What's everyone using for their lead tones?

zacbnjmn

Just wondering what everyone is using for their lead tones? I just got myself an Axe FX II Mark II I've re-created my old tube amp that I'm getting rid of with the JVM amp sim and it screams. Some bands I like have been using the Solo 100 I think, but I'm curious to know what everyone on the forums is using :)

So many to choose from, depending on what you like. Personally I am using the Triptik Modern and the ODS HRM Lead Mid in my patches... But there are some really good options in there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a lot of different amp sims setup with an I/A attached to the input trim and or the boost function to get a lead tone or maybe a drive in front of a amp sim etc. It really just depends on what I'm going after. It's like asking what's your favorite color, you're going to get a lot of different answers... Maybe if you narrow it down to the type of music you're playing it might make it a little easier.

I have 50 presets for the cover band I am in and I use a different combination for every song. I keep telling myself I am going to pick a couple of my favorites and stick to them, but I am having too much fun. Otherwise it is like dating Mystique and having her only change into Jennifer Lawrence. Sure that would still be great,but if you have the power...

My go to amp for leads is the USA LEAD with the 808 drive block in front of it. I also switch the tubes in the USA LEAD from 6L6 to EL34.

Another amp that I've been using for leads lately is the DIZZY V4 SLVR 4 with the 4x12 1960B T75 (RW) cab.

I use a 5 band passive GEQ at the end of my chain for lead boost. It has an upside down smile shape to boost mids and cut high and low (nothing drastic). This takes a nice rhythm crunch tone to a smoother singing lead tone with 1-2 db volume boost. Just helps it cut better. This works for pretty much every amp sim I've tried, so therefore, I use em all LOL. In all my presets, scene 7 activates lead GEQ/Delay without drive (so it's just amp and highly dynamic with volume control) and scene 8 activates lead GEQ/Delay/Drive if I need to kick it over the top. I honestly don't know how we ever survived without scenes :)

Reactions: yek
I've been using the ODS models for my lead preset for quite some time now (I forget exactly which variant at this time; not near my AFX at the moment). I like the ODS as it's articulate even when piling on the gain; you get a great 'singing' tone that is very aggressive in the attack (which I like).

Those amps have an additional gain control (Overdrive) in the AFX so each variant has many tones, textures, and feels which are revealed by playing with the Drive/Overdrive/Master controls.

Sometimes I just boost my clean/crunchy presets with a PEQ block for a lead boost; I love using EQ for an 'overdrive pedal'. You can perfectly tune the EQ to go from a rhythm tone to a lead tone to hit an already dialed in amp harder. I don't use the Drive block for that purpose; I find using an EQ to tune the frequencies and dial in the mount of overdrive/boost vs a Drive pedal is more transparent easier, and quicker.

I did some recording over the holidays and used the Atomica High for my lead tracks; while reamping and trying out several amps I found a recording tone I liked instantly when using that amp which worked for the project and went with that one.

Last edited:
Ordered my first Ax Fx today. I can't wait for this. Can you 'time' effects/scene changes for specified durations ahead of time for during live playing of a song, or is a midi foot controller mandatory for this?

Fell in love with the Buttery preset when I got my XL (about 2 years ago). Tweak a little...and always looking for delay/reverb dream. But surprised I've never seen it mentioned before. Curious...

Currently I'm using the Bogner Ecstacy Red for pretty much everything. Even with higher amounts of gain, I can flip to the neck pickup in split coil mode and roll the volume back and get a beautiful clean then bump up the volume a bit and get it to sing for days for neck leads.. or throw it to the bridge pickup and get very heavy riffage. Also using it with Cab Pack 9 with E906B2 cab if I remember correctly. Also use the Shiva clean and Lead channels a bit with the same cab. I was rebuilding patches from scratch and have been hung up on those since official FW19 was released, so I haven't even cared to try other amps at the moment lol.:lol

Edit: I forgot to add that I also use a touch of reverb and delay. Occasionally a wah.. that is all. Straight forward and simple. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom