What's a good FRFR speaker for backline?

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
I'm quite pleased with my monitors.
But I'm looking for a FRFR speaker that I can use as a backline.
My monitors are not suited for that so I need something else.
I've been thinking about the Fratomics but since I don't care for a tube amp powered speaker, they're propably not for me.
Any suggestions?
No QSC's please as I've tried these and they are not as flat sounding as everyone makes them out to be.

Re: FRFR speaker for backline

Everyone is pretty stiff on the FBT Verv 12ma's. Although they are said to be just for monitoring, I would be willing to bet a pair siting behind you would sound pretty good.

I just got a 12ma delivered yesterday. I will be trying it both as a monitor and/or backline soon. I'll post my thoughts. Chris- hope you're doing well!

MisterE said:
No QSC's please as I've tried these and they are not as flat sounding as everyone makes them out to be.

Just out of curiosity, but what have you compared them to that you *know* is flat so you can make this assertion? I only ask because, unless you are measuring their response and just using your ears, you'd have to have a basis for comparison.

I've compared them to my B&W's.
And to some other speakers - LEM, RCF, Mackie...
They sounded like they had a (slight) mid range boost around 1khz.
The LEM's sounded the warmest and closest to my B&W's.
Recently I've read a review about the QSC's and they reached the same conclusion about the 1Khz bump.

MisterE said:
I've compared them to my B&W's.
And to some other speakers - LEM, RCF, Mackie...
They sounded like they had a (slight) mid range boost around 1khz.
The LEM's sounded the warmest and closest to my B&W's.
Recently I've read a review about the QSC's and they reached the same conclusion about the 1Khz bump.
I assume the 1Khz bump you've mentioned is in the K series. I wonder if it's reasonable to dial that out using the AxeFX output EQ. Sometimes a small EQ adjustment is all it takes. Sometimes the "small" adjustment is more complex and quite elusive.

I too am looking for a flat FRFR solution, and will watch this thread with interest. I have been unable to get my current FRFR solution close enough to flat to satisfy my ears.

Terry.

I assume the 1Khz bump you've mentioned is in the K series
Nope, The HPR122i
wonder if it's reasonable to dial that out using the AxeFX output EQ
Don't want to do that since that would alter the sound to FOH
I want it as flat as possible.

TonyGring said:
I just got a 12ma delivered yesterday. I will be trying it both as a monitor and/or backline soon. I'll post my thoughts. Chris- hope you're doing well!

Hey Tony things are going well I'm back in Cali. How's that new FBT? seams everyone is getting their new toy's this week.

MisterE said:
I'm quite pleased with my monitors.
But I'm looking for a FRFR speaker that I can use as a backline.
My monitors are not suited for that so I need something else.
I've been thinking about the Fratomics but since I don't care for a tube amp powered speaker, they're propably not for me.
Any suggestions?
fbt 12ma. period.

Back
Top Bottom