What's a good solution for converting from 48KHz to 44.1KHz?

thinkpad20

Inspired
I've spent the last year or so only recording the Axe-FX analog. Now I want to use the S/PDIF on the Axe-FX. The interface I have (M-Audio FastTrack Pro) can support 48 and I'm recording just fine... but all of my old stuff, and all of my MP3s, are at 44.1, as is the drum sampling software I use, etc, etc... so as opposed to converting everything, one at a time, to 48KHz, is there a way to (I don't know exactly what the term would be) convert the sample rate to 44.1 after the interface, so that it still records and plays back at 44.1? I know the Axe-FX can't change it's internal clock, for whatever reason Cliff decided it that way :\, but presumably it can be altered by software? Or something - I know very little about what I'm talking about :lol:

I use REAPER as my DAW by the way, so maybe it can do it internally - if you know how, that would be great!

OK for anyone interested, I think I figured it out...

Here's what I did: I set the FastTrack Pro to run at 48K in the control panel, then I made a project in REAPER and under the project settings (Alt+Enter) I set a project sample rate of 44.1KHz. Lastly in the Device settings under preferences (control+P), where I have the "ASIO" input chosen, I unchecked the box to "request sample rate" but checked the box "allow projects to override device sample rate."

Seems that everything is fine. Haven't tested it extensively but I'm recording files (via S/PDIF input) at 48000Hz playing simultaneously with files (such as an MP3 imported as a test) that are at 44.1K, no sync issues and no dropouts. Like I said I haven't tested it extensively; still need to try recording with some of my old project files to make sure and also need to find out about the drum files, if they're pitchshifted or not. One problem that seems to appear occasionally is that the unit will randomly stop responding and I need to restart it. This seems to occur when I'm running Reaper simultaneously with running audio in another program, but it's not consistent and I don't know if there's another cause behind it, could just be a unit malfunction; it is cheap after all.

But overall I'm encouraged, at least about the ability to use S/PDIF with the Axe-FX while still running at 44.1K.

For those who are aren't using Reaper, I dunno what settings to check, but I assume it's along somewhat similar lines.

Obviously if this breaks down again I'll be back to wondering WTF... :lol:

Normally there is no simple way to do what you want to do, without some expensive device like the TC.
I remember reading in the Sonar instrunction manual that you have to export each wav file separately at the new sample rate, then create a new project using that sample rate, then import all of them. That's not worth doing the vast majority of the time. Mixing sample rates in a single project is also prone to malfunctions and sound glitches.

If I were you, I'd not use the digital out to record the Axe-Fx on old songs. Just use 48k from now on for new songs. Anyway if you have a pretty good sound interface (not sure what you have), there won't really be an audible difference between the SPDIF and the analog signal. I never use my SPDIF as it's sometimes a headache to align all the digital clocks on all my devices.

This is probably one of the only things I've found not to like about the ax-fx. The 48 khz sample rate. They should have at least offered a switch on the unit to choose. All my work is done at 44.1 so I'm forced to use the analog. Honestly I really don't mind running the analog outputs to a di though. Not really a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom