What solution for home use?

Acrobat

Hi all! I'm a happy Ultra user, and after having every other amp emulator, I'm quite sure that the Axe-Fx is the one to look after.

The issue is that I don't know how to replicate the "like an amp" feel playing at home. I use right now a couple of Dynaudio BM5A monitors, and it sounds quite well, but it lacks the feel, or "fullness" of playing an amp. With my Diezel Eistein, with the master quite down, I can get it, so I guess it's not a volume issue, maybe it's the 12" speaker.

Would I be able to replicate this with a FBT 12ma, or with a poweramp and a cabinet? Are these solutions good for low volume playing, or are they more designed to play at venues?

Thanks all in advance for your help!

I'm a home player and I've been exploring this recently too. I got an SLA1 off ebay and ran that into a 1x12 I had with a Greenback (G12H30) in it. I started by turning off the cab sim on Scott Peterson's Deluxe patch off Axechange and fiddled a bit from there and it sounded really damn good (to me) even at low volumes. I've messed around with a few other amp types and so far have been thrilled with the results.

I was going to try some different speakers but so far the greenback has handled the Fender/Vox/Marshall-ish stuff i've tried well enough that I haven't ordered anything yet. This was *exactly* what I was missing for when you just want to feel like you're playing an amp in a room. Adjusting the volume with the AxeFX output knob is really smooth...so it's easy to fine tune what flavor of "low volume" is needed (my tube amp has a space of about 1/16" of an inch on the knob that goes from too quiet to too loud for low volume situations).

I'm sure there are "better" power amps....but this was a pretty cheap way for me to see if this was the right path to go down and I've been amazed. So far I don't feel the need to upgrade at all.

Back
Top Bottom