What speaker do you use

msmith886

Inspired
What speaker does everyone use to run their AX8 through. I've had a little 50 w one I bought since I can't run through our mains exactly when I'm at home.

Wanted to see what everyone used out there.

I think you will find that answer all over the map! If you look in the Amps and Cabs section you can see what a lot of people are using from floor monitors to nearfield monitors to actual guitar cabs.

Toying around with getting a different speaker. Can't decide between a wedge, or little cab or doing running it through studio speakers. Will mainly be for home use and setting up effects.

Use mains and in ears for shows but would be nice to feel like I have an amp for some shows when I can't do ears etc.

I use both but in your situation if I had to choose one for home use it would probably be a set of good nearfields, either Equator D series or Yamaha SH80's.

Not sure would be nice if it was portable for shows where I can't use IEM's but honestly won't have that situation much. Will mostly be something I use for doing tweaking things at home etc.

Again it's hard to help out if we don't know what your budget is. There are all kinds of solutions out there from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. Wanting to be portable puts it into a different category so nearfields are not really an option. You really have to narrow it down to your primary needs.

For budget portability you might look at the EV zlx 12 a lot of people here like them.

I'm using JBL EON 610's either stereo or mono if I send L/R to the inputs.
These are the new series with IOS control via iPad. Prefer them to my old Alto TS112 which I sold to buy a second EON 610.
At home, I use Yamaha MSP3's which are 30 watt bookshelf monitors.

If you're considering using it on a gig, I'd veer that way as a solution. A lot of superior home speakers lose considerable function when they have to compete with other musicians and the distances of a stage.

Hands down, RCF 12 SMA NX

I wouldn't really call that "the practical or cheaper side of things", which is why I was trying to get the OP to call out a budget. Kind of hard to recommend something when you don't know how much he is looking to spend.

Hands down, RCF 12 SMA NX
Like Sixstring says, not a low cost option, but a killer speaker!

I'm thinking some of the lower cost options discussed in the amps and cabs section. Maybe even some of the older frfr speakers that used to be the "go-to" choices prior to the RCF and CLR, like the older Atomics. I have one of the 50 watt Atomic speakers, and it still sounds good with the Axe FX gear. Cheap these days. Lots of options out there.

Yamaha DXR10's here. $100 less that K10's. I sold my K10 and bought the yamahas....Sound fuller to me...but hey that's me. Google qsc k10 vs yamaha dxr10 and you get many reviews from players...

Yamaha DXR10's here. $100 less that K10's. I sold my K10 and bought the yamahas....Sound fuller to me...but hey that's me. Google qsc k10 vs yamaha dxr10 and you get many reviews from players...

I tried the DXR10, sound really nice, but it's a bit heavy for me IMO.

I also use the K10's first with my Ultra and now with the AX8 . I am very pleased with them.

Jens

I like open back cabs. For years I've used the Tech 21 PE60. I think it's $300.00.
Interesting ...

Have you ever done a side by side comparison of the PE60 against any of the usual FRFR solutions?

Or, say you leave Cab sim active and are happy with the modelled FOH sound if you take a wander out front - what do you find advantageous about the PE60? I'm sure it can't emulate the modelled tone seeing as it's not FRFR - but does it help create a more natural backline sound?

Back
Top Bottom