Whats a not so expensive but good Power Amp?

autumn09

Hi all after a power amp for a Orange 4x12. WIll be running my Ultra through...
Been looking any good suggestions idealy i would luv the Fryetty.. any others?

?

Are you looking for solidstate or tube and what price range is not so expensive? I like my Engl poweramp but they are not on the cheap side, would probably order a poweramp from Carvin if I was looking for solidstate, I did not care for the ART amps too much except the price but you get what you pay for most times.

How much are you looking to spend?
If you want to spend less than $200, I would try the ART SLA or Tubeworks MosValve.
I actually liked the ART a little bit better (more head room), but I am able to get a great tone out of either.
If you want tube, the Carvin TS100 seems to be well liked on the board (and probably the least expensive Tube option)

Depending on how much power you need, I'm using the Art SLA-1 with a THD 212 cab and in combination with the FOH, I have plenty of oomph. Very reasonable in price,got it from Guitar Center. Also the SLA-1 vs. the SLA2 in weight is significantly different.

Tubeworks MosValve.

If your cab is wired for 4-ohms, this is a great option. It can handle 8 ohms no problem, but obviously won't give you full power (which is 80W/ch).

I just sold mine (an 1160) because I got a powered speaker, but it went for $200 shipped on eBay, so they are very affordable.

Again price range? Cheap is relative. For instance over in the UK, the Art SLA1 is around £240 and Id call that cheap. The Fryette 2:50:2 is £1100 and that isnt. the Matrix GT800FX is quite a bit better than the Art and is £440. Thats still quite cheap IMO. however, due to exchange rate and shipping the Arts and Fryettes are cheaper in the US than here - while the Matrix is more expensive. i believe it works out at around $600. Id go for that IF its in you definition of cheap.

Again price range? Cheap is relative. For instance over in the UK, the Art SLA1 is around £240 and Id call that cheap. The Fryette 2:50:2 is £1100 and that isnt. the Matrix GT800FX is quite a bit better than the Art and is £440. Thats still quite cheap IMO. however, due to exchange rate and shipping the Arts and Fryettes are cheaper in the US than here - while the Matrix is more expensive. i believe it works out at around $600. Id go for that IF its in you definition of cheap.

I'm really interested in checking out that Matrix amp.

$600 USD isn't too bad for what that amp puts out, and if the quality of the sound is as good as you guys have been describing it...it's completely worth the $.

Bank on the 'inexpensive' topic again....the ART SLA2 can be purchased on the used market in the US for around $200. So it's a great amp to start with, for the price.

I'm really interested in checking out that Matrix amp.

$600 USD isn't too bad for what that amp puts out, and if the quality of the sound is as good as you guys have been describing it...it's completely worth the $.

BBN, bullseye!!!!

If you want to do this. do it now:
- Better exchange rate $\£ then last weeks
- Before the second batch is finished you get £50 of the normal price of £490
- Check also if, as an non EU member, you have to pay the 20% VAT. If not an extra 20% in the pocket.

Just some financial advice

Regards

If mono will suffice, how about Atomic reactor monoblock. List price in EU 599€. As usual, US price are much lower.

Figured I'd throw these in too... If you're using a guitar cab and don't need bone crushing volume, they works better than you'd think:

EHX.com | 44 Magnum - Power Amp | Electro-Harmonix

EHX.com | 22 Caliber - Power Amp | Electro-Harmonix

I've also done a few club shows using one of those 2x100W Tripath Class-D amplifier boards with a 150W 19V laptop power supply- not quite as user friendly as the EH amps but dirt cheap and it sounds great through a guitar cabinet if you don't need the extreme volume, which is not to say they don't get loud but they don't get loud like a 100W amp head. Not suitable for FRFR unless you're playing at reduced volume because they will take on a bit of grain/grit as you get louder.

What's a not so expensive but good power amp?

Hi all,

This is my first post in the forum. Just got my AxeFx2 on Wednesday. Haven't had a chance to plug in yet because I haven't yet received the rest of my new rig. Here's what I ordered:

Rack: (Gator 6 space rack)
AxeFx2
Rocktron Velocity 300 (power amp)
Fuhrman power conditioner (rack power strip, surge protector, line conditioner)
Peterson rack strobe tuner

Speaker cab:
Mesa Boogie 2x12" 3/4 closed cab w/ two C90 speakers

I chose the Rocktron power amp after researching power amps for a while. I wanted clean, clear power...since I'm using the Fractal preamp FX processor to shape my sound, I didn't necessarily want or need the tube sound. Just reliable, clean power. I read pretty much nothing but stellar remarks about the Velocity 300. Going into an 8 ohm load, it's 75 watts mono or 150 watts bridged. The Mesa cabinet has two speakers (at 8 ohms) - each speaker can handle up to 90 watts. So the cabinet & power amp are a good match up.

Glad to be a member of this forum!

Kevin Smith
Bethel Park, PA

I currently have an old MosValve that I'm using with my Ultra. Sounds pretty dern good to me. For my II, when I get it, I'm going with the 1U Carvin. A little under powered maybe but it would be more of a reference amp into a cab, most likely a v30 loaded Marshall cab in stereo so I think it will be fine. It's light, small enough to keep me in a 4U case so I think it will be perfect for me.

The Tubeworks stuff is nice for SS, I used to use it with Rocktron Pirahna and Marshall JMP-1 preamps and it was always nice and punchy. I'm find the same holds true with my Ultra and like it better than the power stage of a couple of my tube heads.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom