Whats bigger: ipad to ipad2 or axe-fx to axe-fx 2?

Stayfree Maxi Pad Regulars to StayFree Maxi Pad Jumbos are really quite an adjustment and takes some getting used to!!!

Last edited:
Considering the iPad2 is thinner than the iPad and the Axe to Axe II size is the same I don't think either one is bigger.

Equation

Here's an equation then: (ipad2-ipad1)/ipad1 g.t. or l.t. (axefx2-axefx)/axefx.

Its a good question! As an owner of an ipad1, I didn't feel compelled to buy an ipad2. The upgrade was too incremental.

So ... is the normalized delta between the old ultra and the new one more on the tweak side, or is it more on the astonishing side. My ultra is sounding so good after 11.0, its just hard to imagine a reaction like 'oh my god, get the checkbook!'. But I dont discount the possibility - in fact I welcome it. But I'd have to be absolutely floored by 'The 2'.

S.P. - you are in the perfect position to analyze the above equation.

Bear in mind 'TheScientist' that some of the compelling upgrades to the AxeII aren't just in the sound quality. For instance, I'm pretty stoked by the 50 user cabs, the USB and the ethernet MFC port.

That being said, I also would love to be surprised by just how much better the AxeII sounds - but I agree that it's hard to imagine something sounding drastically better than the Ultra. Considering the fact that with the Ultra I can dial some tones that are pretty damn close to the original, I'm guessing that when it comes to practical application of the 'sound quality' upgrades, the II is just easier / quicker to dial... Just my guess as to what those upgrades will mean to the end user.

On the one hand, I'd stand to lose a larger percentage of my initial cost selling my iPad than my Ultra.

On the other hand, I have greater GAS pangs for an AFX2 than I do for an iPad2.

Here's an equation then: (ipad2-ipad1)/ipad1 g.t. or l.t. (axefx2-axefx)/axefx.

Its a good question! As an owner of an ipad1, I didn't feel compelled to buy an ipad2. The upgrade was too incremental.

Well, do you feel compelled to buy an AxeFX II, or is the upgrade too incremental? ;)

Here's my take:

The ipad is awesome. The ipad ii is a little bit more awesome.

The AxeFX is awesome. The AxeFX II is a whole lot more awesome.

So, if we treat the ipad and AxeFX as equals in that they are both 'awesome', we're left with:

'a bit more awesome' gt/lt 'a whole lot more awesome'

I would think 'lt' is the correct operand here meaning the AxeFX II possesses more awesomeness relative to the AxeFX then the ipad 2 does to the ipad.

But I'm no mathematician. ;)

Technically, the iPad 2 benchmarks at something like 9 times faster than the 1st gen which makes the jump measurably bigger than the axe to axe 2 jump which doubles processing power.

Technically, the iPad 2 benchmarks at something like 9 times faster than the 1st gen which makes the jump measurably bigger than the axe to axe 2 jump which doubles processing power.

Well, the CPU is twice as powerful (from the A4 to the A5). It's the GPU part of the chip that's 9 times more powerful.

But we all know CPU power isn't the final answer to how much better something is.

Off topic - That's a real nice looking black lab you have there aleclee! Looks like a real sweetheart.
Thanks! Not a Lab (we think he was a border collie/blue heeler mix) -- I selected his pic as my avatar a few weeks ago after putting him down. :(

Axe FX II Hands Down

I had an Ipad I, I have an Ipad II. The Ipad II allows me to run Garage Band effectively which the Ipad I didn't. There's also a camera. Ok. I'm not a gamer, so the big video upgrade is lost on me. Ipad 1 was fast. Ipad II is fast. Ipad III will be here soon enough as will Ipad IV. There might be an Ipad V before there's an Axe FX III.

Still it boils down to what you want to do. If Facetime matters, Ipad II is huge. I don't have an Axe FX II, but will ASAP. If the power amp redo is all that's it's supposed to be, that'll change my life way more than Ipad II. I do love Garage Band, but it's still a quick sketch pad more than full composition tool to me and it has no real editing.

My question is whether the Axe USB will work with the Ipad. It says it doesn't take drivers, but that some piece of software gets loaded into the Axe from the computer. That wasn't clear to me. It would be amazing to have the Axe recordable to Ipad. Also would be super cool to tweak Axe from Ipad in real time. We'll see soon enough.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom