What will be Fractal's next product?

It's going to be some mounting hardware.

A kit to mount an AxeII inside of any amp so that certain famous guitarists don't blow their big endorsement deals!

Come on guys. Don't you get it?

It is a game called "Axe Charades" it came out when this thread started and you are playing it now.

Following the large success that is Axe FX edit, I think it's pretty clear we will see a dongle-based vst software.

OK, I've heard it all from you guys...here's my 2 cents; Fractal is clearly at the high end of digital processing in terms of performance and affordability. From anyone's point of view, there is little to be learned from the competition except possibly from Roland. As an ex-VG-99 user, I realized the power of employing a "divided pickup", such as the GK-3. Processing each string independently with an ADSP-TS202S (Tiger Sharc) processor would be a quantum leap above what Roland accomplished. Although I still have a high regard for the VG-99, I think the concept was not well matched to the DSP hardware specified in the design. Roland not only fell short of excellence, but disappointed the users by "dropping the ball" in terms of firmware and hardware upgrades (this applies to the FC-300 companion as well). At the risk of sounding like one of Roland's worst critics, The VG-99 could, in no uncertain terms, be a considered a failure for Rock guitarist seeking that "vintage" sound. My dreams of the next Fractal AXE FX product would be; Add another Tiger Sharc processor to facilitate an add-on pick-up (similar to the GK-3) based on the best available technology, add a third output channel with a selectable low pass filter, add a USB memory stick port (on the front panel). Maybe give us a larger, color, front panel display. And..(unrelated), improve the overall design of the MFC-101. Any minor items not worth mentioning are nothing more than personal preference (you can never have it ALL). I will say this: Whatever the guys at Fractal come up with next is sure to please us and have us digging in our pockets for the cash. (As for you guys complaining about the price...go back to the garage!)

Just saw this great interview from iGuitarMag and Cliff is such a nice guy, but he mentions some things that are key for deducing pretty much what the future products will go, at least some of them!

GUITAR INTERACTIVE MAGAZINE ISSUE 14: Feature - LA Amp Show 2012 'Cliff Chase of Fractal Audio'

Humm... At 7:00 they start talking about different things or products. To quote Cliff "If anyone thinks about it it's pretty obvious what we got to do next... you know what the price point is on these things"

Last edited:
Humm... At 7:00 they start talking about different things or products. To quote Cliff "If anyone thinks about it it's pretty obvious what we got to next... you know what the price point is on these things"

I can think of three "obvious" things:

1. Cheaper less capable AxeFX (AxeFX II Mini)... maybe in the form of a footpedal
2. Software plugin that's less capable than the AxeFX
3. Sell the company to a bigger company and mass produce the product, reduce the pricing, and rely on the new market channel to sell more units.

I think it's #1...

#2 is a marketing issue since the plugin market is nearly saturated and I'd guess the majority of current AxeFXII users bought it BECAUSE there's a hardware component. Why buy AxeFX plugin when you can buy GuitarRig or Amplitube or... yeah, yeah, I'm sure AxeFX plugin would sound better but I'm sure it would cost more. #3 is a sure way for Fractal to cash in but it could likely destroy the product. Too often these acquisitions start out well but then the mastermind behind the original company increasingly becomes frustrated and leaves or is pushed out.

As I've mentioned before, I'd personally like to have a hardware box without any physical interface or io (except maybe a connection for the MFC) that's fronted by a VST plugin/standalone app such as the forthcoming AxeEdit. I have no need for the front panel or IO other than spdif but I'd gladly use USB only if it could be aggregated with several devices. I'd welcome a much smaller box (like a shallow 1U or better yet 1U half rack). That way I could pack 4 or more of them in a mobile rig (not just for Guitar use). This is the UA approach and it's great b/c it doesn't sacrifice the computer's CPU and acts as a large dongle based copy protection which software alone can't accomplish. I think the market is pretty big for this but I kind of doubt this would lower the price enough. More money would have to go into the app and usb (or whatever connection is used) testing. It's not like today where if usb and/or AxeEdit doesn't work for you, you can fall back to spdif or analog and the front panel. Now that I think of it, maybe #3 is plausible if the acquiring company is UAudio. Nah, Fractal should just do this on their own.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371316267.078860.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371316289.894705.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371316194.795771.jpg

Small truly portable fractal products like this is what I'm hoping for and makes more sense! Small number of amps, cabs, and effects! And very simple limited Controll is would be great and is a direction fractal should strongly consider going. As business man it's a very smart thing to do! IT CAN BE DONE without sacrificing quality of sound!!!!!! but it's going to cost a bit more then the other similar products.

Gotta be a floor unit,wouldn't make sense to do effects only, probably fewer amp models,but with selectable option to put the models in you want, fewer more basic effects options!

I apologize in advance if this has been discused before. Did read most but maybe not all of the thread(s) on this topic. I have a very selfish desire for a "less expensive" Axe-II type unit, but would not want to sacrifice any sound quality for it. Is why I bought one in the first place.

In a nutshell, I would love to have a backup unit for my current rig but cannot justify two Axe-II's. If there were a Standalone mini MFC type unit (say 2/3 the switches or so) that also contained fixed memory and no editing capabilites (idea is you could download say 10 patches from your AXE or from Axe-Change but you couldn't change them on the unit, or maybe really limited editing options like more or less drive or delay but no routing changes), it could serve as a backup for me in a bind and maybe give some entry pricing opportunities to the Axe world for those who can't get the Axe-II and the MFC? Probably not really, as just to get the current sound capability requires the two DSP chips, and that plus any heavy duty type foot controller might already put the price out of "affordable" whatever that really means.

I am thrilled with what I have and rely on it just about every weekend, but I am not a working player so my spending is hobby, not livelihood. I continue to live under the shadow that if something happens (think lightning strike or bad power spike) I have no alternative. Would probably have to run to Guitar Center and by a POD just until my Axe was repaired. That's $500 wasted...

Maybe Fractal could set up a "Fractal Rental" division! Rent an Axe-II, $100 a day, same day shipping! Then if people really want to test drive, they can rent one! Sell 'em after a year at some discount...

Man, it is so easy to spend someone else's money!

I apologize in advance if this has been discused before. Did read most but maybe not all of the thread(s) on this topic. I have a very selfish desire for a "less expensive" Axe-II type unit, but would not want to sacrifice any sound quality for it. Is why I bought one in the first place.

In a nutshell, I would love to have a backup unit for my current rig but cannot justify two Axe-II's. If there were a Standalone mini MFC type unit (say 2/3 the switches or so) that also contained fixed memory and no editing capabilites (idea is you could download say 10 patches from your AXE or from Axe-Change but you couldn't change them on the unit, or maybe really limited editing options like more or less drive or delay but no routing changes), it could serve as a backup for me in a bind and maybe give some entry pricing opportunities to the Axe world for those who can't get the Axe-II and the MFC? Probably not really, as just to get the current sound capability requires the two DSP chips, and that plus any heavy duty type foot controller might already put the price out of "affordable" whatever that really means.

I am thrilled with what I have and rely on it just about every weekend, but I am not a working player so my spending is hobby, not livelihood. I continue to live under the shadow that if something happens (think lightning strike or bad power spike) I have no alternative. Would probably have to run to Guitar Center and by a POD just until my Axe was repaired. That's $500 wasted...

Maybe Fractal could set up a "Fractal Rental" division! Rent an Axe-II, $100 a day, same day shipping! Then if people really want to test drive, they can rent one! Sell 'em after a year at some discount...

Man, it is so easy to spend someone else's money!

I valid point and I agree!

I can think of three "obvious" things:

1. Cheaper less capable AxeFX (AxeFX II Mini)... maybe in the form of a footpedal
2. Software plugin that's less capable than the AxeFX
3. Sell the company to a bigger company and mass produce the product, reduce the pricing, and rely on the new market channel to sell more units.

I think it's #1...

#2 is a marketing issue since the plugin market is nearly saturated and I'd guess the majority of current AxeFXII users bought it BECAUSE there's a hardware component. Why buy AxeFX plugin when you can buy GuitarRig or Amplitube or... yeah, yeah, I'm sure AxeFX plugin would sound better but I'm sure it would cost more. #3 is a sure way for Fractal to cash in but it could likely destroy the product. Too often these acquisitions start out well but then the mastermind behind the original company increasingly becomes frustrated and leaves or is pushed out.

Senario #1 would make sense but Cliff has stated in the past that FAS did not want to compete in the all in one floor board market. Unless his position on this has changed it doesn't seem likely that FAS would pursue it but it has been a few years sense I read that so that perspective could have changed.

As to the plugin market I would agree with your statement it is rather over done. It could also compromise the coding that Cliff has come up with so that seems even less likely to happen.

Senario #3 I couldn't answer as I don't personally know Cliff or his intentions for FAS. Some would arguably say that a true entrepreneur will usually start a business, build it to a point of success and then sell it off to start something new. Given Cliffs history with music and his love of the guitar and the gear I would have a hard time thinking he would do such a thing to FAS.

FAS has definitely put their mark upon the modeling industry and taken it to the next level by a long shot. I personally would hope that whatever FAS has next in their pipeline is met with great success and would love to hear about anything else that they are thinking about coming up with.

I think He has basically all but given the answer in that interview .

Quality and price point i am sure are the 2 things they will work on

I think the MFC and design would definitely figure into it if its a floor model , as those suppliers are set up and the current MFC design works great

People have asked for a mini MFC controller -- This could address them
Put in 10 or 12 models or allow patches to be downloaded from Axe to new unit --Current customers would be intrsted plus it gains new fans.
Make a button like the L6 .Digitech etc ,that allows EFFECTS ONLY so all the processing power goes there and allows more elaborate fx chains ,with the amp and cab out of the equation
multiple setting like that would appeal to all

you want to use a tube preamp ,turn off the amp but you can still use fx and cab IRs
you want to use your Diezel stack ,turn off the amp and cab models use effects only

with this you would essentially have a floor unit fx only, a small midi controller, a two notes torpedo, and an AXE 2 lite
You would basically hit every market segment..

price 1400-1500

I am probably dead wrong but that my wish

I bought the Axe II right after it came out. Way back then someone I talked to on the phone at Fractal told me they were working on an effects only floor unit.
If that is still true, I wonder if you will be able to use that new floor unit to control an Axe FXII, instead of having to buy an MFC-101.

I also wonder if you could use the effects in the effects only floor unit together with the Axe FXII, fixing some of the CPU limitations you run into now with the Axe FXII.
Makes me wonder if I should hold off on buying the MFC-101.

Eventide has a new pedal called the H9 that is interesting, and shows some possibilities for the future.
Eventide H9 Pedal Quick Demo and Walkthrough - YouTube

Fractal probably won't do this but I'd like to see a complete Axe FXII (or an effects only version) inside a floor unit similar to the MFC-101, but with a minimum of 2 (or 3) expression pedals included; the ability to assign any button on the floor unit to anything you want to; double the CPU the Axe FXII has now; better quality reverbs; a longer looper.

axe fx 2: 1 dsp for amps/cabs, 1 dsp for effects

axe fx mini: 1 dsp, selectable amp/cab OR effects option
cannot combine effects with amps etc.

the way i see it, having less amps in the axe fx mini's memorybank will not decrease manufacturing cost, however decreasing processing power will.

one thing that im not sure about, if its an effects only unit, does "effects" include all the various EQ and filter blocks? i hope so!

Back
Top Bottom