What unit would work better for my setup?

Fowleri

Inspired
Here is a photo. I do like to play games now and then. I have Genelec 8030c studio monitors. I bought them, cause my plan is to buy a fractal unit. At the moment, I'm using a couple of Neural DSP plugins.

Since I'm doing the studio monitor route. I don't think I'd have the space for an Axe FX3 unit and is also very expensive, too overkill for my needs as a bedroom player.

I was thinking a Fractal FM3. I could position it in front of my computer monitor and put the guitar cable under the desk, then buy a better interface as well.

Can Fractal FM3 be connected to interface via SPDIF only?

The PS5 doesn't audio input/output. The sound is transferred via HDMI. My computer monitor has built-in speakers, they suck, but it has a headphone input. I connected my computer monitor to my PC with 3.5mm, and since my speakers are connected to my PC via interface, I'm able to get PS5 sounds through the speakers, but the computer must be on.

The other option is to connect a 3.5mm to 2 XLR to the interface. Right now, I have the Scarlett Solo. It only has 2 XLR inputs which are for the studio monitors. I'd need a new interface that has is own power supply, at least 4 XLR inputs, SPDIF.

whatsapp-image-2023-01-28-at-09-25-16-jpg.115172

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-28 at 09.25.16.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-28 at 09.25.16.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 228
You can rack the Axe FX3 underneath the desk to keep everything tidy. I racked mine using on of these Amazon product ASIN B001YI12A4 Note: you will probably want to use mounting screws approlate for the thickness of your desk, included ones were way too long for my 1 inch thick desk.

Do you have pics of your setup with that rack? My desk is 1.5 but I'm afraid to mess it up lol This is solid wood desk. What screw do you recommend? The axe fx too expensive tbh

I don't know if I'd need that XLR switch tho what's the benefit for my setup? I'm basically looking for a way to get sound from PS5 through my speakers.

One way is with a 3.5mm to 2 XLR to interface, but I would need a new interface which I plan on buying in the future anyway.

axe.jpg

Its a very simple setup. I just used some Phillips pan head 10x3/4 inch machine screws. The shorter screws combined with the thickness of the rack itself gave me plenty of protection from busting through the desk. I did swap out the cage nut screws and washers for black ones for aesthetics. The benefit of the switch is I can switch between multiple sources for my monitors and sub. I don't have a seperate interface though (I just use the built in one on the axe currently). For your PS5 you would probably need to run the hdmi through a reciever which would then give you audio output options.

First off, buy some stands so those Genelecs are actually at ear level.

Otherwise you could probably cram a FM3 in front of the PS5 so it's convenient to use the front panel. Or if you prefer just using FM3-Edit software then put it on the otherside of where the Focusrite is.

Your desk looks similar in size or slightly wider than mine so I don't think mounting the Axe-Fx 3 under the desk works very well. At least on mine I would be hitting my knee on it constantly. I have mine on a side table instead.

First off, buy some stands so those Genelecs are actually at ear level.

Otherwise you could probably cram a FM3 in front of the PS5 so it's convenient to use the front panel. Or if you prefer just using FM3-Edit software then put it on the otherside of where the Focusrite is.

Your desk looks similar in size or slightly wider than mine so I don't think mounting the Axe-Fx 3 under the desk works very well. At least on mine I would be hitting my knee on it constantly. I have mine on a side table instead.

My desk is 72x30

the axe fx 3 is 19" wide, but with a rack it may be 21-22"

It may fit on the right side on the desk and still have sitting space, but is way too big

height is 5"

I think it'd fit but it wouldn't look good plus axe fx is too expensive lol

These speaker have some stands that may work, but the review says has some issues

Last edited:
My desk is 72x30

the axe fx 3 is 19" wide, but with a rack it may be 21-22"

It may fit on the right side on the desk and still have sitting space, but is way too big

height is 5"

I think it'd fit but it wouldn't look good plus axe fx is too expensive lol

These speaker have some stands that may work, but the review says has some issues

You keep saying the Axe FX3 is too expensive. I think you have your answer. The FM9 or FM3 are less costly, but the FM9 isn't a whole lot lower in price at about 500 USD less. The FM3 is much lower cost wise but, you lose the ability for 2 amps and other things. You need to figure out what is most important to you.

You keep saying the Axe FX3 is too expensive. I think you have your answer. The FM9 or FM3 are less costly, but the FM9 isn't a whole lot lower in price at about 500 USD less. The FM3 is much lower cost wise but, you lose the ability for 2 amps and other things. You need to figure out what is most important to you.

What other things? I only play at home. I rarely record and I don’t play live.

The axe fx 3 is $2300 and the fm3 is $999 it went down in price it used to be $1099

The axe fx3 is too bulky and wide. Only way would work is under the desk as I like keeping my computer on desk and speaker including my console. I’ll eventually upgrade to a more powerful computer which occupy more space and the one i have is small in size

Im not recording artist or making album i just want to have fun and enjoy my hobbies

The fm3 will give most i will ever need i figure i can position it under the computer monitor next to audio interface

Back
Top Bottom