 0%

I use this setup on a few tunes and it works well.

Another great trick is just dial in the amp as high gain as you want it then just use the volume knob on your guitar to clean it up.

Another approach would be to use a drive pedal, use it like stomp, or with scenes.

You could also just copy the preset and modify then 2nd one to what you want, then simply change presets.

I'm sure there are other methods as well.

ok thanks guys, so it looks like people are using the amps output (level) to do the decreasing and not so much the input trim

Also guessing in regards to no linear volume increase from the gain, your just fiddling around with the taper or the start end of the controller settings to get the levels consistent

ok thanks guys, so it looks like people are using the amps output (level) to do the decreasing and not so much the input trim

Also guessing in regards to no linear volume increase from the gain, your just fiddling around with the taper or the start end of the controller settings to get the levels consistent

Well using the input trim would also lower the gain so it'd be counterintuitive to what you're trying to achieve, that's why output level is the way to go as it won't affect anything else.

Yes, you just have to play around with those settings until you have the smooth transition you're looking for.

You could set up a drive block before the amp. You can either use an expression pedal to turn it on or off, or you can use it to control the gain on the drive. Seems from my experience that this wont effect the volume as much as the gain on the amp will.

Back
Top Bottom