What to do when it arrives?

1.jpg

Mine did not come with the USB cable, i am not sure of the official name but it has the one end that is thick and square and the other is the normal USB for the computer

to the point i never even built one for myself. i found some great cleans, esoteric stuff, and lead for rock stuff. i didn't find that chimey edge of breakup rhythm sound but i expected not to, i will try building that this weekend
Pick one of the Fender amp presets. Stick a Drive block in front of the Amp.

Try some of "boost" types: RC Boost, FET Boost, Micro Drive, SDD Drive, Jam Ray, etc...

I also put a light compressor at the start of my chain and have recently been using the JFET type with Compression about 2.7 and Mix around 60%.

man oh man, had such a blast last night. i downloaded FM3 edit (haha, at first i got the axe3 edit and was like OH NO IT DOESN'T WORK) and got it up and running right away, i ran the second cable from the FM3 to my Apollo second input, linked those channels and added a unison neve plug to both. then just had a blast playing thru some presets.

there were quite a few that were wonderful right out of the gate

to the point i never even built one for myself. i found some great cleans, esoteric stuff, and lead for rock stuff. i didn't find that chimey edge of breakup rhythm sound but i expected not to, i will try building that this weekend

i may get carters course as well. does anyone have a link for that? he has a whole section on dialing in that edge of breakup sound.

anyway, man, so happy!
Glad you are digging the FM3!!! Can I ask....how are you connecting it to your apollo? I just picked up an apollo and in process of setting up everything and just wondering how people are connecting. Are you just using the xlr outs on the FM3 into two of the pres on the apollo? Or are you connecting via usb? I know this is basic to a lot of people but Im brand new to home recording and it's a steep learning curve on many counts. Appreciate the help!

New FM3 arriving today. Do I need a non standard USB cable in order to hook this up to my laptop to use FM3 edit? I don’t think the unit comes with that cable and I want to go pick up whatever I’ll need. I see above mention of a “printer type” cable, but I’m curious what the official name for that cable is if I need to buy it. Thanks.
When you buy from G66 Europe than yes USB cable comes along, if US than a USB cable with a type „A“ on one side and type „B“ on the other side (printer usb cable) is needed. Dont buy a too cheap China usb cable it might give you a hard time.

Glad you are digging the FM3!!! Can I ask....how are you connecting it to your apollo? I just picked up an apollo and in process of setting up everything and just wondering how people are connecting. Are you just using the xlr outs on the FM3 into two of the pres on the apollo? Or are you connecting via usb? I know this is basic to a lot of people but Im brand new to home recording and it's a steep learning curve on many counts. Appreciate the help!
Hey

you will love the Apollo and Unison. So i run 2 cables out of the FM3 into the 2 inputs on the back of my apollo MKII. thats it, then in CONSOLE on the UA platform you can LINK the 2 tracks into one and record a single stereo input track but on one track in your DAW.

i usually use the NEVE 1073 UNISON plug because I really like it but you could easily build your own chain that you like. and honestly you could also just run it in with no processing, it sounds great on its own. for me, i have found that little NEVE touch, adds a little depth and goodness to the recording so i do less when I mix.

hope that helps, there is a Youtube video somewhere of a guy with our setup who shows this exact setup and what he does and sound differences with direct vs Unison and NEVE

Hey

you will love the Apollo and Unison. So i run 2 cables out of the FM3 into the 2 inputs on the back of my apollo MKII. thats it, then in CONSOLE on the UA platform you can LINK the 2 tracks into one and record a single stereo input track but on one track in your DAW.

i usually use the NEVE 1073 UNISON plug because I really like it but you could easily build your own chain that you like. and honestly you could also just run it in with no processing, it sounds great on its own. for me, i have found that little NEVE touch, adds a little depth and goodness to the recording so i do less when I mix.

hope that helps, there is a Youtube video somewhere of a guy with our setup who shows this exact setup and what he does and sound differences with direct vs Unison and NEVE
Thanks man. Helps a lot! I’ve been reading a lot of things. Some say why go thought the Apollo becusee you’re just adding unnecessary conversion to the signal. Others say go direct USB….I tried that but cannot get it to work. I’m able to record in logic but I cannot hear anything as I’m playing. So I guess I will go with the direct xlr connection as you are. 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom