What studio monitors are you using?

A bunch of research, and I encountered this:

"My main monitors are Meyer HD-1 but I have several monitors setup for comparison. Alts always include my Yamaha NS-10m and Mackie 824 (clients actually requested the Mackies because it's what they use in their home studios).

Recently we went on a quest for some small monitors and the KH120 were on the radar. They are good sounding but I wonder if they would not be so popular if they still were just marketed with the K & H brand on them instead of the Neumann brand which Sennheiser stuck on them.

In the end, after evaluating a lot of small monitors we bought two pairs of Equator D5's for use in our production rooms. I love the "time aligned" sound of the coaxial speaker, it's totally real sounding.

I don't use a subwoofer on them because I like hearing what a bass impaired mix sounds like, then I switch to the Meyers to hear the low stuff.

IMO the Equator speakers hold their own with speakers costing over $1000 each. They play loud enough for near field monitors and the realism of the sound is incredible."

Adam Ax7 here too with the port fix and also a 7" Adam sub.
Came from the old Event 20/20bas that always had that thump.
So the sub just adds that little more low end.
Once my JVM sells looking at a couple of the full range systems too for jamming.
B

Well, after considerable research of reviews, and finding what I felt was a fair deal, I decided on a pair of Neumann KH120s with Mogami stands. They're slated to be here Tuesday.

There was a particular thread at Gear Slutz that helped convince me of them....although I didn't finish the thread before ordering, some minutes later finding out on the last page about the Equators. Out of stock, though, with some UK hoarders or something selling them for about twice retail (which may have been worth it anyways).

Still psyched about getting the Neumanns.

Got the Neumanns yesterday, and set them up. A very different experience, and I listened to several things (youtube) before I even picked up my guitar. When I did, I found the bass in my Axe patches to be much heavier than I thought, versus the recordings being pretty neutral. There's an eq block on the back, but I thought I'd alter my room before I messed with the speakers.

The units seem to be very well made. The packaging was very pleasing. The whole deal - Neumann speakers, Ultimate stands, and Mogami cables, shipping included - I found on ebay for $1560 from Sonic_Sense. I would recommend them: great deal, prompt communication, quick expediting and shipping.

xsnuu.jpg

They give you EU and US plugged power cables.

19dza.jpg

I love German fabrication.

yvmtr.jpg

A possible caveat for those wanting a smooth finish, these have a sort of (I would say intentionally) spattered texture.

1yino.jpg

I thought the woofer was textured, but actually there's a grill over it, which while I won't likely move or bump into these, I feel more comfortable there's some physical protection.

i2rt5.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom