What was the trick for faster boot up?

Chris Hurley

Power User
I seem to recall reading that there was a way to make for a faster startup time on the axefx 3. I can't for the life of me find it. Does anybody remember?

Was it somehow deleting cabs or clearing presets?

Boot to empty preset is a bit faster - always wonder though, how this is an issue for anyone - a few extra seconds when Axefx is booted for the day/session/gig whatever - how can it possibly matter?
God I was thinking the same thing.
Just timed mine. 19 sec. I only have factory presets and a few altered ones, and was not connected to my computer. Is yours somehow dreadfully slower than that? In the time mine boots, I grab my guitar, plug it in, grab the headphones (you may not), grab a pick, and the Axe is ready.

Simple question guys... Don't have to bust my chops 100 times. Yes, I'd like it to boot fast. I'm glad you like waiting on yours. :)
IF the presets were in ROM the system could boot almost instantly. IF there were only Factory Presets and only Fractal could add additional ones and the user couldn't create their own, the system could boot almost instantly because the system could know ahead of time how many there were and what blocks were used. When the users can create their own, the system needs to scan and do sanity checks to load them into memory for fast access, and that's why there's a waiting during startup. The system has to cache everything because it never knows what the user wants to jump to next.

It can only run through the presets so fast because the CPU has limited bandwidth and the access time for the flash or EEProm has limited read bandwidth, so the more presets there are the longer it takes. And that's why it boots faster if you have fewer presets.

The FM3 and FX3 are computers, and they boot MUCH faster than a general purpose computer, even one with everything in an SSD, so boot up times are relative, and you're in control and can balance the convenience of fast boot up speed against that of having factory and personal presets easily accessible.

The overhead for loading the OS in the modeler is a constant and you'll never get rid of that. That period when the display is scrolling text output is the OS loading. Once the normal display starts and the progress bar begins moving it's scanning presets.

On my FX3 I get through the OS in about 9.5 seconds, then the factory presets plus my own presets load in about 12.5 seconds. With all the presets removed I still have 9.5 seconds to boot, and it's at the normal display and waiting in less than a second, so, yes, there's a marked increase in boot up time.

Last edited:
IF the presets were in ROM the system could boot almost instantly. IF there were only Factory Presets and only Fractal could add additional ones and the user couldn't create their own, the system could boot almost instantly because the system could know ahead of time how many there were and what blocks were used. When the users can create their own, the system needs to scan and do sanity checks to load them into memory for fast access, and that's why there's a waiting during startup. The system has to cache everything because it never knows what the user wants to jump to next.

It can only run through the presets so fast because the CPU has limited bandwidth and the access time for the flash or EEProm has limited read bandwidth, so the more presets there are the longer it takes. And that's why it boots faster if you have fewer presets.

The FM3 and FX3 are computers, and they boot MUCH faster than a general purpose computer, even one with everything in an SSD, so boot up times are relative, and you're in control and can balance the convenience of fast boot up speed against that of having factory and personal presets easily accessible.

The overhead for loading the OS in the modeler is a constant and you'll never get rid of that. That period when the display is scrolling text output is the OS loading. Once the normal display starts and the progress bar begins moving it's scanning presets.

Simple question guys... Don't have to bust my chops 100 times. Yes, I'd like it to boot fast. I'm glad you like waiting on yours. :)
No busting intended, but I have to wait to turn on the Axe until I've taken my guitar out of its case. If I don't, it's live before I can put a strap on me and the guitar and plug in, so plugging in makes ugly noises unless I turn on the tuner to mute them.

Faster boot time would just mean I'd have to wait even longer to turn it on.

Back
Top Bottom